Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beware mass market BBQ

Options
Teefus
Teefus Posts: 1,208
I took Bride of Teefus to a couple local BBQ places this holiday weekend. My patio is under construction and the cooking gear is mothballed until complete. It was an interesting experience.

Location #1 - Saturday. Local BBQ specialty place.

Q: How do you prepare your Brisket? A: Um, we use a smoker.
Q: Do you do it Texas Style? A: We use a smoker.
Q: Do you smoke whole Briskets or just flats. A: Um, it's Brisket
Me: OK, I'll roll the dice on the Brisket.

It turned out to be sliced point that had been sitting in au jus way too long. Very wet and no bark. Not much smoke. I took a slice home and it made a decent breakfast on toast. It tasted a little smokier when reheated.

Location #2 - Sunday. Local farm to table place with BBQ

Q: It's our first time here. What is your specialty? Any signature entrees? A: Our Brisket.
Q: How do you prepare it? Is it Texas Style? A: We cover it with spices and cook it for a long time.
Q: Do you smoke it? We cook it in a convection oven with liquid smoke, but you can't tell.
Me: I'll have the cheeseburger

The cheeseburger was actually pretty good and so huge I took half home for dinner.

I'm finding that if you stray from pulled pork (which no one can screw up) pickens are pretty slim at mass market places. Blacks BBQ in Lockhart, TX has spoiled me completely on Brisket and Beef Ribs.

Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Anything that smells of chain, or multiple locations is best left undisturbed. At least in my neck of the woods. I just don’t bother anymore.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Anything that smells of chain, or multiple locations is best left undisturbed. At least in my neck of the woods. I just don’t bother anymore.

My buddy said "hey man we should go to City BBQ in grove city its pretty darn good"  IDK i have lived here 10 years and have managed to avoid it for that long...
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
     My buddy said "hey man we should go to City BBQ in grove city its pretty darn good"  IDK i have lived here 10 years and have managed to avoid it for that long...
    When City BBQ first opened around here it actually was pretty good. But that was more than ten years ago and the last time I tried it I said never again.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Teefus said:

I'm finding that if you stray from pulled pork (which no one can screw up) pickens are pretty slim at mass market places. Blacks BBQ in Lockhart, TX has spoiled me completely on Brisket and Beef Ribs.

Obviously you've not been to places in NC.  They can and have screwed up pulled pork.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    I'm a fan of City BBQ.  Was surprised to see that they are out of Ohio.  When they first opened here in NC, they didn't have fried okra as a side.  I submitted a comment card saying if they wanted to be successful in NC, they needed it.  They now have it (not necessarily because of me), and actually do a nice job.  The breading is not too thick.
    Raleigh, NC
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I don't even remember the name.... There are so many places around here.  I took one of my sons. I usually get a sampler platter hoping at least one item is above average.  Nothing was good. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • CGS
    CGS Posts: 71
    Options
    When I started smoking bbq, I had a high expectation when going out to eat Texas bbq. I finally came to the realization that bbq joints are just like any other restaurant segments: some good, some ok, and some not so good. Now I just go for the overall experience,

I give true bbq joint owners a lot of credit, as its gotta be the hardest restaurant to run right - long hours cooking a product with limited shelf life for quality.

t

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    rekameohs said:
    I'm a fan of City BBQ.  Was surprised to see that they are out of Ohio.  When they first opened here in NC, they didn't have fried okra as a side.  I submitted a comment card saying if they wanted to be successful in NC, they needed it.  They now have it (not necessarily because of me), and actually do a nice job.  The breading is not too thick.
    I assume they don’t go so far as to have a vinegar sauce option?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options

There is a good place in town but their rations leave a lot to be desired, I took my linebacker nephew there and when we walked out I said, “ well where do you want to go to get something to eat “?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    In my opinion, comparing it to what you can make at home or one of the temples of BBQ isn't really fair.

Our local chain, Mission BBQ, isn't as good as mine, or the best BBQ I've ever had.  I go there once in a while, because it isn't competing with those - it is competing with Panera, Popeyes, Chipotle, pizza, etc - a place where I'm going to grab something in 30-40 minutes while running errands or after a long day at the office.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    We rarely visit bbq restaurants. Just checked the takeout menu of a place in town the other day...

canuckland
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Forty one $$ for a pound of pork? I know that price is loonies and not freedom dollars but still - that's a pretty gobsmacking price!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    haha those brisket prices are higher than Franklin!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    The only chain I don’t mind is Rudy’s.   The rest I’ll pass on.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    The brisket and pulled pork I served at our Mother's Day get together would have cost over $1K had I ordered from this place, lol
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Dang- That is pushing the outer edge of the market.  Guess people pay for it. 
    You can amortize a XXL BGE in no time at those rates. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I can only imagine how good a $58 rack of competition-style ribs, (basted, basted) must taste.  

Clinton, Iowa
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Acn said:
    In my opinion, comparing it to what you can make at home or one of the temples of BBQ isn't really fair.

Our local chain, Mission BBQ, isn't as good as mine, or the best BBQ I've ever had.  I go there once in a while, because it isn't competing with those - it is competing with Panera, Popeyes, Chipotle, pizza, etc - a place where I'm going to grab something in 30-40 minutes while running errands or after a long day at the office.
    Made me think of this video I saw just the other day.  A vlogger got lambasted for waiting for so many hours in line to try Franklins, "oh, you coulda cooked your own in that time", etc.
    So, he did.

https://youtu.be/7KtJyE9A6LE

Pretty cool project, and he openly admitted that Franklin's was worth it (so did Aaron!)

EDIT: At the 7:30 mark, the host said the smoker was running too hot, so he added a rebar to the smoker at the top.  What does that do?    

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Botch said:
    Acn said:

Made me think of this video I saw just the other day.  A vlogger got lambasted for waiting for so many hours in line to try Franklins, "oh, you coulda cooked your own in that time", etc.
    So, he did.

https://youtu.be/7KtJyE9A6LE

Pretty cool project, and he openly admitted that Franklin's was worth it (so did Franklin!)  
    I watched that the other day, Aaron almost heaving when he took a bite of Jeremys Brisket was Priceless 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @botch it looks like he used the rebar to partially block the air inlets, or exhaust.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    The Pit Barrel Cooker is designed to run with both rebars inserted as the primary cook style is hanging the food.  Changed up the air flow characteristics as mentioned above.
    Credit for a great undertaking. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I used to agree w that statement (at least the Austin Group) until K&M sold back to the ownership and the quality went quickly downhill.  I dont even stop there for gas anymore.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    I used to agree w that statement (at least the Austin Group) until K&M sold back to the ownership and the quality went quickly downhill.  I dont even stop there for gas anymore.
    Crap, good intel.   Haven’t stopped by for anything other than breakfast tacos in a while.   Good thing we, like you, have plenty other local haunts in Houston.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I must confess I have a good local joint minutes away, I don’t bother with the large cuts anymore, brisket, pork butt or ribs. I can drive there in a few minutes and get better than I can make. With only the wife and me, it’s great. Prior to that opening is what drew me the the egg, it sucked not having any quality Q around. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    Went to a local “Award Winning..” Q restaurant a few weeks ago in the Swamp. Not sure what they were awarded for but the chicken was rubbery and my wife only took 2 bites of her burger before signaling for me to get the check. When the waitress asked if we wanted to go boxes, we laughed and told her not to bother. Paid and tipped waitress , service wasn’t bad, and left.

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    rekameohs said:
    It is good to hear that the locations have the opportunity to make decisions on sides. It’s important. It’s the small details like that which will keep them alive. The challenge I have is like any other “decent” chain. It’s right down the middle of the road. Not terrible, not incredible. You want Q and don’t want to cook or can’t, it works. Me, I’ll take the chance, go for the adventure and when it’s killer it makes all the mediocre worth it. @alaskanassasin, Ray Ray’s Hog Pit in Clintonville up on High St. is worth a visit.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    My experience with City BBQ (Lexington, KY) was a disappointment. The brisket was a soggy pile of what seemed to be loose pot roast. My wife had the pulled pork and enjoyed it.

We have a Mission BBQ local to me and it's been good for 2 out of three visits. It seems that by supper time the brisket is worn out. At lunch it's fresh out of an overnight smoke and the taste and texture are dialed in pretty well. At night it's way overdone from sitting in a holding oven all day.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • CMH88
    CMH88 Posts: 40
    Options
    Count me a Mission BBQ fan. It's close enough to the point where I don't feel like I'm completely missing out living in MD.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    I generally find restaurant grade BBQ way too salty. 
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin