Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo brisket success

Options
So on national brisket day I had a brisket in the freezer that I wanted to use up for a gathering we had.   Long story short I trimmed her up and ended up with about 11-12lbs, I didn't weigh it.  I injected about 16oz of water and minors au jus prep, then vacuumed sealed it overnight.   I got the egg up to 350 indirect and rubbed with SPG and just a little hot pepper rub, threw it on. 2hrs, then put a rack in an aluminum pan with 8oz of the au jus and wrapped in aluminum foil for another 2.5 hrs.  I probed and it was at temp and probed like butta.  Pulled it and wrapped her in a blanket for 6 hrs.  I haven't done too many brisket cooks,  but this was by far my best offering.   Melted in your mouth,  juicy,  flavor was on point.  I separated the point and cut up to make burnt ends.  Sliced the flat and I was left with no damn leftovers to make tacos or chili with.   I apologize for not getting better pics because I was very leary about how this would turn out.   I got the idea from Myron Mixon.  May be worth a try for folks out there. 
After the first 2 hrs.

If I were to do over again,  I would take the first 2 hrs to maybe 3 to get more bark,  but this was a trial and didn't want to change much.   No pics on the burnt ends because of beverages and lack of optimism on this cook,  but I'll definitely do this again. 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,473
    Options
    However you get there and enjoy is all that matters in the end-game.  But these high-speed cooks really reduce your adult supervisory beverage time. 
    No leftovers means it was quite a success. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    Looks like a win to me.  Take it however you get it.  

With that said, it look like you could have improved the angle of your slice to get across the grain a little better.  It's hard to tell then when you have a good bark, so I sometimes cut a lead corner of the flat for a cook's treat and double purpose that to see how the grain of the meat is running.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,473
    Options
    The perpendicular grain run flat slice before seasoning is a must for me.  Takes the worry out of being close.  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's a relatively slick, no fuss method. 

I stopped chasing brisket a while ago. Didn't have the patience to work out the kinks in my MO. Having said that, of the top 3 briskets I ever did, a hot n fast brisky smoked in a UDS was one of them

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 355
    Options
    That's why I've shyed away from briskets, because of the long cooks and I don't really want to invest in a temp regulator
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I love turbo anything. Cars. Diesel trucks. Butts. Briskets. As others have said looks like a win. I stopped being scared of briskets years ago. I'm not Aaron Franklin so I cook em many ways. I've cooked em tough and needed to chop it. Cooked em mushy. Cooked em perfect and sliced them. Never have I thought "this thing sucks". Ill.try this method, thanks. Life's too short to fret over an over priced tough cut of meat. Even if said cut can become heaven on a smoker. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Welp. Another way to chase the brisket. And a great result as well. I have had brisket cook in 9 hours, and had them go 18. I researched to find a great chili recipe for all my failures. 

That is one sweet cook, and I am very happy you find the way. Thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky