Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bavette steak

Options
Costco calls it “flap” but I prefer the name bavette, as Aaron Franklin calls it in his steak book.  First time cooking this type of steak but it turned out well.  Used a light dusting of Chupacabra Steak seasoning on 2 steaks, and cow lick on the other.  Did a mini- reverse sear; ~15min at 250, then seared for ~2min per side at ~500ish.

the thicker section turned out just right, but the thinner ends were just a bit chewy.  For one third the price of ribeye, I think this will stick in the egg rotation.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Yep- lots of non main-stream steak cuts out there. Great result right there. 
    Reverse sear related- use the low and slow reverse sear to hit within a couple of degrees*F on the low side and then just sear for the crust. 
    That said, great bark right there as well.  Nailed the cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    It’s my go to for tacos, flap meat. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    We make tartare with the thinner section.  Try dry brining the meat 2-3 days before cooking, you won’t believe how much it improves it.  1% of the meat weight in salt is a good start.  This is one of my favourite cut of meat and it is fantastic cooked caveman style.  Your looks pretty good from here!

Options
    Beautiful. 

Bavette and Flatiron are two of my favorite cuts. 

Here’s a wagyu flatiron I got from HEB earlier this week. 

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Dobie said:
    It’s my go to for tacos, flap meat. 
    Truer words have never been spoken!

I hear the beef version is good on tortillas with various condiments, also.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    That looks like a great cook and worthy of being in the rotation.

How did the seasonings compare?  I use the Chupacabra Steak rub all the time since some friends of mine started winning BBQ contests with it - whenever they have a "steak" or "ribeye" or similar category.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• NewfoundEgger
    Options
    First time using the Chupacabra steak seasoning. It was good, but think I prefer the Cow Lick.  Key difference is that Chupacabra has some sugar and I could taste a bit of sweetness.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    beautiful beautiful results on a tricky cook. Thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,760
    Options
    in new england we call those sirloin tips. ive probably eaten more of those than any other cut
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 366
    Options
    This and Tri-Tip, either cut sliced thin, are my favorite sandwich fillings. I like them with mayo on homemade sourdough bread. Reliably yummy!
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Grogu
    Grogu Posts: 125
    Options
    in new england we call those sirloin tips. ive probably eaten more of those than any other cut
    and we’re apparently odd balls in calling it that because when I’ve gone searching in the past for recipe ideas you get almost nothing searching sirloin tips. That always confused me because likewise I’ve probably eaten more of these than any other steak. Around here it’s typically sold already cut into strips. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen it like pictured above cooked whole and sliced after.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,760
    Options
    Grogu said:
    and we’re apparently odd balls in calling it that because when I’ve gone searching in the past for recipe ideas you get almost nothing searching sirloin tips. That always confused me because likewise I’ve probably eaten more of these than any other steak. Around here it’s typically sold already cut into strips. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen it like pictured above cooked whole and sliced after.
    Always in strips. Cook in strips, cut it down into three tips, rotate it 90 degrees and the finish cut is sideways for tenderness. That or just put the cooked strip in a butter fried split top and eat it like a hotdog
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it