Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First over night

bigphil
bigphil Posts: 1,390
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just put a 8lb shoulder on for a family get together tomorrow . Injected it with apple juice and cider vinegar also a little dizzy dust then coated it with olive oil, yellow mustard and a heavy coat of dizzy dust last night and left it sit . Pit is set at 245 figuring at least 16 hours with hickory and apple chips lace through out wick good lump and about four chucks of apple wood on top of that . Sitting on a V-rack drip pan under it with apple and cranberry juice and a bit of garlic powder in it . also using the BBQ guru. More to follow tomorrow hopefully 
Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Good luck!
    An overnight cook is one of my favorite things to do. I can't eat that much food so I make pulled porks for the local firefighters. You should be close on time but I'm guessing it will be done in 15 hours at 250. Keep us posted. If you are not using a power draft temp controller, bend up a metal coat hanger for a wiggle rod.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    If you're at 145 grid level on an 8 pounder.  I bet a dollar it will be done closer to 10-11 hours than 16 hours.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    If you're at 145 grid level on an 8 pounder.  I bet a dollar it will be done closer to 10-11 hours than 16 hours.
    Agree Choke.  With that temp I don't think it will take 2 hrs per lb.  12 hrs at most, would be my guess.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited June 2012
    Agree Choke.  With that temp I don't think it will take 2 hrs per lb.  12 hrs at most, would be my guess.

Yeah, I usually see closer to 1.25 / 1.35 hours per pound at 250 grid level temp.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• nice cook. next time lose the olive oil. You don't need it and it can make your bark softer. Mustard is OK- it's water based and will dry out and let the bark firm up. Oil can emulsify the rub and keep it from getting really firm.

Can't wait to hear the outcome. sounds awesome
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eller
    Eller Posts: 56
    Just did an 8 pounder at 250 degrees. I pulled it from the egg with internal temperature at 200 degrees. Duganboy  nailed it... 12 hours total. It was a great cook. Good luck with your overnight. Get some sleep... trust your egg !
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Have fun, I am doing my first brisket tonight.
  • bigphil
    woke up at 5am checked the egg it was holding at 245 and the meat was at 168 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • bigphil
    nice cook. next time lose the olive oil. You don't need it and it can make your bark softer. Mustard is OK- it's water based and will dry out and let the bark firm up. Oil can emulsify the rub and keep it from getting really firm.

Thanks for the tip i didn't know that just read and saw that others have done that , also seems i reached my stall point at 175 been sitting there a while now but still have plenty of time till i need to have it ready 
  • bigphil
    past that mark already but instead of the dollar i'll take tips and recipes lol 
  • mjontrack
    mjontrack Posts: 18

My stall temp must be 159, its been there a couple of hours.  Grid temp 228    C'mon Egg---

• bigphil
    11am and the shoulder is at 190 gonna let it go a bit longer since i have time 
  • bigphil
    it's high noon and the temp is at 195 . time to pull it wrap in foil and a towel and into the cooler it goes most likely will rest for 1-2 hours before pulling . my daughter made up a vaunted vinegar sauce , carolina red sauce and a mustard bbq sauce and the old stand by tomato based sauce she also did a no mayo coleslaw with a bite . It's off to my sisters now thanks for looking any tips greatly appreciated 
  • mjontrack

Lucky you :-)  I increased the temp to 275 and its now at 177   Now it will be dinner   not lunch

• mjontrack

I need to buy some squeeze bottles!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

Lucky you :-)  I increased the temp to 275 and its now at 177   Now it will be dinner   not lunch

Each hunk of low&slow behaves on its own-I always plan 2 hrs/# at around 250*F on the dome (+/-). The foil, towels, cooler option (FTC) gives you time on the back-side of the cook should things run long.  You can easily hold low&slow hunks of meat 4-5 hours with the FTC-easier to remove the potential "not finished and guests arriving" crisis on the front end.  But just an opinion and we all know what those are worth-regardless, enjoy the end results.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nice cook. next time lose the olive oil. You don't need it and it can make your bark softer. Mustard is OK- it's water based and will dry out and let the bark firm up. Oil can emulsify the rub and keep it from getting really firm.

Thanks for the tip i didn't know that just read and saw that others have done that , also seems i reached my stall point at 175 been sitting there a while now but still have plenty of time till i need to have it ready 
    I used to do it as well but figured iutnitnhurt more then it helped. Next time try without and see if the bark firms up even more
  • mjontrack
    This was our first overnight cook and will def do again.  Have to learn how to plan better as far as cooking time.   Can I wrap the pork in foil and let it sit for thirty min? Will it be okay (cool enough) to shred?  Its at 183 now so we are passed the stall.
  • *It hurt more than it helped......geez this
    Phone
  • lousubcap
    This was our first overnight cook and will def do again.  Have to learn how to plan better as far as cooking time.   Can I wrap the pork in foil and let it sit for thirty min? Will it be okay (cool enough) to shred?  Its at 183 now so we are passed the stall.
    For good "pulled pork" you need to get to the mid 190's-low 200's-no resistance to a probe.  That said, you can slice anywhere above the stall point which is where you are.  However, just to potentially change things up a bit more-there can be another mini stall of a couple of hours around 190*F.  You could tightly wrap in foil and throw back on the BGE to punch it home to the above temps- google "Texas Crutch" as that is the use of foil to finish.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    For good "pulled pork" you need to get to the mid 190's-low 200's-no resistance to a probe.  That said, you can slice anywhere above the stall point which is where you are.  However, just to potentially change things up a bit more-there can be another mini stall of a couple of hours around 190*F.  You could tightly wrap in foil and throw back on the BGE to punch it home to the above temps- google "Texas Crutch" as that is the use of foil to finish.
    @lousubcap is one of the masters on this forum, so listen to him.  The big lesson is never do a low and slow planning to take it off and serve because it might not be ready AND it is almost impossible to get it done too early because it is so easy to hold.
  • This was our first overnight cook and will def do again.  Have to learn how to plan better as far as cooking time.   Can I wrap the pork in foil and let it sit for thirty min? Will it be okay (cool enough) to shred?  Its at 183 now so we are passed the stall.
    @lousubcap is one of the masters on this forum, so listen to him.  The big lesson is never do a low and slow planning to take it off and serve because it might not be ready AND it is almost impossible to get it done too early because it is so easy to hold.
    I agree with Dugan on all counts. You can push a butt through the stall if you need to as Cap points out above. It won't hurt the meat at all. You are in good hands and getting the correct advice from "the master" (of what I am not sure) :))
  • mjontrack

TY lousubcap! :-)  The smaller one reached 195 and I pulled it off the Egg and its wrapped in foil and then a towel and sitting in the cooler waiting on its brother.    It smells DEVINE!

• mjontrack
    shoot now I need to learn how to flip my pics around
  • lousubcap

Okay-never forget-"judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from poor judgement".  Thus the school of "hard knocks" comments on a few topics here. And I owe Duganboy for the above :)>- Let's not forget, all we are trying to do(for the greater part) is help someone out.

And I have no expertise with watermelon tossing

:)
  • Okay-never forget-"judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from poor judgement".  Thus the school of "hard knocks" comments on a few topics here. And I owe Duganboy for the above :)>- Let's not forget, all we are trying to do(for the greater part) is help someone out.

And I have no expertise with watermelon tossing

:)
    You are better off for not having such experience. It's really best left to the mouth-breathing knuckle draggers of this world like me :)

As far as helping out others from your school of hard knocks.....that's a pretty good school my friend. Sign me up.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    shoot now I need to learn how to flip my pics around
    Look at the file in paint and then rotate it until the picture is right way up.
  • bigphil
    let it rest for two hours and then pulled it apart was still extremely warm from sitting in the cooler and turned out to be one of the best i ever made . Was a huge hit first thing to disappear and Cen-Tex right on the money the bark wasn't as firm as other's i've done but on the plus side was a bit easier to break up and mix through the meat also was one of the moistest shoulders i've done should have gotten a egg 8 years ago when i first heard about them. 
  • mjontrack

Two pics   One  of the pork butts we made today. It was our first overnight cook.  The ribs we did on Memorial Day.  The stack method worked great.

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Did you run the temp lines up in the D/W?