Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SURPRISE!! Tiny Brisket!!!

Options
Greetings friends!

an awesome neighbor that smells the LBGE a lot said she was bringing her friend’s farm’s brisket over for me to smoke. Texas style. 

It got here - it’s a corned beef trimmed flat. 

So! I’m going as low and as slow as I can. 

Any further tips? I’m used to 17 pound packers. 

Be nice to each other thanks!
8–D

Also - there’s tequila here. 
Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Failed to add…

it is a four pounder

… that was supposed to be in all CAPS..…… 

… also tequila..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    I have no advice on the small flat, but your neighbor should be able to enjoy the smell.

+1 for weekday tequila 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,208
    Options
    For flats like corned beef, go Katz style, smoke, then steam.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,148
    edited December 2023
    Options

I haven’t seen that recipe in years. 

Mind reminding me?

edit OZ - mine is already on the Egg. I searched and it looks like Katz is mostly a brined corned style.. :/
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

I haven’t seen that recipe in years. 

Mind reminding me?

edit OZ - mine is already on the Egg. I searched and it looks like Katz is mostly a brined corned style.. :/
    When you said corned beef, I thought you meant cured.

I'm no expert, but I'd wrap it for sure.  Probably even in aluminum foil, not just paper.  Then a nice long rest wrapped up tight in a cooler.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,534
    Options
    It will take longer per lb than than the equivalent packer at the same cook temp.  If you don't have a target finish/delivery time then I would heavily spritz to keep from drying out and foil at around 175-185*F to drive it home.  You will lose the bark but it can dry out before your eyes so the foil will mitigate that.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Damn that Katz looks good. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    It will take longer per lb than than the equivalent packer at the same cook temp.  If you don't have a target finish/delivery time then I would heavily spritz to keep from drying out and foil at around 175-185*F to drive it home.  You will lose the bark but it can dry out before your eyes so the foil will mitigate that.  FWIW-
    Thanks brother. I’m thinking I’ll wrap on the egg and **** the egg down. Let her sit. 

Delivery will be in  the morning. Wrapped. 

… minus a tester bite…

thanks everyone. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Actually thinking about wrapping in HDAF will some beef tallow in there and letting her sit on the egg. Shut the FB500 down to like 145 in case it drops too quickly. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Did you say "Texas Style" then lather it with mustard?    Just double checking, I likely missed something...
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @MaskedMarvel - How did it turn out?? The tallow will definitely enhance any outcome!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Did you say "Texas Style" then lather it with mustard?    Just double checking, I likely missed something...

Is that a deal-breaker?
    NOLA
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    mustard is just a binder. Works better than oil. 

lousubcap said:
    @MaskedMarvel - How did it turn out?? The tallow will definitely enhance any outcome!
    The friend is effectively staying with her 92 year old mom in the hospital (upper respiratory, not good), and promised to take pics for me when they’d unwrapped. I’ll get those here asap! :)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Friend’s update - 

She says it’s OMG delicious and it’s a good thing the dogs don’t have springs in their legs anymore. 

Here’s a quick pic and one of the dogs, Levi. 

Thanks for the help gang. I knew I could count on ya. :);):)

I appreciated the obligatory fork shot, particularly..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Friend’s update - 

She says it’s OMG delicious and it’s a good thing the dogs don’t have springs in their legs anymore. 

Here’s a quick pic and one of the dogs, Levi. 

Thanks for the help gang. I knew I could count on ya. :);):)

I appreciated the obligatory fork shot, particularly..
    Nice!!! That looks amazing.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,870
    Options
    That's a great result on a challenging cook.  Congrats.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    That's a great result on a challenging cook.  Congrats.
    Thanks! Nona just dropped a few slices over on her way back to the hospital. Had a bite..

eats like a moist and classic brisket slice, flavor close to a jerky or slim Jim almost. So - looks to me like it really took the smoke and spices. But texture was spot on. Whew!

the friend who has the farm is switching processors and is (as of now) aware of the exact packer trim for next time. And there WILL be a next time. 

Again everyone - thanks for all the support and walking through this with me. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• lousubcap
    Options
    Way to bring it home and do a great thing to support your friend and all she is dealing with. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Nice thread. Thanks for sharing! 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.