Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Katz's Deli Pastrami

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited May 2014 in EggHead Forum
Interesting article on how they make their own pastrami. Cure. Rub. Smoke. Boil. Steam. The smoke step alone takes 2-3 DAYS! I made some once with Thirdeye's recipe, but didn't boil or steam. It was great anyway! I've had pastrami at Carnegie Deli in NY, but never at Katz's. If Katz's is better, it HAS to be illegal!! 

Remember this? Pretty sure Meg had the pastrami. 
:))

Billy had a burger...  

:D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I've seen Katz on a tv before (Travel Channel or Food Network) and it does look amazing. 

Meathead has a recipe for Katz's style 'strami:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've eaten Katz pastrami, it's unbelievable.  You'll have an orgasm.
    Options
    Katz's deli changed my life.  Incredible.
    NOLA
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Here's mine (only attempt so far). Katz's and Meathead's look better. Mine looks too much like corned beef. :)

imageimageimageimage

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks pretty darn good to me Michael.  I am doing that Katz recipe one of these days...soon!   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That looks good Michael!

Here's one I made.  Done it a few times.

Options
    Thanks, guys. Have to try it again soon. Low sodium diet is a PITA though! One sandwich is probably my daily limit. Ham, same story. Sigh...

Nola, yours looks good!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Look what I found! A pic of it on the egg! Proof!! LOL.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Carolina Q‌ nice slicer! Commercial?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • williamadamsesq
    Options
    It was that good. Now I want to make a Reuben fatty
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'll be in Manhattan tomorrow, hmm...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    DMW, pretty sure it's a long way from Katz to Carnegie. If you're closer to Carnegie, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    @Carolina Q‌ nice slicer! Commercial?
    Thanks. It's a 1940something Globe 150 commercial slicer I picked up for about $100. :) Very nice, but I don't use it often.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• boostfed
    boostfed Posts: 63
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Katz is definitely something special. Took swmbo there awhile back and it was awesome! The sheer amount of meat they go through in mere seconds is amazing. There's always a line there, but just push you way forward and order up, worth every bite.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,846
    Options
    would never of guessed the boiling before steaming. i eat some straight off the egg, then into the pressure cooker for 20 or so minutes, the pressure cooker steam makes a huge difference

off the egg

then refrigerated and later pressure cooked, you can see the difference in texture

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it