Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Papa Murphys

Options
2»

Comments

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    We actually had PM last night, but since it was pouring rain, coming down at an angle so my covered patio was soaking and thunder and lightning....it went in that square box in the kitchen. :((

I had the same thing last night, Wife wanted stir fry and I told her the only way we are eating stir fry if its on the egg. After going back and forth about this and then made the remark she should cook, We had Babes Fried Chicken.

Which is real good as well.

Hopefully stir fry tonight.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Mmmm...love me some Babe's Their Chicken Fried Steak is out of this world. And their fried chicken.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Options
    I need to grab a picture when I get home...but we had a huge tree limb come down last night. A coupla feet over and me might have lost the Egg.

Rowlett, Texas

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    I've only done Costco pizzas, have yet to try Papa Murphy's. 

Anyone that has done both Costco & PM - which do you prefer & why?  Also, any difference in how you cook one versus the other, or cook both the same way?
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • TUTTLE871
    Options
    I need to grab a picture when I get home...but we had a huge tree limb come down last night. A coupla feet over and me might have lost the Egg.
    My Parents live out in Ft Worth on the Lake and had a huge cottonwood come down and almost hit one of the boats they have.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I've only done Costco pizzas, have yet to try Papa Murphy's. 

Anyone that has done both Costco & PM - which do you prefer & why?  Also, any difference in how you cook one versus the other, or cook both the same way?
    I like them both. Costco is bigger. The dough has always been a little dense and the topics (except for the Margarita) are a little greasy...not always a bad thing if you are in that type of mood.

Papa Murphy overall is lighter and tastes fresher. It's not as heavy or greasy. With a coupon, you can get a large pepperoni for $6 or you can pay more for one of their specialty pizza's. The people at my local Papa Murphy's are freakishly nice people which is rare for food service in Dallas. Plus, they have a multitude of options and a frequent buyer card.  

I would try both if I were you. I like both but prefer Papa Murphy's...which is weird because I used to think Papa Murphy's had the biggest scam going. ("Wait a minute?!?! They make you cook your OWN pizza?!?! It's just a glorified grocery store!!")

Hope this helps.

Since
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I tried something new where I raised the stone with high heat bricks but didnt get the same results (It Could be in my mind) but I didnt get the crust evenly cooked.

Probably not in your mind, I'd bet the bricks absorbed the heat from that area on the stone. 
    If you add bricks, you need to add time to let them all heat up. Bricks are a heat sink just like the ceramic. Once they are all warmed, then you should get an even cook.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TUTTLE871
    Options
    Next one Im going to do the Grate on the place setter and the stone on the grate.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• fish8503
    fish8503 Posts: 30
    Options

iQuick question about the pizza picture at the top... I did a search for grill grate extenders and didnt the exact type shown in the picture... where did you find them, what are they called and do they really work good/great?  Thanks for the info.  Thinking of getting a pizza tonight from PM and do a test on one....i

Can you do two pizzas at the same time?  How tough is it to get to the bottom one withiout screwing with the top one too much?i

http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-adjustable-rig-r-b-oval-combo/

I think it would be hard to do two at the same time, you might be able to get a smaller one on there.

I imagine someone on here has done two pizzas befor.

• fish8503
    fish8503 Posts: 30
    Options
    used the crust that is already made. 2 in a pack, added my toppings. used two 13" Brinkman stones from Home Depot ($12 each). the BGE grill extener just went over the bottom one. First pizza's i've done. were'nt fancy but they were good.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos. Mine turn out great with this set up
    Lynnwood WA
  • Canary
    Canary Posts: 37
    Options
    I've always found the Costco pizzas too salty. Don't know for sure, but I think it's MSG. I have a specific reaction to MSG (sleeplessness and dehydration).
    If Canary can do it you can too!
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    PM on a Tuesday any size for $10... Guess what we had tonight...
    Lynnwood WA
  • Griffin
    Options
    PM on a Tuesday any size for $10... Guess what we had tonight...
    Steak? No....ribs? =))  I kid, I kid.

Rowlett, Texas

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    I have a question. If I put the plate setter legs down on my XL, can I cook this in the cardboard that is supplied right on top of the plate setter (using it as a surface)?
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    Options
    I have a question. If I put the plate setter legs down on my XL, can I cook this in the cardboard that is supplied right on top of the plate setter (using it as a surface)?
    If you don't want the pizza to touch your platesetter, try aluminum foil rather than using their cardboard.
  • Sgt93
    Options
    If you don't want the pizza to touch your platesetter, try aluminum foil rather than using their cardboard.
    How about alum foil under the cardboard separating the plate setter and pizza? I'm going for it! I knew I should have picked up the XL Stone today. Thanks for the advice. STARVING
  • Sgt93
    Options
    Pizza turned out great! Thanks for the foil idea (that I didn't even think about). :)
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    Options
    How about alum foil under the cardboard separating the plate setter and pizza?
    The idea is to get rid of the cardboard entirely!  If pizza crust is insulated from the platesetter, it won't get crisp, and that's one of the big advantages of pizza on the Egg.
    Pizza turned out great! Thanks for the foil idea (that I didn't even think about).
    You're welcome!
  • Sgt93
    Options
    How about alum foil under the cardboard separating the plate setter and pizza?
    The idea is to get rid of the cardboard entirely!  If pizza crust is insulated from the platesetter, it won't get crisp, and that's one of the big advantages of pizza on the Egg.
    Pizza turned out great! Thanks for the foil idea (that I didn't even think about).
    You're welcome!
    I burned the center of the pizza a bit as I expected I would doing it directly on the plate setter, but it was still pretty tasty.  I'm getting a stone for sure. Thanks for the make shift idea. :)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,035
    Options
    Running out of threads
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,942
    Options
    Oooh this one got to two pages!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker giving out solid advice in aught twelve. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker giving out solid advice in aught twelve. 
    I was making it all up. I knew less then than I do now and I don’t know $hit now ha ha. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX