Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Large Egg without feet...lesson learned!

tiger9601
tiger9601 Posts: 2
edited August 2012 in EGG Table Forum
After finally waiting for ever to jump on the Egg bandwagon, I bought a new large Egg.  Before I picked it up, I made a new table out of cedar with a recessed paver and inset granite top.  After scouring the internet for inspiration and some basic measurements I settled on a custom version based off measurements from the original green egg tables and from Nakedwhiz.  In both cases, the distance from table top to egg shelf was 15" so I built the table accordingly.  The one thing I didn't realize is that the eggs are no longer being shipped with the ceramic feet which turns out is a pre-requisite for being able to open the dome. 

I tried to talk to the local dealer and the Egg headquarters and both said feet were no longer available.  So, now I've got to come up with about 3/4" of a spacer to prevent dome interference with table top.  A little frustrated to invest so much money and time into something and then not even be able to fully open the lid!  Of course I can pay another $30 to buy a table nest that they have so conveniently added to their accessories list now.  

So...hopefully this can prevent others from making the same mistake.  If you're buying a new egg (or trying to not use the feet) the measurement needs to be about 14 1/4" from table top to paver top in order for large egg to fit properly. 

Comments