Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long have you wanted an Egg before you got one?

Rich_ie
Rich_ie Posts: 268
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have wanted an Egg for 7 years. Your gunna ask why did you wait? The reason??? I DONT KNOW.. Food or my gasser was good food off the Egg. MMMMmmmmmm 

Comments

• Forever! I could never afford one. Happy now.
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    About a month.  I try not to waste any time.  I lurked on this forum for about 3 weeks listening to the stories about how great everything is, drank the kool-aid, then decided where i wanted to buy.  No looking back now.  The old gas grill is nothing but a storage unit now until i can move the bohemuth out to the curb on trash day.  I am sure some sucker still cooking on gas will scoop it up!  Next......an outdoor kitchen!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• allitnils
    allitnils Posts: 109
    Mine was more of an impulse buy. I didn't know they existed until window shopping on a cold Sunday afternoon.. Saw it in the store, was intrigued so I went home, read about it and the next day was the proud owner of the last egg sold in Australia.

Well.. One of the last, anyway.
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    2 years for me. The day came when my gasser broke in half from rust on the pedistal and fell over.
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    about 5 years for me but now I have 4
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    A couple years and then I had BBQ chicken off an Egg and that was it...I always thought my Q off the weber was pretty good, but the Egg takes it to a whole new level.
  • dtun1
    dtun1 Posts: 32
    It took me a year to talk myself into spending that much on a grill. Why did I wait so long? I gave away my Weber gas grill after the first time I used my egg. I'm still hanging on to my large gas smoker but I honestly don't know why.
  • Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    Technically it was "no wait" as I saw one at a theme park's BBQ festival an after commenting about how impressed I was - best freind/wife and sons surprised me just before Father's Day when the gasser's bottom tray rusted and collapsed. 6 years later lucky enough to have a XL to go with the L.
    You could say I waited more than 40 years for a komodo though, as my father had an old clay one when I was young. Did a great job of cooking but you out no get the temps to high - didn't have the BGE warrantee
    ;)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    A couple of months. I was wavering back and forth and the Plano Outlaw Eggfest a few years back sold me on it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tactical_66
    tactical_66 Posts: 207
    18 months. My friend had one and I needed my own
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Not long.  I received an offset smoker for free.  I cooked several times on it, to make sure I liked smoking food and learning to control fire/temps. I was making some really good food on it, but it was very time/labor extensive to monitor temps and feed the box.
    Soon as I was comfy with my technique and read more about the versatility of the Egg, I ordered one.  I ordered it in March to pick up at my local Eggfest this Saturday. Four months is a long time to wait. It was discounted for purchasing it at the Eggfest, but looking back, I think I would have paid full price to have it back in March and already be using it for months.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• 2-3 years
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Looked into them for about five years, only took about 3 months to pull the trigger once I realized what I was missing out on. Even then I had no idea of what I was missing out on, since my main sales point was smoking through the winter months. I read a lot about them, but WOW! Using is believing!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    +1 with Hapster-once I acquired the freakin knowledge it was a quick buy.  Now, "How long before I found the profound knowledge to make that buy?"-that's a whole 'nother discussion.  And let the record show-as with most (all?) of us-didn't pull the trigger soon enough!  But better late to the party than to miss the whole thing!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    I heard talk from a relative for a year prior to buying, but I was living in an apartment that wouldn't allow any type of charcoal grill.  So when that year was almost over and I knew I was moving to my house, I probably researched for 3 months then got it 2 months after moving here.

I wish I'd have discovered them when I was just starting to cook at age 18, rather than age 34.
  • about a year...knew mt old pit was dying and spent about a year doing the research...love my egg now i just gotta get a plan on what i want in a table.

• mrjwhit
    mrjwhit Posts: 83
    I waited 3 years. Wanted to get in a place financially where I wouldn't regret it. The foods so good now I wouldn't have regretted ur long either way.
    Large BGE as of Father's day '12 http://www.jwhit.com
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    24 years. Gassers and cheap water smokers all that time. Worth the wait!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Shipping time since I tasted the food at a fair. LOVE my egg.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,430
    I got interested in the Egg five or six years ago, but the "dealership" I visited didn't have anything in stock and didn't seem too interested in me, so I left and let the idea drop.
    Last summer my electric water smoker rusted through, it was "spring cleaning" day in my city that Saturday (free dumpster dropoff) and on my way home from tossing my smoker I noticed a new hardware store/grand opening, so I stopped by.  They were also a new BGE dealer and were handing out samples of 'que, chicken, and chocolate chip cookies.  I ate, I watched, I asked, and I listened.
    I don't believe in witches, karma, gods or luck, but the stars just seemed to align and I was soon loading up a Large, nest, and accessories.  Bought a Small a month later.  
    Just wish that first dealership had been more accomodating, that's a lot of years missing out.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

I had known about the egg for a long time. Every new gasser that I had to buy involved a lot of research but it was always: I am NOT going to give that much for a lump of clay. :)

Well after going through a series of gassers all rusted out inside with shiny SS still on the outside, decided it was time. Got it just before the 4th of July.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• eddiepro
    eddiepro Posts: 42
    ~3 years of seriously wanting until this spring!
  • lakebndegg
    lakebndegg Posts: 28
    Looked at them for about 2 years then I went to the first eggfest in Winston Salem and came home with a large..Now I have a large and medium at lake shack, large and small at the house and a small and mini at the river..Weber summits at home and lake are storage containers
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Our gasser was in need of parts, upon further cleaning it was clear it wasn't going to be worth trying to repair. Surfed the net looking at different options, found the BGE and it really made sense. Went to a dealer took a look at them. Dealer invited me to a demo cook the following weekend. Went there, and we were sold. Bought a large and love it. Getting closer to picking up a small (thinking a mini is not going to work for us). This EGG Thang is addictive.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • brewbq
    brewbq Posts: 52
    I knew I wanted something better than what I was using for about 5 years, but due to moving from Germany and deployments (and let's face it, money was a factor) I just wasn't in the right position to invest in one.  I was planning to buy one next year after I moved to San Antonio, but my father-in-law surprised me with a large after he heard from my wife that I was raving about eggs.  Needless to say, I owe him something big and I'm trying to figure out how to repay him.  I think I'll have to convince him to get one for himself and cook for him when we go to visit.
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268

brewbq speaking for myself Grand kids are the best gift.   :D
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    First time I cooked on one or heard of one was around June last year. I had a infrared gasser that I had bought right before.
    Well Feb of this year a tree feel in my yard from a storm and crushed my grill. Used insurance money to help pay for the Egg which I got around March

If not for that tree tho I honestly would prolly still own and use the gasser. The "down payment" from insurance helped convince the wife.
    Boom
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    1 year 18 days
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    2 yrs 3 weeks 12 hours 21 minutes 47 seconds. There was a bit of a delay bcuz no less in stock.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I fell in love with the egg in the mid eighties and have wanted one ever since. The husband thought I did a pretty good job with the gasser and smoker and didn't see the need. Well, I fooled him and now he is in love with the food that comes off the egg. His favorite is the smoked standing rib roast and that is something I never did before. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !