Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My BEST Pulled Pork YET!!

Hillbilly-Hightech
Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
edited August 2012 in Pork
So I was watching BBQ Pitmasters & the episode was Pork Butt.  One of the contestants was Moe Cason from Ponderosa BBQ, and his recipe looked pretty good, so I decided to give it a try.  

Original recipe here:  http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/cason-pork-butt-recipe.htm

However, I adapted it for my tastes, and I also didn't use a marinade (no real reason why, other than I just didn't - may do the marinade the next time).  

Anyway, details listed below.  As far as how it turned out, let's just say that this was my BEST pulled pork yet!!

ENJOY!!

Dome Temp = 275
Meat Internal Temp = 195-200
Rub = John Henry's Raspberry Chipotle Rub
Injection = 50:50 mix of Coke & ham stock (used the only brand I found @ the store which was "Superior Touch" Better than Bouillon Ham Base)
Method = Indirect w/ drip pan
Smoke = Cherry
Meat Size = ~6#
Time to Cook = 8+ HOURS!!!
Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee

Comments

• Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    I'm a little curious why the recipe calls for removing bone and butterflying the butt?
  • I'm a little curious why the recipe calls for removing bone and butterflying the butt?
    Good question, and I didn't do mine that way.  I just stuck it in there w/out cutting or trimming.  Anyway, it's been a few weeks since I watched the show, but if I remember, I think he did his more of like a "chopped" pork as opposed to a pulled pork (sliced it instead of shredded it), and so that might have been the reason for it. 
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    And what about the injection? How did that play out vs. the finished product? I've of the mind you're just as well off adding it after the cook. Butt I've just gotten hold of an injector and am itching to inject!
  • Never needed to inject a butt as it has plenty of moisture and flavor. But I guess if you wanted a different flavor profile it couldn't hurt. But good job on the butt it looks great.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Injector head's up-wrap whatever you plan to inject in a saran/plastic wrap and inject through the wrap.  Helps keep the stray shots confined and clean-up is a whole lot easier!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Does coke make for a good injection?

I've heard of people using it but I've never done it. I have used it as a marinade and I can see why it would be ok. All the acid in there softens up the meat quite a bit. I had a friend who used to do Dr. Pepper Steaks. He would marinated them in DP and italian dressing all day then grill em up. They were pretty good- I'm not a big sweet bbq/steak guy but I enjoyed it when he did it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Im doung brisket.. For the second time monday night and was debating on trying the coke inject
    That's equal to blaspheme down here so I'll reserve comment for someone who might have tried it. If you got caught injecting coke into a brisket down here, you might actually go to jail.

At the very least, your neighbors would shun you and you would probably have to move (assuming you could sell the house after such a heinous crime was committed there) :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dang, sorry - just saw the replies to this... 

anyway, the Coke / ham stock injection did seem to make it more moist (at least compared to my other butt I did).  

I've also heard of ppl using Dr. Pepper to inject.  

As far as that rub (Raspberry Chipotle) - it was very good, very unique - but I think next time I might "cut" it a bit w/ some DP or something cuz the raspberry flavor was very pronounced, not that that's necessarily a bad thing, just different.