Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Selling my Egg

mybubbles65
mybubbles65 Posts: 7
edited May 2012 in Off Topic
After much thought and discussion, I've decided to sell my egg.  It's just too much work for me.  I've decided to get something else.  Though it cooks stuff great I'm not enjoying all the time I have to spend setting the temperature and babysitting it.  So, if anyone in Ontario, Canada would like to buy a medium egg, let me know.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i know a dude in ontario. i will let him know.

if you are having difficulty though, run it by the group here.  i say that only because the one thing i like about the egg is not needing to spend much time setting temp, or tending it.  it's the only grill i have ever had that can grill chicken for me without temp changes or flare ups, while i'm off mowing the lawn.

if it's a simple fix, maybe you'd use it with a little more enjoyment and a lot less grief
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    How much u asking and where are you in Ontario
  • I'm with Stike on this. It's the easiest I've ever used so if we can help, we'll be glad to.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lemonade
    lemonade Posts: 93
    Get the digiQ DX from BBQguru.   I've got ribs on right now.  5 hours of doing what I want and it has the temp parked right where I want it.  It's an electronic controller with a fan.    It'll set you back about $300 but you get to keep your egg, and no have to worry about monitoring the temp anymore.   I feel like I'm cheating...almost.  lol 

Is it done yet? Is it done yet?
  • lemonade
    lemonade Posts: 93
    p.s, and this is only my second cook.  
    Is it done yet? Is it done yet?
  • mybubbles65
    mybubbles65 Posts: 7
    edited May 2012
    I'm in the Barrie area.  Asking $650 obo.  Ad is on Kijiji.  You can contact me direct for more info or to see it.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Man,

Huge mistake. Give it some time. You are welcome to come to my place for a few beers and some ideas you may not have considered. I'm just off Hwy 9 between Airport and Hwy 10. Half an hour for you depending what part of Barrie

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,163

Man,

Huge mistake. Give it some time. You are welcome to come to my place for a few beers and some ideas you may not have considered. I'm just off Hwy 9 between Airport and Hwy 10. Half an hour for you depending what part of Barrie

Take LS up on the above offer-nothing like working with an eggspert to sort out the challenges.  And yes it is different than gassers, webers, water smokers and everything else but once you get the hang of it there is nothing else.  And this from and old "all of the above" cooker.  Give it a shot-then if that doesn't work, time to change direction.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stike
    edited May 2012
    well.. he saw the offers for help and skipped right over them.  I think steven is better off just buying the egg.
    also: thanks for the location description, steven.  it's not an exact address for your house, but that's ok. it still will narrow down the number of houses i need to sneak into in the middle of the night to find you
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    What does that come with for 650? Egg only or with nest?
  • Egg, nest, ash tool, grill griper, generic cover.  A little bit of charcoal, some wood chips, starters.
  • stike

:))
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034

Ad says your upgrading to a bigger Egg

Take LS up on the beers , he will show you the way

>:)
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    $650 for a med.  Screw that.
    Eggs are more expensive in Canada.
  • Little Steven

Ad says your upgrading to a bigger Egg

Take LS up on the beers , he will show you the way

>:)
    Good to see you over here pal! Just making my butter chicken sauce for GA. Been putting cinnamon sticks in for smoke. You need to try this!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034

They are gonna love it.

We will grab lunch when you get back

• burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    I would definitely go see LS 1st. Egging is zero work.
  • brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99

After much thought and discussion, I've decided to sell my egg.  It's just too much work for me.  I've decided to get something else.  Though it cooks stuff great I'm not enjoying all the time I have to spend setting the temperature and babysitting it.  So, if anyone in Ontario, Canada would like to buy a medium egg, let me know.

You should keep it for a while (set it to the side).... Buy a gasser or whatever and see the difference and I'm pretty certain you will be back to the egg in no time.. I have a Big Easy, regular gassers and a Bradley electric smoker - I haven't used them since I got the egg. 
  • 22 hour brisket now and all I did was our in lump, light match and put beef on. 10 min max. Would take a lot more work to cook on gasser. And in house my wife would shoot me for heating the place up for 22 hours. Plus the lump cost me $5. Electricity for running the stove and HVAC to cool the place down would cost me $20 easy. Cant beat the egg!

:-O
  • I've used everything else.  I bought an XL BGE 3 weeks ago and I've never had it so easy.  Most other things you will have to constantly mess with fire and temp.  What are you looking to replace it with that would require less attention?
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

Odd ... couldn't find your add?!?

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • just go to Kijiji.com, Ontario and search Big Green Egg.  it's there and still for sale.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    edited May 2012
    Little Steven please elaborate on cinnamon sticks for smoke, How many? What types of food?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven please elaborate on cinnamon sticks for smoke, How many? What types of food?
    I was doing a butter chicken sauce for the GA Eggfest next weekend. I threw them on and the aroma was amazing. You could do it with any Middle Eastern cook, any Indian or dessert. It smelled amazing! I threw on about for 4" sticks about three times through the cook

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    That was four sticks

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Thanks for sharing!
  • Little Steven
    The gravy came out amazing and I haven't added the cream or butter. I'm going to buy a giant bag of cinnamon sticks at the Indian market after the fest

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• chogg
    chogg Posts: 30
    I bought a large egg back in 2003 and put it next to my Aussie gasser..paid about 500 bucks for the Aussie..Now the gasser makes a good tool chest for all my BGE stuff... I think this guy is not telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth..or he never actually has used the egg too much..after just a few times using the egg...you realize just how little time it takes to cook with one ! :-??
    IF YOUR LOOKING YOUR NOT COOKING ..My Dog Likes it !!! C.Hogg....Shack Rag...GA.
  • Little Steven
    I know guys that light with a weedburner that are ready to go way faster than a gasser

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I'll buy that for a dollar.