Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too hot to sear?

Options
I'm a long time fan of Chris Young's work and products and his latest video is about the best temperature for searing. Is hotter better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZY8xbdHfWk
“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @HeavyG - just started the video, I'm intrigued.

I am also intrigued about his thermometer that he mentions at the beginning.  Do you have one?  I've always felt the Meater lacks when it comes to forecasting when the protein will be done, and his seems like it could be a bit smarter on that tack.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,168
    edited November 2023
    Options

I am also intrigued about his thermometer that he mentions at the beginning.  Do you have one?  I've always felt the Meater lacks when it comes to forecasting when the protein will be done, and his seems like it could be a bit smarter on that tack.  
     Here you go (Meater is terrible at predicting done, in my personal experience):

https://youtu.be/RXpmTlEiqVo?si=bGHxEWQwPfudUFFU
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac - thanks but I know where to find it, I wanted to get a sense of how well it actually works in practice.  And preferably from someone not trying to make money selling it to me.  I'm particular that way.  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,497
    Options
    I'd like to know how he films those cutaway-frypan shots; quite a trick!  

"In the twinkling of an eye, I found myself without an office, without a seat, without a party, and without an appendix."  - Winston Churchill

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited November 2023
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac - thanks but I know where to find it, I wanted to get a sense of how well it actually works in practice.  And preferably from someone not trying to make money selling it to me.  I'm particular that way.  

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombiSteamOvenCooking/comments/zr6yj5/anyone_receive_a_combustion_inc_thermometer_yet/&ved=2ahUKEwjrj_2rlLqCAxWRJEQIHSiJCw0QzLMHegQIWBAB&usg=AOvVaw0pwQYYLFn9o54OPsSjsrP4
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,451
    Options
    Nice video with scientific explanations.  I'm too lazy to move off the reverse sear with the caveman finish. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombiSteamOvenCooking/comments/zr6yj5/anyone_receive_a_combustion_inc_thermometer_yet/&ved=2ahUKEwjrj_2rlLqCAxWRJEQIHSiJCw0QzLMHegQIWBAB&usg=AOvVaw0pwQYYLFn9o54OPsSjsrP4
    Let me be more precise: I asked @HeavyG if he had one and if so how well it worked, because if he did I wanted his opinion.  I'm not terribly interested in the opinions of some randos on the internets.   
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I use Sous Vide and my torch.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

Let me be more precise: I asked @HeavyG if he had one and if so how well it worked, because if he did I wanted his opinion.  I'm not terribly interested in the opinions of some randos on the internets.   
    Hopefully this will answer your question.

https://reviewed.usatoday.com/ovens/best-right-now/the-best-oven-thermometers
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Hopefully this will answer your question.

https://reviewed.usatoday.com/ovens/best-right-now/the-best-oven-thermometers
    Your attempt to troll me has been noted.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Emphasis on attempt. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,556
    Options
    Cold searing?
    Former chemistry major turned chef. Skip to the 5:10 mark if you don't want to watch the boring SV part.

https://youtu.be/uJcO1W_TD74?feature=shared
    canuckland
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,091
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I'm a long time fan of Chris Young's work and products and his latest video is about the best temperature for searing. Is hotter better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZY8xbdHfWk
    Informative video, thanks for sharing it.
    For my tastes, he is wrong about char (blackened) being bad.  For sure crisping the complete face of a steak would be bad, but bits here and there, especially on the exposed fat pockets, are good.  And the fat rind on a ribeye or strip can be tasty if stood on end and given a good char.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,359
    Options

I do have a couple. Preordered when they were first announced and they delivered about a year ago.

They're pretty slick. Noticeably thinner than the Meater. The predictive aspect is "ballpark" in my limited experience with them. Young has stated that as they continue to gather more data from peoples cooks that they (Combustion) will be able to better dial in the predictive abilities.

Young has been rather active in the reddit sub - https://www.reddit.com/r/combustion_inc/ so if you are interested that sub is worth a read.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    Options
    Botch said:
    I'd like to know how he films those cutaway-frypan shots; quite a trick!  
    Chris Young was the primary co-author of that fabulous multi-volume book "Modernist Cuisine"  that Nathan Myhrvold published a decade or so ago. That was a photo technique they developed for those books. Very cool! I'm sure if you google that you'll find a source that explains all the ways they photographed the stuff in their "Modernist Cuisine", "Modernist Bread", and "Modernist Pizza" series.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I do have a couple. Preordered when they were first announced and they delivered about a year ago.

They're pretty slick. Noticeably thinner than the Meater. The predictive aspect is "ballpark" in my limited experience with them. Young has stated that as they continue to gather more data from peoples cooks that they (Combustion) will be able to better dial in the predictive abilities.

Young has been rather active in the reddit sub - https://www.reddit.com/r/combustion_inc/ so if you are interested that sub is worth a read.
    Nice try. John doesn't want Chris Young's feedback.  Chris Young is part of the deep state with a capitalist need to lie and hawk overblown goods on unsuspecting Duke professors.  Reddit is a bastion of misinformation.

