Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too hot to sear?

Options
2»

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,566
    Options
    We are trying to digitize an analog operation that works well for me. 
    Information overload (having lived it in the early stages of the here and now in a previous life) works for many applications but Q??
    It is Veteran's Day so I may request a hall pass this evening.  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,223
    Options
    Botch said:
    One thought I’ve had for a while: how predictive can any probe be based on temperature measurements alone?  In particular I’m thinking about things like pork shoulders and briskets, where the stall is a big x-factor.
    The sensor closest to the surface of the meat hits 160º, and the software notes the temp doesn't change for x minutes, the software then notes when the next-deeper sensor hits 160º, and how long it takes to start rising again, etc.  I dunno, just spitballin' here.  
    Overall the piece of meat cools at the surface, when liquid water turns to steam; does it turn to steam to escape deeper within the meat, when the water level "above" it finally vacates enough?  Or, since this all happens at well below the boiling point of water, maybe its not conversion from liq water to steam that causes the stall at all, but rather the conversion of solid collagen to liquid?  
    Regardless of the "mechanics" of the stall, since the data from many cooks can be read by these manufacturers, they may be able to build a predictive model via iteration with that much data, and come up with something that works in "most" cases.  
    Now my head hurts.  
    You are focused on the moment when the meat is in the stall.  No doubt once it’s in it, then it becomes much more easier to forecast.  I was talking about much earlier in the cook.

Data from other cooks by all the users could certainly help, although I think some additional info (such as the initial weight of the protein) could be helpful.  Although that could perhaps be inferred from the temperature measurements themselves.  
    I wonder if you could use some sort of electrical currently to measure the fat % of the meat like a weight scale does?  Maybe ise two probes.  To perform the measurements? Maybe have a scale that measures weight and body fat feed back the data to the combustion thermometer?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,676
    Options
    Botch said:
    One thought I’ve had for a while: how predictive can any probe be based on temperature measurements alone?  In particular I’m thinking about things like pork shoulders and briskets, where the stall is a big x-factor.
    The sensor closest to the surface of the meat hits 160º, and the software notes the temp doesn't change for x minutes, the software then notes when the next-deeper sensor hits 160º, and how long it takes to start rising again, etc.  I dunno, just spitballin' here.  
    Overall the piece of meat cools at the surface, when liquid water turns to steam; does it turn to steam to escape deeper within the meat, when the water level "above" it finally vacates enough?  Or, since this all happens at well below the boiling point of water, maybe its not conversion from liq water to steam that causes the stall at all, but rather the conversion of solid collagen to liquid?  
    Regardless of the "mechanics" of the stall, since the data from many cooks can be read by these manufacturers, they may be able to build a predictive model via iteration with that much data, and come up with something that works in "most" cases.  
    Now my head hurts.  
    You are focused on the moment when the meat is in the stall.  No doubt once it’s in it, then it becomes much more easier to forecast.  I was talking about much earlier in the cook.

Data from other cooks by all the users could certainly help, although I think some additional info (such as the initial weight of the protein) could be helpful.  Although that could perhaps be inferred from the temperature measurements themselves.  
    I wonder if you could use some sort of electrical currently to measure the fat % of the meat like a weight scale does?  Maybe ise two probes.  To perform the measurements? Maybe have a scale that measures weight and body fat feed back the data to the combustion thermometer?
    The probe has 8 sensors, it is probably estimating the cook time based on the temperature increase rate between sensors.  It knows the temperature differential between the meat and the ambient temperature (because of the sensors).  You probably tell it what type of meat you are cooking.  I suspect that it derives the mass, or the surface area of the piece of meat based on a few constants and data from the sensor.

Here’s a random link that may or may not explain that 😂🤣:  https://douglasbaldwin.com/media/Heat_Transfer_in_Meat_for_CRC%20Handbook.pdf

I forgot almost all my calculus, I guess that it is time to refresh my memory!

Options
    dbCooper said:
    @dbCooper

Their bluetooth protocol is fully documented: https://developer.combustion.inc/

I pulled the trigger.  My intention is to build a wifi gateway and/or integrate it with Homebridge.

Options
    paqman said:
    dbCooper said:
    @dbCooper

I pulled the trigger.  My intention is to build a wifi gateway and/or integrate it with Homebridge.
    In case you weren't already aware - Chris Young, the inventor of these, is fairly active/responsive on his reddit sub and he and some other redditors might be helpful with your project.

https://www.reddit.com/r/combustion_inc/

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,676
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    paqman said:
    dbCooper said:
    @dbCooper

In case you weren't already aware - Chris Young, the inventor of these, is fairly active/responsive on his reddit sub and he and some other redditors might be helpful with your project.

https://www.reddit.com/r/combustion_inc/

I’ve seen some tidbits of code there that I can probably reuse.  Hopefully the hardware will be up to my expectations.