Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LOOFT LIGHTER

Options
chad408
chad408 Posts: 140
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
I was thinking about getting a looft lighter for my green egg what does everyone think? My dealer use one for his demos and cooking classes and they seem to work really well and allow the egg temp to get high pretty quick. Let me know what you guys think about it.

Comments

• JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    Options
    Tried one on my WSM it did work but blew ash everywhere which put me off.
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    I use one but, if it ever goes out, I'm going to 91% rubbing alcohol.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    It might be a great item, but...  
    between Alcohol, Veggie oil on paper towels, a propane torch, and my chimney starter, I have a few options to light my egg. I would rather spend that money on other goodies, and meat.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • chad408
    Options
    How long does a small camp propane tank last on your torch and how long does it take to light the charcoal.
    It might be a great item, but...  
    between Alcohol, Veggie oil on paper towels, a propane torch, and my chimney starter, I have a few options to light my egg. I would rather spend that money on other goodies, and meat.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Honestly, I haven't gone through a camping propane tank yet.
    It took me about 4-5 minutes to get it started to where I could open the vents and let er go.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    It looks cool, don't have one. I do know for low and slows my go to is the electric ring lighter, right in the middle of the lump. And for anything about 350 I go for the weed burner.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Paper towel with oil and alcohol both work great and $10 worth of these materials last a very long time.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • chad408
    Options
    I was thinking of getting the looft lighter but now i think i will get the party q instead i can just add 60 to the looftlighter and have something a little cooler.  Still kinda in a debate though cause i will use the looft lighter more than i will use the party q.
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Options
    loolighter works excellent!

Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

Before you drop money on anything to light your egg, try oil and a paper towel.... it is by far the easiest, cheapest method. Thanks to @Stike for showing us how.

All I have been doing is taking 2 papertowels and adding a little circle of cooking oil to them. Roll each one up like a cigar loosely. The oil should not drip when you do this. Place the papertowels on top of the lump and light them. Take a few larger pieces of lump and put them on top of the lit towels making sure not to smother the flame. You will be amazed at how fast this lights the lump. I usually let it hit the lump for a minute or two then close the dome. Works every time.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Options

Sorry didnt see Hi54's post. It works!!

• chad408
    Options
    You guys dont make it easy. Still dont know if I should get the looft or the party q. Might have to think about it over the weekend
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Telling you... Neither. Napkin and oil is the fastest way... and the cheapest. It is your money though.
  • chad408
    Options
    the party q is not for lighting the party q is for cooking over night cooks or when i dont feel like maintaining the cook.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I use a heat gun. Cost $20 and pretty much the same as the looft lighter.
  • chad408
    Options
    I use a heat gun. Cost $20 and pretty much the same as the looft lighter.
    WHAT KIND OF HEAT GUN AND WHERE DID YOU GET IT

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Home depot sells the Wagner one in the paint section. Its basically an 1100 degree blow dryer.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Do yourself a favor:  try the alcohol or paper towel and spend a little more time working on regulating the Egg temp for long cooks. You can save the money on the lighter and electronic temp control and spend it on meat or other accessories. 

I have only had my egg since Christmas but haven't had any trouble in temp regulation on long cooks. I set the high/low alarms on the Maverick before bed but they have never gone off. It holds a steady temp all night all on its own.  Plus, I feel like I'm doing the cooking...which to me is why it is fun.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    +1 for the oil and paper towel method.  It even works with waste cooking oil.  i.e. I did some deep frying and kept the corn oil...but didn't know you were supposed to filter and refrigerate it...so that bottle of used corn oil is now my fire starting oil.  Cost of starting a fire...effectively whatever 2 paper towels cost.  No way I'd spend $80 on a super duper heat gun just for starting the egg.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    OK. Enough is enough. The looft lighter may be fun and cool but, it is totally not needed. A bottle of $2.50 91% booze makes about 8 fires. Dont waste your money unless it is just calling to you. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Shawn
    Options
    A chiminey only cost $11.00 at walmart and works wounders!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    OK. Enough is enough. The looft lighter may be fun and cool but, it is totally not needed. A bottle of $2.50 91% booze makes about 8 fires. Dont waste your money unless it is just calling to you. 
    That is more expensive than the BGE fire starters.  I think  I paid $5 for a box of 24.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Shawn
    Options
    here's a video that shows you how to use a chimney to light the egg! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHXcibEJ1lc
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I love the Zip fuel lighters. They are basically alcohol with some type of soild. They are totally odorless and burn super hot to get things going. I've been using them for a few years now and they are the best I've found (for me- this is always a personal deal so just throwin it out there)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Got the lighter and the Bison Lighter. The Bison lighter performs just as well without needing a cord. Also, with the Looft lIghter they were saying it did not last long. I looked on youtube and saw that they were keeping the lighter in contact with the coals throughout the lighting process. You should only keep it in contact until the charcoal has started to light, then back it away and let the fan do the rest.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    Zombie Thread Lives .... 2012
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I've had my Looflighter for 4 years and it works well.  Especially in my Mini or Small if I want to get the fire started fast.  4 years at $70 is probably more expensive than the oil and towel or alcohol method, but I'm happy with the looflighter's performance.  I still use the other methods when I'm at the lake or away from home. The end result is the same.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    I have a MAPP torch and it works wonders. I can get a nice even fire going within 2 minutes. The looflighter I heard burns out too quickly if its in contact with the coals, plus their price tag up here isn't cheap.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    I use the Weber lighter cubes. I place one right in the center of the charcoal in my Big Green Egg and light it. It works every time, and a pack of 20 costs about $3.59 (about .18 per cube) instead of a $60 Looft Lighter.

Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca