Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Head's Up- National Brisket Day, Tuesday May 28th 2024-time to give it a go!

lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 33,547
edited May 12 in EggHead Forum
Thought I would toss out an alertment so that everyone has time to find, thaw or give the cow a practice run.  Above all, have fun.  Always remember-the friggin cow drives the cook. Here's to finding the proverbial "feels like buttah" outcome.
Edit: I will have to celebrate in early June due to scheduling conflicts (not of my doing).
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,056
    Bombdiggity!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    Bump as the date is closing fast!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Bump as today is the day.
    I will be unable to participate/celebrate until later as I was not consulted regarding scheduling over the top of today.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,724
    I can’t believe brisket has to share the day with hamburger. Sad times we live in. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,044
    I can’t believe brisket has to share the day with hamburger. Sad times we live in. 
    Agree, no equity in that.

What are your proteins?
    Not a felon
  • lkapigian
    I will rock a couple this weekend!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,013
    Yeah, having the national day of something that takes 10+ hours to cook on a weekday just doesn't seem right.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,965
    IP, problem solved.
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    @lkapigian - She's a beauty.  Good for your guests with the Texas Twinkies as I'm sure they don't appreciate the surgical skills required to create them.  
  • lousubcap
    @Money_Hillbilly - great cooks right there.  Which rig got the call?
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Money_Hillbilly Posts: 449
    @lousubcap I used the Shirley. I am getting very comfortable with fire management and smoke profiles by using the stack damper and curing my own wood.  The Shirley’s built me a new V basket and it put temps on cruise control.  It used to take me 12+ hours to knock out a brisket or pork butt on the egg or my big gravity unit.  This cook took a little over 8 hours.  One of my buddies argued with me that it was impossible to cook so much faster at the same temp.  I told him I didn’t believe it either until I proved it. Convection ovens cook 25% faster than a standard oven and reverse flow cookers are much faster also.
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • lkapigian
    I just cook the Sh!t 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • wps456
    wps456 Posts: 104
    Speaking of brisket, for my birthday, my awesome staff got me a brisket from SRF!! It’s still in the freezer but I’ll be as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs when I smoke that dude!!!
  • lousubcap
    @wps456 - just cook as you would any other brisket.  The quality of the cut will be revealed when you enjoy it.