Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pictures of pets

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Looks like a good opportunity for ground and pound!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Pack leader @kl8ton.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    kl8ton said:
    dbCooper said:
    Looks and sounds like your dog is doing well, am glad of that.  What work did he need done?
    Our other Berner attacked him.  They get really possessive of cow femur bones. He couldn't leave the gash alone.  
    Just had that at the barn today.  One of the lab mixes attacked one of the cattle dogs.  Lots of blood and unhappiness.  Luckily, we have iodine, silver spray, and lots of other stuff on hand.  One will survive, the other one might not, its the third time the mix has attacked the cattle dog.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    @Ozzie_Isaac are they both females? I know with Boxers two females can take a dislike to each other and the fight is never over.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited May 2022
    @Ozzie_Isaac are they both females? I know with Boxers two females can take a dislike to each other and the fight is never over.
    Yes, they are both female.  They have always lived together too.  They are not mine, and each one individually gets along fine with my Aussies which happen to be male.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    kl8ton said:
    dbCooper said:
    Looks and sounds like your dog is doing well, am glad of that.  What work did he need done?
    Our other Berner attacked him.  They get really possessive of cow femur bones. He couldn't leave the gash alone.  
    Just had that at the barn today.  One of the lab mixes attacked one of the cattle dogs.  Lots of blood and unhappiness.  Luckily, we have iodine, silver spray, and lots of other stuff on hand.  One will survive, the other one might not, its the third time the mix has attacked the cattle dog.
    That sounds ugly.  How are they doing?  Cone came off ours.  So far so good. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041

Camping is their happy place 
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 355
    This is our recent rescue, Zeus, he’s a King Pit. Lovable, needy, and doesn’t realize his own strength.
    And our Barn cat , Noah,lording over the chickens and turkeys
  • alaskanassasin
    awesome @PoppasGrill
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:
    dbCooper said:
    Rereading ... It reads worse than it was.  Both fogs survived the fight, some punctures and fur.  The cattle dog bled like a stuck pig though.  His blood coagulated pretty quick and 30min later he was running around acting fine.

The lab mix left the fight relatively unscathed, but I wasn't sure he was going to survive the owner.  He did, he was out and about this morning, so everyone survived.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:
    dbCooper said:
    Rereading ... It reads worse than it was.  Both fogs survived the fight, some punctures and fur.  The cattle dog bled like a stuck pig though.  His blood coagulated pretty quick and 30min later he was running around acting fine.

The lab mix left the fight relatively unscathed, but I wasn't sure he was going to survive the owner.  He did, he was out and about this morning, so everyone survived.
    Ours just got into it again today . . . bad.  I had to intervene.  I think one would be dead if I wasn't here grilling at lunch.  The younger one will be re-homed. We co-own with the breeder. She takes him to shows around the country.  She's coming to get him. This fight, to my knowledge, was unprovoked.  No treats, bones, or anything in play.  I had blood all over me.  Tried separating them for what seemed like 5 minutes.  The younger one is limping.  He has a gash on the pad?  on his front paw.  Sad day for the kids.  Glad that they didn't see the fight. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    I feel for you @MJG, they become one of the family way too fast and it’s hard telling them goodbye. 
  • alaskanassasin
    wow that sucks @kl8ton
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin

Squirrel!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited May 2022
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:
    dbCooper said:

Ours just got into it again today . . . bad.  I had to intervene.  I think one would be dead if I wasn't here grilling at lunch.  The younger one will be re-homed. We co-own with the breeder. She takes him to shows around the country.  She's coming to get him. This fight, to my knowledge, was unprovoked.  No treats, bones, or anything in play.  I had blood all over me.  Tried separating them for what seemed like 5 minutes.  The younger one is limping.  He has a gash on the pad?  on his front paw.  Sad day for the kids.  Glad that they didn't see the fight. 
    Aw man, that is no good.  Glad you were home to stop it.  Dog fights are no joke, and people learn real quick how strong dogs can be.

Hopefully, your guy will be ok.  By chance did you try grabbing the back legs of the aggressor and lifting them off the ground?  I have seen all sorts of recommendations for that method.

As far as starting a fight, with my two female jacks, all it takes is a wrong look, a hip swagger, sometimes even just a fart and they will go at it.  Thankfully, they are all noise and bluster and in all the years together they have only drawn blood once.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Both are buddies and play well together!
  • kl8ton
     By chance did you try grabbing the back legs of the aggressor and lifting them off the ground?  I have seen all sorts of recommendations for that method.

I haven't heard of this method.  I'm a newcomer to the dog fighting arena.  :D
    Grand Rapids MI
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    MJG said:
    This is my Maggie. 11 lbs of saltiness but a wonderful companion. She was put down today. She was just shy of 10 which was too short IMHO. My other 2 dogs have been searching for her all day. Hug your pups tonight. 
    @MJG My sympathies are with you.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • dbCooper
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:
    dbCooper said:

Hard choices there, sounds to me like you picked the best path for all
    Great Plains, USA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:
    dbCooper said:

Aw man, that is no good.  Glad you were home to stop it.  Dog fights are no joke, and people learn real quick how strong dogs can be.

Hopefully, your guy will be ok.  By chance did you try grabbing the back legs of the aggressor and lifting them off the ground?  I have seen all sorts of recommendations for that method.

As far as starting a fight, with my two female jacks, all it takes is a wrong look, a hip swagger, sometimes even just a fart and they will go at it.  Thankfully, they are all noise and bluster and in all the years together they have only drawn blood once.

those jacks will pick a fight with anything.  my problem at camp is the jack a few houses up goes straight for my britt, has a gsd as backup following him. i can back down the shepard in the attack but now my britt thinks we can take him. the shepard looks to have hip dysplasia and doubt he will be able to do this much longer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • alaskanassasin
    My sil male Great Pyrenees attacked our border collie when she wasn't looking, I have no idea what I was thinking but I jumped on its back in a head lock and rode it to the ground, pinned its neck to the ground with my forearm and held it until his tongue turned purple. 
     We were cool after that, it was at a bbq, I am not sure the in laws looked at me the same after that..
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• kl8ton
    Well, Moses was picked up yesterday.  We're all sad.  I think Solomon our remaining berner is the most depressed.  Pacing.  Laying down and whimpering.  Repeat.  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Only a dislike cus it sucks
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    kl8ton said:
    Well, Moses was picked up yesterday.  We're all sad.  I think Solomon our remaining berner is the most depressed.  Pacing.  Laying down and whimpering.  Repeat.  
    Sorry @kl8ton , just a bad situation all the way around.  It is what is best for both pups, but hard to tell them that.
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,359

Otis
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • dbCooper
    Summertime and the living is easy...

Great Plains, USA