Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recipes to Freeze

Options
My wife is 37 weeks pregnant with our first, and I’m trying to prep some meals in advance to freeze.

We’ve already made OTT chili, pulled chicken fajitas and lasagna. If you can share your favorite recipes which freeze well it would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,684
    Options
    Congratulations! 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,779
    Options
    First and foremost, Congratulations! First thing that comes to mind is, ice cream  =) Seriously, what she likes, it all freezes well with a good vacuum sealer 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Congratulations!

A few suggestions, that I freeze often:

Bean dishes.  Particularly red beans and white beans. 

Chicken tikka masala (made that last night).

Split pea soup (it's easy to make it very thick for freezing and thin it out later).

Pulled pork - freezes great and easy to make tacos or flavor a lot of dishes.
    NOLA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,908
    edited January 13
    Options
    Congrats, Momma and Daddy to be!

Any other soups the two of you like. All freeze well in Food Saver bags.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • AprèsSki
    AprèsSki Posts: 131
    Options
    Congratulations!  One of my favorite freezer stocks is to individually vacuum seal bags of brisket or pork with some type of sauce (usually some type of Asian BBQ sauce) and then reheat via sous vide for rice bowls. The same could be down with chicken or turkey if so inclined, probably good with some type of curry.

If you don't have a stack of restaurant style aluminum togo containers, do yourself a favor and stock up on some. they are perfect for couple sized lasagnas or any other dish that just needs an hour in the oven to serve. 
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,554
    Options
    Congratulations! 
    If you have a sous vide you can precook a bunch of plain chicken breasts. They are like canvas, use them in  sandwiches, pasta, ramen, salads,... 
    canuckland
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 692
    Options
    +1 for pulled pork. I give it pre frozen for births and the opposite for when the food train runs out. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,320
    Options
    Pulled pork Mac and cheese. My aunt who has an XL Egg served pulled pork nachos for Christmas dinner. Of course the nachos would have to be assembled shortly before use but the pulled pork would already be done.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,320
    Options
    I think that this recipe of mine could probably be frozen as could most meatloafs.

I found a 4 year old Chile Pepper magazine tonight while searching for my Turkey Chili Verde recipe. Inside it has what seems to be a fancy variation on SGH's sausage appetizer. I thought I would record it before this magazine grows legs and wanders off.

Apple Sausage Ring
    3 eggs
    2 cups bread crumbs(I think ritz or saltines would do fine)
    1 1/2 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled and roughly chopped
    1/2 cup onion roughly chopped
    3 jalapeños, stemmed, deseeded, and roughly chopped
    2 lbs pork sausage

set the Egg up for indirect at 350F
    In a big mixing bowl beat the eggs and add the bread crumbs, apples, onions, and jalapeños. Last add the sausage and incorporate all . Put the mixture into a 9 1/2 inch bundt pan. It should be within an inch and a half of the top. Egg until 160F internal. Take it out and let cool for 10 minutes before pouring off the grease. Invert onto a serving platter. 
    For left overs, take a slice and put it in a hamburger bun with spicy mayo or a horseradish sauce. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,214
    Options
    A sous vide will be your friend with a new born. Great for reheating all of this frozen food. 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    A sous vide will be your friend with a new born. Great for reheating all of this frozen food. 

A few years down the road, it’ll also help you host with a semblance of dignity and composure, despite what the kids are doing to your home. 
  • steelcity314
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,629
    Options
    Congrats, everyone else seems to have the food ideas covered.  I'll just add buy some beano.  Beans, chili, garlic, etc, all can cause some distress in a nursing baby.  Not dangerous, just crying baby stuff. This helped us immensely with our three.  Of course, have her check with her doctor first.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,431
    Options
    Congratulations!  Great idea to freeze off some meals. Others have posted great ideas.  I didn't totally read them, but, pepper stout beef freezes well. Brisket chili (Salado eggfest recipe?) Is phenomenal. Do you have a griddle?  It's quick and easy to dump frozen precut stir fry veggies on and doctor them up. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Pulled pork Mac and cheese. My aunt who has an XL Egg served pulled pork nachos for Christmas dinner. Of course the nachos would have to be assembled shortly before use but the pulled pork would already be done.

That would be the best Christmas dinner ever.
    NOLA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!! At 37 weeks, that kid is about to drop any day now :)

If you do not already have one, I highly recommend investing in a vac sealer. You can freeze just about anything. 

Great suggestions above, especially socking away pulled pork. There's so much you can do with it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Elijah
    Options
    Don't know your situation, but as one who was in charge of bottles something like this is worth it Baby Brezza Baby Bottle Sterilizer and Dryer Machine – Electric Steam Sterilization - Universal Fit - Pacifiers, Glass, Plastic, and Newborn Feeding Bottles https://a.co/d/imrki3T

You still have to give them a quick wash first and it takes longer than the hands on method. It's almost hands off though. Seems like there are cheaper versions now. 
  • Canugghead
    Options
    giving @jonessteave a run for his money eh!  ;)
    canuckland
  • Elijah
    Options
    Negative. Spent too much time washing, boiling water, sterilizing, drying, assembling for the next day. The above needs a wash and then run it and assemble. 

9$?2%%&-(:1(
  • Elijah
    Options
    Ah crap. Ignore that last part
  • Canugghead
    Options
    you should know I was just pulling your leg  =)
    canuckland
  • Elijah
    Options
    I would like to hijack the thread with some sort of generated pulled leg. I will not. 

2)$!!&1
  • steelcity314
    Options
    All of these suggestions are great and I’ve added them to our list. Ended up just going with pulled pork:

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,057
    Options
    Pulled pork looks great!  And the perfect prepped meals for soon to be parents. Congrats!  Prepped lasagnas frozen in those rectangular foil cake pans are great for 2 people as well. We really liked prepped chicken pot pies too. Something you can thaw and bake straight in disposable containers is a way to get homemade meals with minimal effort when you’re sleep deprived. 

Soak it all in — your view of the world will change when you hear that first cry. And it’s totally OK to beat a germ-ridden stranger up if they get too close to touching your baby.  Lots of friends here to bail you out. :) Seriously though, congratulations. :) 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,117
    Options
    I just vac sealed Mole Pulled Chicken.
    I have a half Brisket in the Freezer

I think someone said above, I just put them in the Sous Vide to reheat.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,801
    Options
    meat pies, pork tourtiere, pot pies, chicken, beef etc. . lasagne. i like soups without the potatoes (they dont freeze well), if someone wants the potatoes its simple enough to boil them up and add them later.....then theres frozen toast, you just need to heat it up =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it