Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked chicken wings?

Options
Mike8it
Mike8it Posts: 468
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Have you ever done this cook?

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    yep. What you need to know?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    These
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    These
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Looks like Mickey has you covered
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    Options

Easy cook for us noobs:  lightly sprinkle them with rub, then 325 or so deg. indirect with your platesetter wrapped in foil so you can hear the fat drip out of them.   After about an hour the fat will begin falling out of the wings and making music on the foil.  This dripping will continue for about 10 minutes, then cease.  No need to open up the lid to peek.

Cook until the dripping stops then 10-15 minutes beyond that.   The skin will be crispy and the connective tissue broken down with 90% of the fat rendered out of them.    Toss them in a bowl with a generous amount of Franks Hot Sauce and dig in.   

What I do with the leftovers in the days after:  strip the cold meat off the bones and re-toss in Franks, really load them up with sauce.   Then assemble a spinach lettuce salad and dress with home made blue cheese dressing and scatter a good portion of the wing meat on there.   Yum!

• centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    Options
    Leftovers?  Wings never have leftovers! :-)
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    Options
    Leftovers?  Wings never have leftovers! :-)

I'm down 35 lbs (65 more to go) since the new year and eat my que every day, but just not much of it.  If I eat more than about 6 oz of meat in a day I don't lose weight.   I'm doing 8 lbs of pulled chuck roast with beer, pascilla's and onions this week.

My Foodsaver gets a good workout the day after I smoke anything :-)

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Good for you Mike.
    Between how food tastes coming off the egg, and the pictures posted here, its tough to stick to normal human sized portions, and only having a couple ABTs.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I go 375+\- direct and raised grill. The ones above had Butt Rub. If sauce, do the last few mins
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    Options
    I am doing them tonight after seeing a new hot sauce from Franks at the store.image
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options

Here's a couple more:

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options
    Looks good!  I am starting to think dry-rubbed smoked wings are my favorite...
  • bariccardi
    Options
    Those wings look great
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    @MikeG same here. I'm down 25 lbs since January. I was affraid I'd over eat when I bought my egg in January. Not the case. I just make sure that I only cook enough to eat. Also, I look forward to leftovers because the smoke flavor seems to come through even more on the second day. Keep going with the weight loss.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
    imageI did mine at 250 degrees for 2.5 hours and I have to say they were delicious. I do prefer whole wings instead of seperating them, just seems to be juicier IMHO. There are so many ways to do wings (or any food on the egg) and the eggsperimenting is the fun part. Happy egging to all.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    We do wings all the time. I usually cook them like Mickey (I seem to say that a lot) but tried the Georgia red wings recipe from this site a few weeks ago (indirect) and they were great. Here is a pic of them right off the Egg, before sauce. I would recommend these.

XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC