Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weber WSM + Weber Performer < XL BGE

dantesinferno
dantesinferno Posts: 37
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

Hi everyone, first ever post and although I'm not worthy to be called an EggHead yet, I am seriously on the brink of unloading all my Webers in order to join the green team. These Webers are great but I want something more substantial and one thing that will grill, smoke, bake, roast and whatever else I want to do on one cooker instead of two. Patio space is getting limited with all these grills and smokers (I also have a gasser) and I think by getting a BGE, this would solve this problem and give us more room on the patio. Plus....it's the only reason my wife is even entertaining the idea of getting a BGE.

So I ask you fine people......is my equation in the title correct? Is an XLBGE greater than the weber duo and then some?

I know the space is definitely going to be a benefit, the temperature control especially during inclement weather is far better than the Webers, the BGE can cook for hours on end without adding extra fuel and the most important part.....it's just way cooler than the Webers. 

What else am I missing? Good or bad? How about the taste of the food cooked? Same or better on the BGE and why? 

I apologize for all the questions, just worried about making a very expensive mistake.

Thanks  

Comments

• I'm fairly new to the egg myself, but you can pretty much do everything on the egg that you would want to do- i've made pizzas, pork butts, etc...  However, as an owner of a Smokey Mountain, it's still nice to be able to smoke on my old smoker while I do something else on the egg- so I'm reluctant to tell you to get rid of your old contraptions because I'd hate to get rid of mine (I also have a large gas grill and an Orion Cooker).  Still if you have to, I think you're safe with using the egg to cover all needs.
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    edited August 2012
    Buy the Egg and be done with it!!!

You will find that the Egg can do everything every other grill/smoker can do and it does it even better! You will not be disappointed in the slightest. You can also use it like an oven to bake stuff in. 

• Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    My Smokey Mountain got donated after I got the BGE.  There is just no comparison for temp control not to mention leathry poultry skin on the S/M and then there's that greasy water to deal with.  My Weber kettle is stored way out back and covered.  I'm keeping it just in case I'm doing hot-and-fast at the same time I want to do not-so-hot in the BGE for company.  That situation hasn't arisen yet so if someone I really like needs it, they get the Weber kettle.  I don't know what your schedule is.  If you're employed (I"m not and never again intend to be) a gasser is way better than a stove when you don't have time for the BGE.  If space is severely limited donate the gasser and get the BGE.  Your real challenge is the wife.  Figure out what she wants to hear and say it.  You won't be disappointed, nor will she.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

I have a Weber also, but when my wife bought me the egg the Weber became a storge area for all my egg goodies.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Definitely no buyers remorse from me.  I love it, unfortunately i do work, so i use it alot on weekends and not so much during the week.  I have not lit the gas grill up since i got the egg.  the food is superior in so many ways.  Also, buy the biggest one you can afford!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• I have a Chargriller/w side smoker so I WISH I had WEBERS. Chargriller sure leaks the air but it did make a great meatloaf tonight for supper. I too have been debating between a XL BGE and even gave thought to a Weber Smokey Mountain and Performer duo. Even if you decide on the XL BGE I would keep the Weber grill just in case for larger cooks or using side by side w/egg. Also I've been looking at a FE1000PG. Decisions hopefully I'll have my mind made up shortly.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    When Weber was due to be replaced, we picked up a medium BGE, good fit for the two of us. I did keep and do maintain my old Broil King Regal gasser. Used it today for some hot dogs, grandkids here, The egg is currently at about 240F with 3 1/2 racks of ribs. 
    I'd dump the Webers, but if you have a gasser, keep it. They are great to do a quick cook or to act as a warming oven. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340

I still use my kettle a lot. I love both grills. If you were near Pittsburgh Pa I would love to buy your performer or wsm.

My food comes out great on both grills. I actually like cooking chicken on my kettle better. Especially on the rotisserie.

I would keep the performer before the gasser. Just my opinion.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Last grill you'll ever buy.  Like Packers tickets - you'll need to include it in your will.
  • I had the exact same set-up, the WSM and the Performer. I wanted to have just one BBQ/grill on my patio and went with the LBGE. I struggled with the XLBGE versus the LBGE, finally deciding on the LBGE. The kids are out of the house so there is just my wife and I, entertaining for parties of 8 - 10 adults. I've not found a shortage of space on the LBGE and just recently added the Swing Rack - dramatically increased the available space. Before the purchase, I had read that some didn't believe that the BGE is a good grill - after having my for ~2 months, I totally disagree. I've grilled several steaks, hamburgers, pork chops, etc., all with great results. I've also slow smoked a couple of pork shoulders and a brisket - the results were outstanding. I found that the BGE is much easier to maintain a low smoking temp then the WSM. My Performer is gone and the WSM will be gone soon as I'm sold on the BGE.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    ..don't forget, ceramic doesn't rust!

Mine has been outside uncovered for 8 years (4 in TX and 4 in WI). Still looks great and works perfectly. I've rebuilt 3 tables in that time frame (well, one table 3 times)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited August 2012

I had almost the same situation, Weber grill and Smoky Mountain (never owned a gasser though).
    I used my Smoky Mountain for 8 years and loved it.  It makes great "BBQ" but sucks for the winter weather I experience in Wisconsin.  That's the main reason I made the switch to the XL egg.  I'm an egg guy for life now.  Sold both my webers and have never once felt the need for an "extra" grill.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    In your shoes I'd have a hard time off loading all of your cookers. WSM - would be useful IF you need portability for some reason. If the gasser is in decent condition, has storage space, and has a side burner I'd be using the side burner for lighting chimneys (if not, it'd be the first to go). The performer table is nice but realistically you could add side tables, put the Egg in a table or just use a TV tray when needed & save space when not needed. Admittedly I have 11 cookers (4 are Eggs), a BBQ addiction disorder, and an ability to come up with reasons (not all good reasons) for keeping way more than I need so maybe you shouldn't listen to me. I am down from 12 so I'm making baby steps to recovering my patio. For your goals, I think the XL Egg would be a perfect fit.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • No, it's not better, it's different. I love my webers, and my eggs.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2012

R2EggEQ and I suffer from the same disorder.

A good point....portability.  The WSM is an awesome camping grill/smoker.  With the door prop mod and a third grate, I can do a boatload of wings indirect at 250 for an hour, then bump up to 350-400.  Nobody has to wait for the next batch.  

Also prefer the traditional BBQ meats on the WSM to the eggs.  I cannot achieve the meteorite bark on the eggs.  Guess there is a reason the WSM is the most decorated mass-produced smoker on the BBQ comp circuit (if that really means anything)

Modding each WSM adds a personal touch.  Piedmont pan, charcoal rings, adding grids, therm, guru eyelets, door prop mod, etc.  Sure there are many more, those are the ones I have done.  

Bought mine new on amazon a while back for $175.  I'd easily pay the now $300 for one.

With a very simple modification, the WSM makes a killer raised direct or indirect grill.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• A common misconception I run into is people saying "you have a thousand dollar grill!!!"

The egg is so much more than a grill. You can't even compare it to other "grills". Can u get your "insert grill" up to 800 sear a steak and then drop it to 400. Make it into a wood fire oven and do pizzas the right way. Smoke a brisket, two butts and a rack of ribs for 36 hours without adding charcoal.

Simply put. There's no comparison bud.

XLBGE 
  • I used Webers for years before purchasing my XL egg and made many great meals on them but the egg is in a class of its own.  As others have said,  it can do so much more than a weber kettle.  It is an all in one deal.  I still have my weber kettles and occasionally pull them into service.  Mostly on holidays or for entertaining, but I am thinking of adding a second ceramic so the weber's days might be numbered.  Right now, on my patio I keep my egg and my Weber Genesis and that fills most of my needs.  Purchase an egg and you will never look back with regret.
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    I will always keep my kettles (have 2). They are a great cooker and provide the ability to do my hot dogs/hamburgers/chicken at parties when the egg is doing the heavy lifting (brisket, butts, ribs, pizza). Then again you could eliminate this dilemma by purchasing 2 eggs.........
  • I will always keep my kettles (have 2). They are a great cooker and provide the ability to do my hot dogs/hamburgers/chicken at parties when the egg is doing the heavy lifting (brisket, butts, ribs, pizza). Then again you could eliminate this dilemma by purchasing 2 eggs.........

i totally agree with getting a second BGE .. right now i am up to 1 large and 3 medium BGE's  i recently sold my XL (due to not having enough space for it)  next item to sell is my weber performer its just taking up room on my balcony

• Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Sadly, the Webers will have to be sold to make room and fund for the egg. If I had more space and the money, I'd keep them all.
  • BGE trumps all, but I will never get rid of my webers! [-X
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • I'm with JerkChicken on this one.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • I'm fairly new to the egg myself, but you can pretty much do everything on the egg that you would want to do- i've made pizzas, pork butts, etc...  However, as an owner of a Smokey Mountain, it's still nice to be able to smoke on my old smoker while I do something else on the egg- so I'm reluctant to tell you to get rid of your old contraptions because I'd hate to get rid of mine (I also have a large gas grill and an Orion Cooker).  Still if you have to, I think you're safe with using the egg to cover all needs.
    So how do you like the Orion Cooker, ChulavistaEgg? I've never had anything off of it but I'm told they perform well..just need a boat-load of fuel. More curious than anything else..If I brought home another grill, my wife would definitely have something to say about it.
    X_X
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    I learned to smoke with a WSM. It is a fantastic smoker and my first choice recommendation for anyone who isn't quite ready for a BGE. Like many, I found it somewhat limiting when it came to grilling and I considered adding a Weber kettle in addition to my Weber gas grill. The primary decision was space. I wasn't going to get rid of the gas grill (still haven't, and still use it frequently) and three grills/smokers was more than my 1/4 of the patio would hold. Extending the patio wasn't an option, so I gave away the WSM and got a large BGE. For low/slow cooks I don't think the BGE is better/worse but it is certainly more versatile. I don't know if your equation is exactly right, but I wouldn't disagree that one BGE is at least as good as the two Weber charcoal grills.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I'm a grill/smoker aficionado.  I've got a Charbroil gasser (infrared), Holland Grill, Coleman Roadtrip grill, Margaritaville grill that mounts on truck for tailgating, Cookshack smoker and LBGE (soon to be XL BGE) and my stock comment is, "if I could only have one, it would be the BGE".
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    I just got rid of my Ducane gasser. I had it for 15 years, and it was still in good shape. But the large egg does everything I want, and I think the food tastes better. Only drawback I see is firing down to a lower temperature if you need to. But a bit of planning seems to get it to come out OK.
    LBGE
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I almost bought a WSM, I thought the egg was a bad design cause you need to take food out to add lump. Lol.
    Ive done 18 hour cooks without adding lump, and boy will an egg hold temps. And an egg laughs at the rain. My BGU (big green umbrella) helps, but its for me not the egg.
    Also glad my neighbor doesn't have to deal with the TON of smoke leaking from my el-cheapo vertical.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    One thing I have found that my Weber kettle does better than the XL Egg is cold smoking cheese.  I believe the metal shell dissipates the heat better and the internal temperature stays cooler for that particular use.  Of course Alton Brown has cold smoked in a cardboard box and several other contraptions over the years and it worked out for him.  I use the low wattage electric soldering iron method to generate the smoke and the kettle seems to distribute the smoke very effectively around the cheeses.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa