Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My new C I grid broke on the first cook.

Layinpipe
Layinpipe Posts: 5
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I don't know if I did something wrong or if it was defective but I'm needin some input on the situation. I stared the coals and put the grid on while the entire unit was still cool( i didn't think this would be a problem). Should I have waited untill the egg was up to temp then placed it inside the egg. The first cook on it was at 625 and the outer two grids that sit on the fire ring broke all the way through. The grate is still in one piece but it bothers me. Will it get worse on the next high temp sear. Any help would be great. Thanks

Comments

• defective. Should not be a problem to put the CI grate in while it's cool. there was another thread on here a few weeks ago where this happened to someone. I would take it back and get a new one.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Return it. Replace it.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    Mine broke on first use, BGE sent me a new half moon, only wanted to see a picture.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I had the same problem, on the week before we were hosting Easter dinner. 3 of the grids had cracked.
    Brought it back to the dealer, and after a little discussion they did right by me. :)

I think the problem was that I didn't build the fire correctly. It took off really well in the "hot spot", didn't take off in others, and i didn't mix the coals.
    As a result, I had a very hot spot in the back (1 o'clock), and the rest was cold. After the fire built, I heard the crack.

Good luck.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Fliehigh
    Fliehigh Posts: 76
    I am still waiting for my replacement through the dealer, Should have it in the next week or so.
  • I just contacted my dealer and without hesitation she said bring it in and she will replace it and deal with the warranty issues with BGE.
  • Its is such an advantage to live right up the street from the HQ....
  • Fliehigh
    edited April 2012

I was just talking my dealer and mother ship Canada told them that they will replace my cracked CI grid this time but if it happens on the 2nd one it won't be covered as IT JUST HAPPENS. then they told me that some customers cut there own relief cuts in the CI grids so they don't twist????

I can't believe this, I would never cut cast Iron and I would expect it to crack or twist unless there was a manufacturing issue.

Am I wrong?

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited April 2012
    that's horsesh!t.  i would throw it through their store window and say "it just happens"

sounds like HQ canada is doing their best to alienate customers and drive BGE Canada into the ground.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Like in my case, I think the issue is such a large surface area, and uneven heating. 
    But if relief cuts can solve it (need to convince wife I need to buy tool to make CI relief cuts), I'd say, not the best design. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • that's horsesh!t.  i would throw it through their store window and say "it just happens"

sounds like HQ canada is doing their best to alienate customers and drive BGE Canada into the ground.

I agree. What a load. I've had cast iron grates for years with nothing "happening" to them. Something is wrong with these grates and for them to tell you that they won't hand'e it is total BS.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    let's assume that relief cuts and warping etc. are all known idiosyncrasies with CI (i don't believe they are, but let's assume for a sec), why in the hell would you offer a product like that at all, especially without clearly saying that in the first place?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • let's assume that relief cuts and warping etc. are all known idiosyncrasies with CI (i don't believe they are, but let's assume for a sec), why in the @#!*% would you offer a product like that at all, especially without clearly saying that in the first place?

Agreed. That drives me nuts. It's like making a car that runs on super but only offering regular gas and telling you to pound sand when it doesn't work right.
  • Fliehigh
    edited April 2012

Here is the email I just sent to BGE HQ in the US:

To Whom It May Concern:

On March 12th of this year I purchased a large
    Big Green egg from an authorized dealer here in Canada. At the same time I also
    purchased the Cast Iron cooking grate. On my 3
    rd use of the grate I
    heard a pop in the egg and the noticed the grate had cracked. When I inquired
    about a replacement, my dealer first told me that this is normal and just
    happens but if I send pictures they would forward them to BGE Canada for
    warranty consideration.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

BGE Canada responded that they would warranty the grate
    “this” time but if the second grate cracks they will not cover it again.

Not only have I been waiting for the replacement (the dealer
    only today told me I could swap it out for store stock) for over a month.
     I find it kind of insulting and hard to believe that I just spent
    $2,000.00 for a cooker I have been wanting for 7 years and now I am having an
    issue with a warranty claim for an item I paid $100 for from the same company.

I understand that Cast iron can crack when cooled to quickly
    but I have never heard of it cracking due to it being heated. I always heat my
    grills as I am bring the temp up in my egg and cool them down the same way,
    this has to be a manufacturing issue with the grill so why is BGE Canada
    stating they will not cover the warranty if it happens again?