He only wants @Botch 's feedback.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,673
    Options
    @Canugghead interesting video, I'm really not sure about cooking on high with non-stick.  She insists there is no need to be concerned and I am using the same pans; I may give it a try.

I've been taught to add fat/oil to hot skillets and to never add it to a cold pan and to avoid smoking oil... That may be why she is having so much problems with the traditional method.

Options
    Thanks for sharing that video @HeavyG

edited November 2023
    Options

I am also intrigued about his thermometer that he mentions at the beginning. 
    Hmmm, I'm intrigued too.  This looks promising.  He publishes open-source development frameworks on GitHub.  That may be the hardware I've been waiting for.

Options

I own one and absolutely love it!! It works great, I haven’t missed a perfect medium rare since buying it.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,091
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Cold searing?
    Former chemistry major turned chef. Skip to the 5:10 mark if you don't want to watch the boring SV part.

I enjoyed this one, Gary.  Lots of useful tips and tricks in it.
  • Botch
    Options
    Meater now has a "Meater 2" out, which also has multiple sensors and is now safe to over 900º, fwiw:

https://store-us.meater.com/products/meater-2-plus

"In the twinkling of an eye, I found myself without an office, without a seat, without a party, and without an appendix."  - Winston Churchill

• Canugghead
    Options
    paqman said:
    @Canugghead interesting video, I'm really not sure about cooking on high with non-stick.  She insists there is no need to be concerned and I am using the same pans; I may give it a try.

I've been taught to add fat/oil to hot skillets and to never add it to a cold pan and to avoid smoking oil... That may be why she is having so much problems with the traditional method.
    IMO she dramatised the traditional method to contrast it with her cold searing technique.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Cold searing?

I enjoyed this one, Gary.  Lots of useful tips and tricks in it.
    @JohnInCarolina and @paqman I think you'll like this too
    https://youtu.be/rzL07v6w8AA?feature=shared
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @Canugghead - I’ve seen that one before.  I generally like her videos.  They are informative with a minimal amount of fluff.  
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Botch said:
    Meater now has a "Meater 2" out, which also has multiple sensors and is now safe to over 900º, fwiw:

https://store-us.meater.com/products/meater-2-plus

There is at least one more player in the multiple sensor/predictive analysis game - Typhur.

They recently came out with their model that looks pretty slick. One small thing they've done that is a useful touch is labeled each thermo so you can easily tell one from another. It's a small detail but with my pair of Combustion thermos you have to try and remember (I write a note) which is which.

One potential little problem I see is that as nice as their display is it's likely to be just like their instant read thermo and be kinda hard to read outside at noon on a cloudless day.

https://www.typhur.com/products/sync-wireless-thermometer

Anybody that may be interested in buying these can use this code which should be good for one more week to get 20% off - THATDUDE20

P.S. I am just a customer and not the CEO of Typhur so I'm not a deep state capitalist spouting overblown corporate propaganda just to hawk my wares so rest easy @Ozzie_Isaac.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    One thought I’ve had for a while: how predictive can any probe be based on temperature measurements alone?  In particular I’m thinking about things like pork shoulders and briskets, where the stall is a big x-factor.
  • Botch
    Options
    One thought I’ve had for a while: how predictive can any probe be based on temperature measurements alone?  In particular I’m thinking about things like pork shoulders and briskets, where the stall is a big x-factor.
    The sensor closest to the surface of the meat hits 160º, and the software notes the temp doesn't change for x minutes, the software then notes when the next-deeper sensor hits 160º, and how long it takes to start rising again, etc.  I dunno, just spitballin' here.  
    Overall the piece of meat cools at the surface, when liquid water turns to steam; does it turn to steam to escape deeper within the meat, when the water level "above" it finally vacates enough?  Or, since this all happens at well below the boiling point of water, maybe its not conversion from liq water to steam that causes the stall at all, but rather the conversion of solid collagen to liquid?  
    Regardless of the "mechanics" of the stall, since the data from many cooks can be read by these manufacturers, they may be able to build a predictive model via iteration with that much data, and come up with something that works in "most" cases.  
    Now my head hurts.  

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Botch said:
    The sensor closest to the surface of the meat hits 160º, and the software notes the temp doesn't change for x minutes, the software then notes when the next-deeper sensor hits 160º, and how long it takes to start rising again, etc.  I dunno, just spitballin' here.  
    Overall the piece of meat cools at the surface, when liquid water turns to steam; does it turn to steam to escape deeper within the meat, when the water level "above" it finally vacates enough?  Or, since this all happens at well below the boiling point of water, maybe its not conversion from liq water to steam that causes the stall at all, but rather the conversion of solid collagen to liquid?  
    Regardless of the "mechanics" of the stall, since the data from many cooks can be read by these manufacturers, they may be able to build a predictive model via iteration with that much data, and come up with something that works in "most" cases.  
    Now my head hurts.  
    You are focused on the moment when the meat is in the stall.  No doubt once it’s in it, then it becomes much more easier to forecast.  I was talking about much earlier in the cook.

Data from other cooks by all the users could certainly help, although I think some additional info (such as the initial weight of the protein) could be helpful.  Although that could perhaps be inferred from the temperature measurements themselves.