Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prepping a 9.75 butt for a friends party tomorrow

Options

Comments

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Yes, I slept stress free brotha! Woke up right at 225 i set it to, I love it. It smells amazing on the deck, hoping to stall soon for a couple hours, I want this to be done as close to 3pm as possible

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    I did 2 butts similar in weight and they stalled at 171 forever,  then when I just could not wait anymore I moved the probe and bam 205.  I put them on at 1:30 am  took them off at 3PM.  Good luck!

• michigan_jason
    Options
    I did 2 butts similar in weight and they stalled at 171 forever,  then when I just could not wait anymore I moved the probe and bam 205.  I put them on at 1:30 am  took them off at 3PM.  Good luck!

So are you saying that you would have overcooked your butts if you didnt move your probe? This is why I have a thermapen to accompany the bbq guru digi q. I am curious though if it was an error on your part or just a fluctuation in the temp of the meat in different areas, I cannot see it being that far off in 2 different spots though. I have not seen that kind of fluctuation in butts ive done previously.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• michigan_jason
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Ok, here is an update. I saw on someone elses post that they had their fire go out, so I am showing a pic of how little my DW is open

Barely even open and been holding at 225 since last night at 11pm

Here are a few more

Internal at 174* (camera has a problem capturing the lcd display, but it is clear to the naked eye)

Grate at 225* as programmed (again, nothing wrong with the guru, just camera isn't picking it up properly)

The culprit for keeping things that way :)

Dome reads the same as the GURU probe clipped to the grate.

That is all for now, I am officially in the stall and hope to be here for a while.

More updates to come.

Jason

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Hows your stall going?
  • michigan_jason
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Good. sitting at 177 for now.

I am either a super techie computer nerd or this is a cool idea for a future cook....

I was thinking about setting up a webcam and creating a live feed so people could check in on a cook (talk about a real group cook lol)

I guess I am a techie nerd, here is some of my laptops I have to sell/rebuild.

Is that a crazy idea? lol, at the very least i wanted to do it so I can tie in from my cell phone and see th readout on the DIGI Q when I am away from home...

• Brownie
    Options
    Looks like you better focus on that pile of laptops first!
    =))
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    That is a stock pile lol not ones that are being worked on for customers. The customer pile is much smaller lol. Those are just ones that I sell when people ask or call for one.

• michigan_jason
    Options
    11:40AM EST, 12:40 into cook, still in the stall. Butt at 177... My deck smells amazing, all though I cannot stand out there too long because it is already about 90 and swampy as hell.

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Instead of a server farm looks like you have a laptop farm. Coming from a fellow techie, I applaud your organization skills. If I had that much sitting around it would surely be a huge pile of mess.
  • Brownie
    Options
    I got 97* in the shade in eastern Pennsylvania. Another pool party at the in laws today.
    B-)
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Yea, I hear ya! The party I am taking this butt to I will take my boat about 10 nautical miles on lake st Clair to get there. We will be out on the water all day with about 40-50ppl on different boats and what not, should be fun. If you are not on a boat or by a pool on days like today, you should be. :)

• michigan_jason
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Instead of a server farm looks like you have a laptop farm. Coming from a fellow techie, I applaud your organization skills. If I had that much sitting around it would surely be a huge pile of mess.
    Nope, only have one server. Thanks for the compliment, but man that is only one side lol... I will show some more I suppose...

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Now here is a cluster F*@!K of wires lol.

and a little messy area that all the "ohh screw it" stuff gets tossed

imageimage

and some hdd's, memory and cpu's

also some older laptops that i sell to people that just want to give their kids a cheapo because they know they will break it anyway.

• ncbbq
    Options
    Looks like a techies dream.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Yes, its where I make the money to pay for all my egg stuff.

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Ok, so the internal on the DIGI Q now reads 183 so I pulled out the thermapen just to insurance, figured why not snap a pic while I was at it. Thermapen read 184,188,186 depending on where I put it, so I am close, but hopefully it will go another hour or more.

• michigan_jason
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Also, for those considering a LARGE vs an XL, take note at the XL's real estate... That is almost a 10lb butt right there...

• Brownie
    Options
    That doesn't make your butt look big at all.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    That doesn't make your butt look big at all.
    Hahahahahahahahhaha..... Next time someones wife asks that question just tell her to get an XL EGG. I cant say that for mine bc she is 115lbs, but it would be great.

• Brownie
    Options
    Don't think I'll touch that with a broom stick. I'm smarter than I portray myself. (at least a little bit smarter)
  • Brownie
    Options
    Jason, where's your butt at? Mines at 174*. Wondering who will get done first.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    I am at 188

• michigan_jason
    Options
    possibly 190, I am down in the lair and finishing a laptop job and a few beers before I FTC to take it on the boat and over to the party.

• ncbbq
    Options
    Getting close. At the risk of speaking too soon, I think you nailed it.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Are you speaking of my as close to 3pm as possible goal? :-) ...if so, shhh lol.

• ncbbq
    Options
    Well I think you may be done earlier, I was just talking about nailing the butt (no pun intended, ha). Finishing early is better than late though. FTC and you will be good for 4 hours.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    I am at 195 right now, probe slides like butter on the left side of the butt, however not so much on the right side... I am leaving her in for a little longer... thoughts?

John....??????????? :):D

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I am at 195 right now, probe slides like butter on the left side of the butt, however not so much on the right side... I am leaving her in for a little longer... thoughts?

Leave it until it's done everywhere
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • michigan_jason
    Options

Leave it until it's done everywhere
    I knew you were lurking.... :)

wont that make my area that is already done overcooked?