Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig

Comments

• Alright, this is getting ridiculous! I thought the egg was pricey, but now all the things you need to go with it, this week alone! Oh well, it's all worth it! I want some of these rubs! I did find it locally at JJ's Backyard, is it better to order online?

You won't need to pay shipping, so better to buy at your local store. But check out the web site and see.
  • Just did some summer squash on the egg with Tsunami Spin and it was great. Try it you will love it.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    do we have any Dizzy Pig managers who post here? I bet a "1 week free shipping to BGE forum users" sale would crussssssssh it . . . hit your monthly #'s in a week !!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Yeah, there are "managers" who post here. He's on vacation at the moment but he may chime in on this one.

Maybe free freight over $50 would get it done. if so....I'm in for $200

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533

Shoot after reading what everyone was saying about DP it was no question as to ordering the 1QT size. As many have said they ordered a few different ones but my wife would have kicked my butt! DP has built a large cult following and that is because you provide an outstanding product and the process time is outstanding as well.  What more can we ask for, other than more Dizzy Dust. 
    :D

Thanks! Well, that quart should season more than 150 pounds of meat! You should be good for a little while. Give us a shout any time! AleBrewer....if you like hops and a well balanced big beer, Lil Sumpin is amazing. But their Pale Ale and even their Pils are awesome too. Great brewery. Thanks again y'all! 

Back to vacationing!
    Chris

Chris,

Lagunitas is building a brewery in CHI, so expect to be able to get some of their seasonals. I really like lil sumpin wild, which is a fall release. Their ipa is the flagship. Anyhow, my question is there a benefit to ordering online as opposed to in person? Driving 20 miles vs shipping and handling. Lol
  • batboy
    batboy Posts: 26
    Here's an interesting discovery.  The family fell in love with the Raging River from the sample packs we ordered, so I ordered a shaker from a retailer selling on Amazon.com.  What I received was VERY different from the sample pack.  Different color, smell and taste -- and not for the better.  Dizzy Pig asked me to send back the unused jar (they are paying shipping) and they are sending me a new jar; they think that the retailer is selling old stuff.  Just an FYI for you Dizzy customers.  Here is a telling pic:

• Wow. That looks old.

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    and another testimony to their customer service!
  • So Im assuming when Dizzy Pig sends their product to be sold in a retail store it has a shelf life?  What is the recommended timeline to use the product? I bought the 1 qt size so now Im thinking maybe I should just buy in the 8oz size? Or just cook 150 lbs of meat as Chris told me, :D
  • batboy
    batboy Posts: 26
    Wow. That looks old.

I don't profess to know diddly about rubs, but I question whether age is culprit.  Not only do they look and smell different, but the consistencies are very different between the two - the sample is very refined with few coarse pieces, while the shaker is so coarse that it looks more like Pineapple Head (but is clearly not).  

Glad DP is replacing the shaker (I would have hoped for a freebie or two -- can anyone say Gift Pack!), but at least they are standing by their product and replacing the used jar.
  • Hi Batboy.
    I know Heather is working with you. The color of the rub in the bottle is a lot like the actual color of Raging RIver. The sample pack looks quite a bit redder, and we have figured two possibilities. First is that the sample was from April or May when we had a batch of paprika that was especially dark red. The flavor was the same though....so the other possibility is that a Dizzy Dust sample was inadvertently labeled Raging River. Either way, we'll get to the bottom of it.

Thanks again for the kind words yall!
    Happy cookin.
    Chris (I'm the owner, and generally try and stay clear of dizzy threads. Feel free to contact us here any time.)

Chris, The fact you are responding to this thread shows you care. Trust me that goes a long way with us consumers. I never thought the Dizzy Pig thread would generate such feedback and I’m sure you have taken interest.  You have a great product and the Eggheads have clearly supported that. Thank you for a great product and your great customer service.   

• SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    You guys are all DIZZY!
    Spend our cash on meat.  If you cannot make your own rubs or use another recipe throw your Eggs away.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • You guys are all DIZZY!
    Spend our cash on meat.  If you cannot make your own rubs or use another recipe throw your Eggs away.
    Thanks Sam. So glad you have it figured it all out for us. whatever would we do without you?

• Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266

You guys are all DIZZY!

Priggish close minded non-advice  
    is manifestly the argument of a man who has no substance to add to the discussion. Don't hate because the pantry in your single wide limits you to 16 ounces of Morton's salt and a couple other miscellaneous stale bottles of spice. The char from your freestanding Wal-Mart Charcoal unit should camouflage any flaws within your poor man's concoction of rub.
  • Rubmyrock
    Here's to you SamFerrise:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Here's to you SamFerrise:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Sweet! Love it. Got a hater on the thread.
    *-:) 8-X
  • Rock, like Christmas at your house. Look at all that spice. I see Venom is your choice. what's in the smaller packets? Samples? I'm doing baby back ribs today with DD so I'm ready to chow down today.

• I'm buying a kiln today to cast my own egg. i will also be buying a welder to make the grid and die casting equipment to make all the hardware. Everyone knows, if you don't make it yourself, it's worthless and you don't deserve to play in the bigs. 

• I'm buying a kiln today to cast my own egg. i will also be buying a welder to make the grid and die casting equipment to make all the hardware. Everyone knows, if you don't make it yourself, it's worthless and you don't deserve to play in the bigs. 

=))
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    edited July 2012
    You guys are cracking me up. Seriously though what is this guy smoking? Nobody told him he had to get Dizzy Pig. Those of us that enjoy it will continue to do so. I don't want to buy a ton of spices and use trial and error and waste said spices with rubs that don't stack up when I can just buy one that is proven. To each their own.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    edited July 2012
    Great post Sam.....very helpful! Who wants my large Egg now?

I have made many rubs in my day, however....my job requires that I be away from home. I get to fly home every few weeks...And when I'm home, I'd rather spend my time doing other things than making rubs. I am fortunate enough to make enough money in my job that not only can I afford to buy quality rubs, but I can also afford to buy plenty of stuff to cook too!

Now...I guess I'll head over to Dizzy's site and spend more money on more rubs...!

• Ale well said! And I feel the same way. I to am swamped with work and don't have time make a rub, or even try to make a rub. This is why we leave it to the professionals. If the knuckle head was to bash DP he has no clue what he is missing out on. If his rub is so good (he makes his own) then I invite him to share it with us.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I am going to order a whole batch of SamFerrise rubs. Can't wait to try them. His is so good I bet he sells it by the truckload...oh, wait...
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Hi54putty said:

I am going to order a whole batch of SamFerrise rubs. Can't wait to try them. His is so good I bet he sells it by the truckload...oh, wait...

=))
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257

Ya know, when I first read Sam's comment, I thought, just let it go...you guys have inspired me. I DO make my own rub, and it wins competitions (local stuff, mostly ribs), but.........

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Ya know, when I first read Sam's comment, I thought, just let it go...you guys have inspired me. I DO make my own rub, and it wins competitions (local stuff, mostly ribs), but.........

Rub it in, no pun intended. Love it!
  • Rubmyrock
    With that flailing cheap shot, Sam likely corkscrewed himself into the linoleum floor of his single wide trailer and is flirting with knocking himself out. Sam, consider yourself dogpiled. Your opinion advice on Dizzy Pig has sprinted into total irrelevance.
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    He rubs me the wrong way. Ha.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    "He rubs me the wrong way. Ha."

Nice! That made me laugh. NC humor, I guess.

XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • I'm loving my most recent DP shipment. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos