Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF brisket

wps456
wps456 Posts: 104
edited June 23 in EggHead Forum
My staff got me a 14 lb SRF gold brisket for my birthday. I’ve only smoked prime so the pucker-factor was extremely high!! Needed it for lunch today so put it on at 10 last night, 275, salt and pepper, oak. Wrapped at 4am at 185 then set alarm for 7:30 guessing temp would be mid 190’s but jumped to 206, wrapped in towel and put in cooler. I forgot more fat means faster cook but still turned out really good.

Comments

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,426
    That's a big win there, love me some of that.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,548
    Way to get it done.  Now you know the SRF briskets behave just like any other so it's time to go again.
    Congrats on the outcome.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Beauty. What a nice gift from your staff, 
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 775
    My only SRF was the gold. It was a barely contained grease fire on the bge. If I were to do another one I'd put a catch pan with water. Probably the worst I've done as far as taste goes, but I think it'd be recoverable if I tried again. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,548
    Opening with SRF gold is definitely jumping into the deep end of the pool.  If you go with any brisket cook, an elevated (spacers) drip pan is a given.  I would recommend not using water in the pan as once the water (heat sink) evaporates then your cook temperature will rise to a new equilibrium.  
    Some actually use sand in the drip pan to manage the renderings.  FWIW- 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 775
    That was just the first SRF brisket cook. I've never used a drip pan for the others. I have a prime for a birthday and maybe I'll try one. Maybe I trim a little more or something. There wasn't enough trimming for the gold 😁
  • wps456
    wps456 Posts: 104
    So when my staff got me the brisket they also got me some of SRF's burgers. I cooked those last night and those were the juiciest, butteriest (if that's a word) burgers I've ever had. I'd highly recommend trying them if you haven't yet!!! I just grilled them to about 145 and they were awesome!!
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,719
    Our local Harris Teeter grocery store sells 1lb packs of SRF ground beef . We have made some pretty decent homemade hamburgers. I concur on being super juicy and tasty.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,073
    Our local Harris Teeter grocery store sells 1lb packs of SRF ground beef . We have made some pretty decent homemade hamburgers. I concur on being super juicy and tasty.
    Hey everyone, hope all is well. John, I agree. I use my points when I prefer to get SRF ground beef. Without a doubt, the burgers are rich and beefy. I used it making meatball subs. Whole new level for anything you use ground beef for. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,073
    Honestly, I like to take my wagyu all the way to 205. They can feel done in the low 190’s but I have found they have so much fat that it’s best to push them a little higher to render it properly. Great looking cook to me and it’s not falling apart like it’s way over. I think you nailed it. 
    Hey every body hoping all is well. I wholeheartedly agree on taking the gold SRF up higher in IT. I am above 202° consistently. My highest was 208°, my lowest 204°, my preference was the higher. YMMV. 

I wrap in butcher paper and set in a long foil pan in my yeti cover with another, then pile in the towels for about 4 hours. 

Have a happy 4th.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky