Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spray or Mop or No?

Options
omba
omba Posts: 241
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Folks,
Here we go again ... another question from the peanut gallery! :-)
I have been well-trained by a lot of you over the past 5 months. And I follow the rules for those long overnighters!
One rule I learned early on is NOT TO OPEN THAT EGG FOR LOTS OF HOURS.[p]Well ...
Been reading around, and I've stumbled over some interesting mop/spray recipes. [p]So ...
Here's one (actually two) for those in the know:
1. Does mopping/spraying really add much?
2. Do you mop/spray your briskets or butts?[p]Thanks as always,
Peter[p]PS > Obviously getting ready for another pork butt soon. :-)

Comments

• RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    Options
    omba, I wouldn't mop. It's likely to wipe off the rub leaving you with no bark. Personally I never do either one.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    omba,[p]There is an old saying "If you're lookin' you ain't cookin'" and it holds very true with most of the steel pits, especially large ones, that I have cooked on. Each peek could add 10 or 15 minutes to the cook time depending how long you were in there. (Looking could also cause the fire box to flare if the conditions were right.)[p]Ceramic cookers are another story because they have small volume and they recover very fast after opening. Like in about 5 minutes. On a 4 hour cook like ribs, you can get in the cooker once an hour for basting or re-positioning of food if you feel the need. It is no big deal. [p]On longer cooks like a butt or brisket, it is not really necessary to be in the cooker but maybe once or twice during the entire cook to re-position or tent with foil. [p]I believe in basting of chicken, pork steaks, ribs, chuck roasts and such. And again, I'm not in the cooker every 15 minutes doing it. I usually inject butts and brisket so I don't inject them.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    Options
    thirdeye, I forgot to mention injecting. Like you, I do that with butts, and occassionally with briskets.

• jonessteave
    jonessteave Posts: 78
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm just getting into tagging, I'd like to start with a mop or marker instead of paint. Does anyone know a good starting point? like #mop for rubber gym floor
    Thanks.
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    in on 15 year old bump. 😳
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,062
    Options
    I really miss thirdeye and oompa.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 949
    Options

I miss loompa the most. It's the really white pants and the face covered in doritos dust, that makes me miss him the most. It's mostly because he had those bright white pants and yet they showed no doritos dust anywhere. This means he isn't touching his face and then his pants, like ever.  I'll be honest, when i spread doritos dust on my face, it ends up outside my pants AND inside my pants, almost every single time. It's got so bad that I custom ordered pants that are the color of nacho cheese. 

If loompa was here, I'd ask him how he did it, mostly. I know it was just a movie but the pants and doritos dust are real, I'm sure of it.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ybabpmuts said:

I miss loompa the most. It's the really white pants and the face covered in doritos dust, that makes me miss him the most. It's mostly because he had those bright white pants and yet they showed no doritos dust anywhere. This means he isn't touching his face and then his pants, like ever.  I'll be honest, when i spread doritos dust on my face, it ends up outside my pants AND inside my pants, almost every single time. It's got so bad that I custom ordered pants that are the color of nacho cheese. 

If loompa was here, I'd ask him how he did it, mostly. I know it was just a movie but the pants and doritos dust are real, I'm sure of it.

If there were only a modern example of “Doritos dust face” 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Never mind. I found a current “white pants Doritos face”  image. I get it now

• Ybabpmuts
    Options
    Jeesh .. guess we know where he keeps his doritos-sponsored pooping wedge

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    Does anyone know what the best mop is for a gym floor?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    Does anyone know what the best mop is for a gym floor?
    Looks like a clean up on aisle #2 is first in line. 
  • Ybabpmuts
    Options
    The guy on the far right, his back reads Trum. There's no p, so I'm thinking that's a hint. I think he's telling us .. that if we looked on the other side .. we'd find the p .. so maybe it's a cleanup of isle 1 and 2  .. in which case isle 1 is first in line I think. It always goes from left to right, I'm sure of this.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ybabpmuts said:
    The guy on the far right, his back reads Trum. There's no p, so I'm thinking that's a hint. I think he's telling us .. that if we looked on the other side .. we'd find the p .. so maybe it's a cleanup of isle 1 and 2  .. in which case isle 1 is first in line I think. It always goes from left to right, I'm sure of this.

• Ybabpmuts
    Options
    See. I wasn't wrong. 
  • Ybabpmuts
    Options
    And I think we know where they were trying to hide the presidential pissing wedge and it wasn't at camp David. The guy had one job, to hide the pissing wedge and let nobody see it, but he let it leak obviously.

Good thing you had a camera pointing at his crotch when you did, or we might not even be having this conversation.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    Har har har

i try not to get sucked into these Trump hating posts, but HONESTLY people do YOU really feel you are better off after Biden got in to office? SERIOUSLY???

And BTW I won’t vote for Trump again if he even gets that far along, which I doubt that he will.
  • Ybabpmuts
    Options
    RRP said:
    Har har har

i try not to get sucked into these Trump hating posts, but HONESTLY people do YOU really feel you are better off after Biden got in to office? SERIOUSLY???

And BTW I won’t vote for Trump again if he even gets that far along, which I doubt that he will.
    I don't get too involved with politics. Heck, I posted about oompa loompas, not the president. I don't think I have the seriousness in me, to even talk politics at all. Oompa loompas and such are more in my wheelhouse.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    RRP said:
    Har har har

Ron- Im just being an ass. Nothing personal and not really political either. Just stirring up the hornet’s nest a little and was not directed at you or any normal people, for that matter, in any way. 
  • Ybabpmuts
    Options
    Just stirring up the hornet’s nest a little and was not directed at you or any normal people, for that matter, in any way."

Ummm I'm one of the normal people ... right?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I said:
    Just stirring up the hornet’s nest a little and was not directed at you or any normal people, for that matter, in any way."

Ummm I'm one of the normal people ... right?
    Yes 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,987
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Just look a few posts up and you’ll see. Some hornets are easily stirred and can’t help themselves. 
  • Ybabpmuts
    Options
    Whew. Thought I should check 😁