Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig

Comments

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    I've got 6 of Dizzy's rubs and they are great!

Just picked up Tsunami Spin today, and I've got chicken wings marinating in it right now. Trying it for the first time
  • I started out thinking I would make my own rub, to be more cost effective. Then I started buying the raw spice ingredients, and quickly realized there might not really be a major savings - especially if I wanted a wide variety.

Granted, buying from an Internet retailer like Wholespice.com helps.

I've fallen in love with Dizzy Pig. The diversity in flavors has me using a different rub every night.

I have chicken breasts on right now with Red Eye Express. Discovered by accident it works beautifully with Cherry Wood smoke and a BBQ sauce applied late when smoked at 225. Incredible flavors!

TC
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    @hopkinsusmc87 I have been smoking ribs on my BGE for 15 years.  Multiple, multiple rubs.  Never used anything but Dizzy Dust since I discovered it about a year ago.  You will remember the taste, long after you have forgotten the price.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Semper Fi Gunny. FormerMarine SSgt of 12 years active here.

Dizzy Pig spices are pretty damn good. My wife has fallen for them as well. We like Cowlick, Raging River, Swamp Venom and Dizzy Dust to name a few.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Hokie when you do wings, your just cooking them on the egg, right? So you leave them on until they are real crispy and then add sauce or you just using Swamp Venom.  You guys are giving me great ideas. Love it

Just like you said, I coated them in Swamp Venom, grilled direct until crispy, then I baste them with a 50/50 mix of Franks Hot Sauce and Yoshida's Hawaiian sauce. My GF says that the Swamp Venom is her favorite but I've used Dizzy Dust & Raging River, both are very good.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• lakebndegg
    lakebndegg Posts: 28
    Try redeye on a boneless pork loin,it's awesome
  • Semper Fi Gunny. FormerMarine SSgt of 12 years active here.

Dizzy Pig spices are pretty damn good. My wife has fallen for them as well. We like Cowlick, Raging River, Swamp Venom and Dizzy Dust to name a few.
    Thanks Hard Dod I will have to try them.
  • My order has already shipped, that is great service. Looks like it will be here Monday.
  • My order has already shipped, that is great service. Looks like it will be here Monday.

I've consistently had the same great experience. Orders very often ship within a few hours of placing the order. For a small business....they seem to have things really humming along!

TC
  • I have to agree. I am going to order the sample pack next week so I can try some of the items you all have been talking about. First thing is to try the wings, they sound great.
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Dizzy Pig is pretty awesome. Was so pleased when I found my BGE specialty store here in the area sells the 9oz shakers, and at $9 each! That's the same price as their website, and no shipping!

Still got beef with the specialty store, only open Saturday and Sunday from 1pm to 5pm. They will open for you by appointment though. Feel bad calling for an appointment so I can buy 2 bottles of rub, lol.

Dizzy rubs have awesome quality. They taste fresh an unique. I would love to make rubs that are as good as theirs. I doubt I could come close to making a rub that had such a great combination of flavors.
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    You didn't get the new ones? ;;)

I remember a thread a while back reviewing some new DP rubs. I've been anxiously awaiting the retail release of the Bombay rub. I check DP's website on a regular basis and haven't seen anything about them. Does anyone know where they are available, or if they are?

Thanks.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    I went to a BGE dealer in ATL yesterday who let me sample all of Dizzy Pig's and a few others. It was tough for me to decide how they would really compliment the meat of choice-I would rather have the same piece of meat prepared with each to help determine. I personally liked the dust and pineapple  the best. My all-time fav tho, are still John Henry's...I also got to sample some of his newest flavors. You simply can't beat 1/2 and 1/2 mix of Tammy's Herbal and Sugar Maple... it is outstanding and I always get rave reviews...I did not buy any of the Dizzy because I have a huge supply of JH and WIlliam Sonoma (good too) rubs right now.
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    As for making your own rubs, I am just not good at it. I do not have a culinary background but love grilling. I wouldn't know where to start for making a rub aside from looking at ingredients on other rubs or taking recipes off the web. That is why I like Dizzy Pig. I had never heard of it prior to getting my egg and coming on this forum. I am hooked now though. I will let the people that know what they are doing mix it up. I do envy you folks that know how to come up with your own rubs though. Seems that is a nice skill to have.
  • Great comments, I to wish I had the skill to make my own rub. I hate the thought of spending a bunch of money trying to figure out a well balanced rub. This is why I went with DP. I should get it tomorrow so I'm excited to try it.
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    I think you will be happy with it. I had some steak last night with Cow Lick from Dizzy Pig. Dizzy Pig + BGE is a mean combination. Hard to beat. The Dizzy Pig guys are Eggheads too.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    I recently got three DP rubs, and used them all this past weekend.

I used "Shakin the Tree" on some chicken thighs, and it was really nice. Not your typical lemon-pepper rub at all.

Then I used some "Red Eye Express" on some lamb chops, again.....no complaints. I usually use olive oil, rosemary, and garlic on my lamb chops, but this was a nice change.

And finally, I used some "Dizzy Dust" on a rack of baby backs this morning. I did two racks, but wanted to compare the DD to my rub. When I first tasted the DD, I was surprised at how close it tasted to the rib rub I have been making for years. The DD is a bit sweeter, and lighter than my rub. After the cook, we tasted them side by side, and again....very close in taste. I  liked the DD a bit better because they must use less chili powder than I did in my last batch. My rub varies a bit form batch to batch.

All in all, the DP rubs were great, and I plan on getting some other ones to try out. Very quick shipping too!

• Ale good stuff, I'm excited to start using DP. Based on everyone's comments this stuff must be the bomb. When I do a rack I'll give a report. Keep an eye out for it.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You didn't get the new ones? ;;)

I remember a thread a while back reviewing some new DP rubs. I've been anxiously awaiting the retail release of the Bombay rub. I check DP's website on a regular basis and haven't seen anything about them. Does anyone know where they are available, or if they are?

Thanks.

I think they are going to be available this fall. Tried them at GA mountain fest...pretty damn good

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    I have made some great rubs. It's more time than I like to spend though. If I was in competition, yes. For my house, I prefer the ease of buying award wining rubs and spend the time drinking instead. :)
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • I have made some great rubs. It's more time than I like to spend though. If I was in competition, yes. For my house, I prefer the ease of buying award wining rubs and spend the time drinking instead. :)
    AMen to that!
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    I have made some great rubs. It's more time than I like to spend though. If I was in competition, yes. For my house, I prefer the ease of buying award wining rubs and spend the time drinking instead. :)
    AMen to that!
    + 1
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    AMen to that!

+1

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• jleon401
    jleon401 Posts: 33
    Found two local dealers today! One is a dollar cheaper than the other....guess which one I chose? Bought two dizzy dust, one Tsunami Spin, and a Cow Lick. Going to do half chickens tonight with the Dizzy Dust and Tsunami Spin. Will try and post pics after cook.
    LBGE, Smoke Hollow 4-in-1, Charbroil Big Easy, and Weber Smokey Joe.
  • I recently got three DP rubs, and used them all this past weekend.

I used "Shakin the Tree" on some chicken thighs, and it was really nice. Not your typical lemon-pepper rub at all.

Then I used some "Red Eye Express" on some lamb chops, again.....no complaints. I usually use olive oil, rosemary, and garlic on my lamb chops, but this was a nice change.

And finally, I used some "Dizzy Dust" on a rack of baby backs this morning. I did two racks, but wanted to compare the DD to my rub. When I first tasted the DD, I was surprised at how close it tasted to the rib rub I have been making for years. The DD is a bit sweeter, and lighter than my rub. After the cook, we tasted them side by side, and again....very close in taste. I  liked the DD a bit better because they must use less chili powder than I did in my last batch. My rub varies a bit form batch to batch.

All in all, the DP rubs were great, and I plan on getting some other ones to try out. Very quick shipping too!

So please post your rub recipe so we can play with it? If it's that close to Dizzy, I would like to be able to make it in a bind.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I use Butch's Smack Your LIps Rub.....but have some Dizzy Pig on the way....can't wait to test them out against each other!!

http://bbqbutch.ameriwealthweb.com/

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555

So please post your rub recipe so we can play with it? If it's that close to Dizzy, I would like to be able to make it in a bind.

I will see if I can find the original recipe I started out with. I have made some changes to it over the years, but it was a good rub to start with.
  • Mattlock
    Mattlock Posts: 64

Please share this recipe, original or modified.   :D
    Newbie Egghead - Just got a LBGE at the Georgia Eggfest! Life is Good!
  • Well the DP has arrived, but Im stuck at work babysitting a wind turbine.  Well its going to be a late dinner tonight.  Well it will be simple, burgers!  Got some good fresh ground burger, going to dust them with some DP and cook them at 650 for two mins each side then flip once more and close the egg down to 400 for another four mins. Should be a nice med/well burger. :-w
  • I did wings tonight with Jamaican Firewalk, Swamp Venom, Tsunami Spin, and Shakin' the Tree. It seems Tsunami always works it's way to the top when we do taste tests. We love Firewalk as well and I literally threw away a new can of Tony's when I tasted Swamp Venom again tonight. Shakin' the tree?........I can live without it. Not bad, but not spectacular
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX