Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE Warranty Procedures Announced

Options
MaskedMarvel
MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,144
edited January 5 in EggHead Forum
Greetings friends -

the @nakedwhiz FaceBook page is reporting some deeper rules starting this new year for warranty claims on your BGE. 

I’ll just paste here what was in his post:

+——-> (paste follows)

This was bound to happen:

Effective January 1, 2024, BGE and their regional Authorized BGE Dealers and Distributors are enforcing their Limited Lifetime Warranty (and also for other BGE components).

In addition to a warranty claim form with all fields completed (by your local authorized BGE dealer) and photos of the damaged item/part, the following items will be required to make a warranty claim:

* Stamp Code which can be found inside the Dome of the EGG towards the back (opposite of the thermometer).
* A valid proof of purchase receipt from an Authorized Dealer will be required to make a Warranty claim. Types of receipts accepted are the original store receipt, credit card transaction, ACE rewards statement, and/or copy of a cancelled check showing purchase and purchaser of BGE product.

If the consumer does not have proof of purchase, dealers have been instructed to deny the claim in store, and direct the customer to https://biggreenegg.com/warranty-claim/ should further resolution be needed. If a consumer has an email from BGE approving the warranty, it will be honored in-store. Any freight charges are not covered under the Warranty.

Warranties will not be honored by Big Green EGG if the customer does not have proof of original ownership regardless of dealer's decision to honor.

Dealers will no longer be authorized to provide Warranty parts while customer is in-store filing a claim request, even with photos and original receipts provided. Dealers must submit the claim form and wait for approval (typically 24-48 hours during normal business hours) and if approved the customer will be notified. If denied, customer will also be notified. If denied, customer may pursue via the above listed website address directly with Big Green EGG.

Please refer to www.https://biggreenegg/warranty for full terms and conditions.

It's important to note that BGE's Warranty has not changed. Only the reasonable enforcement of its policies in order to protect the original purchasers and original owners.

The BGE Warranty does not apply to 2nd-hand owners.
Original replacement parts are available for purchase or may be ordered through your local Authorized Big Green EGG Dealer if not readily available in stock. It's best to call ahead if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

+——-> (paste ends)

I have four eggs, three under warranty. Making it more difficult to have legitimate owners get warranty service seems a great way to push prospective buyers towards less expensive cookers that don’t hassle about their lifetime warranties. IMHO
Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Yet again, working through dealers that know nothing about BGE's how warranty works. 

When can we expect the Kamado Joe warranty treatment??? Delivery to your door without the middleman dealer. Thee biggest issue with BGE and they look right past it and go and spend money on new developmental accessories and not the actual issue with the company. It's becoming a joke....

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    so my egg is a 2001, before the authorized dealership requirement, sold online thru hearthside distributors tennessee and delivered to massachusetts under bge's involvement finding me a dealer =) this sounds like fun ;)  the serial number was penciled in on the dome,. my second large and small bought similarly has the serial number under the gasket on the base. both have replacement parts that were covered under warranty. hows that going to get addressed. and why does the filled out and mailed in warranty card mean nothing ........hoping bge still makes this right somehow, im 3 new larges and a new small bge in and pretty much meet non of these requirements
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    Sounds like the new head of innovation has been hard at work.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,410
    Options
    At the current rate he will be innovating a dwindling customer base, especially since likely most dealers won't correctly get the buyer set up warranty-wise. 
    We will see how the customer first dealers who readily work with their customers push back.
    Happy Friggin New Year!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 373
    Options
    Having just bought a new L BGE, this is somewhat less than thrilling news.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Legume
    Options
    The receipt thing is funny - I thought the point of registering your bge was to do it once and not have to present the receipt, etc. going forward.

I've never had to present a receipt when making a warranty claim on a car, which is also through a dealer network.

This feels like dealing with insurance, add enough speed bumps and people will give up and you'll have fewer claims.  I'll bet while BGE was growing in popularity and selling the crap out of eggs, they didn't forecast the claims very well and didn't prepare financially to support the claims.

Death spiral coming.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,086
    Options
    * Stamp Code which can be found inside the Dome of the EGG towards the back (opposite of the thermometer).
    I took a look at my dome, it doesn't have this stamp (2010 vintage).  To date my Large has needed a replacement base and two fireboxes, all handled with no hassles by my "customer first dealer".  Seems my next warranty claim my involve more than showing my dealer pictures and they then verify my original purchase in their database.  But we'll all be benefiting because... it's for our protection:
    It's important to note that BGE's Warranty has not changed. Only the reasonable enforcement of its policies in order to protect the original purchasers and original owners.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Legume
    Options
    Corv said:
    McGuckins?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    At this rate, I’ll  be pleasantly surprised if this forum sees the light of 2025. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    caliking said:
    At this rate, I’ll  be pleasantly surprised if this forum sees the light of 2025. 
    My mission is nearly accomplished!  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Options
    Given most everyone has subscriptions to multiple streaming services, how much would you pay (hypothetically, of course, just doing some market research) for monthly or for 12 months of unrestricted forum access?  See who is hitting dislike, post large pictures, embed any website links, and more!  A green checkmark by your name!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Have three Eggs, two of which were purchased new with warranty - a Large and an MM. when I went to register them, I could not even make out the stamped code on the inside of the dome of the Large. They could make this easier. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I hate to say it but the truth is that were I on the market for a new kamado grill, knowing what I know now, I don’t think I’d be looking at another BGE.   I’m pretty sure I’d be looking at lots of other options first.
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 373
    Options
    Legume said:
    Corv said:
    McGuckins?
    Yep.

Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,669
    Options
    This reminds me of when people used to post on this forum regularly.  With a little luck maybe this thread will go sideways though It's been so long I am not sure I would recognize it if it did happen.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Haley
    Haley Posts: 29
    Options
    And the drawing for the XL package he draws a "test" name first, and then the winning name second. What was wrong with awarding the first name he drew?  

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,436
    Options
    Shouldn’t they know I bought one via their elaborate dealer network? My dealer knows I bought an XL
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,663
    Options
    My first egg was bought in 2012. Good luck finding that dam receipt.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    This reminds me of when people used to post on this forum regularly.  With a little luck maybe this thread will go sideways though It's been so long I am not sure I would recognize it if it did happen.
    Not sure anything will ever exceed the pics of Focker’s sister.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,899
    Options
    My purchase history - all brand new from a family owned dealership in Peoria, IL which at that time was the only BGE dealer in our SMSA of 325k.
    Large and Small: both in 2000
    Medium: 2001
    Mini: 2005

This dealership was named Hearth and Patio and being a sizeable BGE dealership, they also carried a vast inventory of warranty replacement parts…”walk in with a problem and walk out with the solution in hand!” could have been their motto! 

Like many other dealers across the country they also sponsored the ever popular Eggfests for 14 years at which I egged at all and I know we helped our dealer sell many BGEs! 

On top of that for 9 years I taught BGE cooking classes at that dealership…I don’t mean demonstration cooks but full fledged evening classes where we charged $45 per person. Just like that at the eggfests I know I helped sell MANY more BGEs!

Now back to my experience and TRUST in BGE…that registration card which was the method at that time was in a cookbook included with the egg. I do not recall that it even asked for some identification number hidden anywhere! Just fill it out and mail it in! (And now I wonder how many people who I even personally helped to believe that BS. (I sure hope the angry buyers don’t come looking for my hide, Clyde…)

Did I save any on my receipts? NO 
    Did I save any canceled checks? NO
    Did I save any credit card statements? NO

Sorry to say but I believe the new direction for BGE ownership is happy for us old farts to either die off or drop frequenting this forum. 

I bet when Ed Fisher thought up the powerful “Lifetime Warranty” angle he never thought that his product would grow so popular! Now it appears Arnie and his company are trying to save their leaking ship.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,193
    Options
    I suspect shipping cost is the driver here. The cost of the ceramics is far less than the cost to ship it. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    I suspect shipping cost is the driver here. The cost of the ceramics is far less than the cost to ship it. 
    Times have changed, my first large egg on 2001 was about  $350.00 shipped for free from TN to MA. 2005 was around $500.00 shipped free shipping for a large
    fukahwee maine

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    caliking said:
    I agree the warranty enforcement changes the way BGE will be viewed (like if Costco suddenly tightened up their return policy) but at least this forum isn't the nasty place it used to be and is now BBQ centric. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    I bought my large back in 2020 and registered directly with BGE national. I sent in pictures of these numbers and the receipt strictly to avoid having to chase down the paper receipt. Moving goal posts again.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Why a lifetime warranty....how about just changing it to one year or get rid of it all together. That should save some money.....😆 they need a grandfather clause for those with older eggs bought before the rules all changed. I had eggs  15 years before I had a cell phone....
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Options
    stv8r said:
    caliking said:
    I agree the warranty enforcement changes the way BGE will be viewed (like if Costco suddenly tightened up their return policy) but at least this forum isn't the nasty place it used to be and is now BBQ centric. 
    Take another look around.  I'd bet at least half the cooks posted here aren't egged or even grilled.  

And that's fine.

Now go look at your posts and comments.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,128
    Options
    Hmm.  I don't trust anyone, least of all a company.

I have photos of my eggs when brand new and copies of receipts all stored on my google drive.  I have also had to present them at my dealer for warranty claims.  However, I suspect in the near future that will not be enough because my name, a thumb print, and a semen sample was not provided upon purchase.

If I had to start over I would go with Kamado Joe.  I am jealous of their warranty program.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin