Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood 10-year anniversary pics! Thank you Eggheadforum!

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    Options
    Thanks for the 2020 survival story.  Way to adapt and do what was needed to survive that lost year plus. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    That's just awesome!!  We left St Louis in 2009, lived in Crystal Lake Park until our move to North Carolina!  St Louis is a great Midwest City!!  Congratulations!!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Awesome. Congrats on 10 years! There are enough variables when I'm cooking, I appreciate that my charcoal isn't anything I need to worry about. I've tried several brands, but none have been better than Rockwood.
    Stillwater, MN
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Congratulations and what a great story and achievement.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,144
    Options
    He won’t mention this so I will, but @stlcharcoal has consistently donated lots of lump and other goodies to events like Butt Blast and Brisket Camp, etc.  I’m pretty sure he did that without anyone asking him, too.  The man just shows up with bags and bags of lump, wood chunks, and Rockwood hats, just to name a few things.  It has been greatly appreciated.  

I only smoke with Rockwood.  
    John’s not exaggerating. Jonathan LITERALLY showed  up for Butt Blast. :) I couldn’t believe he came all the way to NC. So cool. We helped so many in need that weekend. 

Who’s got those handmade tools!?! ;)

To this day - if I need anything I just email the guy. 
    My kinda people. My kinda company. 

My my my… we need another BB…
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Corv
    Corv Posts: 371
    Options
    I tried three bags, bought at different times, and all I ever got was small gravel-sized bits. Is that what you all get?
    I don't use it any more for that reason.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    Options
    I routinely get a majority of what I would call playing card deck size or slightly smaller and also some much larger sized pieces.  The really small bits accumulate at the bottom of the bag but it all burns. 
    Obviously how the product is handled during transport has a major impact on what ends up in the bag when sold.
    I buy all mine (save one bag I picked up at Academy Sports) straight from Rockwood.  I'm guessing this cuts down on the total handling process but IDK.
    FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I always buy from Ace. Now there is a brand new ACE 3 miles from the house so I'm good for a while. I've never had a single issue with Rockwood. Gravel size pieces is definitely not the norm in my personal experience. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • ChrisSonn23
    ChrisSonn23 Posts: 280
    Options
    Congrats on 10 years! And many more to come! Happy to be a dealer of your great product. I recommend it to everyone who comes in the store
    BGE Dealer and EggHead since 2013. Find our company on Facebook
    Large BGE
    Waterloo, IL
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Congrats on the 10 years!  Thank you for extending the sale for Freddie-Come-Lately.  I hit a triple (three bagger).
    Flint, Michigan
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Congrats on the 10 years!  Thank you for extending the sale for Freddie-Come-Lately.  I hit a triple (three bagger).
    Well, well, well.  Look who decided to make an appearance.  Welcome back fellow Michigander.  

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    Grogu said:
    Langner91 said:
    Corv said:
    I tried three bags, bought at different times, and all I ever got was small gravel-sized bits. Is that what you all get?
    I had one bag that ACE hardware must have rolled from the distribution center to my local store.  Otherwise, the literally 50 or so bags I have bought (from either ACE or my favorite grill shop) have been the perfect mix of large pieces down to small pieces.  The small pieces work great in my MiniMax, so even the "bad" bag that I got was completely usable.  

I use Kick Ash Baskets in both of my eggs.  Normally, there is very little in a bag of Rockwood that falls directly through the spaces in the basket.  Those pieces that do are usually thin and only fit through in one direction. 

Here is a photo of my most recent fill from a newly opened bag.

Pricey fire starter you’re using there
    I believe that’s just meant to be a metaphor for @Langner91’s divorce…
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story.  And for the great product and service you offer.  I love the 'tink' when I pour it into my egg.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Corv said:
    That’s more of a comment on wherever you buy charcoal from than Rockwood.  I order directly from them and haven’t had excessive amounts of super small pieces.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Congratulations and a huge thank you for providing the lump I use day in and day out.  
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    One should note, that the owner of the company himself is apologizing for the freight company, or the last-mile handling, treating the product like bags of sand. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    I'll also heap on the praise. The consistency is what does it for me. You can buy cheaper or more expensive charcoal and roll the dice on how long it takes to get clean smoke. 
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I used up my last jealous devil pieces for my clean burn today to clean off all the pork butt grease from the grad butt cook. Then, reloaded with Rockwood for the Mothers Day filets. I hate having to use Rockwood for a clean burn. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 371
    Options
    I'll try another bag, then, and this time order it from you. I appreciate your comments very much.
    I'd gotten the bag from the bigger Ace hardware store in Boulder, Colorado, FYI.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Corv said:
    I'll try another bag, then, and this time order it from you. I appreciate your comments very much.
    I'd gotten the bag from the bigger Ace hardware store in Boulder, Colorado, FYI.
    If you're talking about McGuckins, it's hit or miss there.  I have to pick up the bags to see if they're crushed or not and they often are (tbh, that could easily be them and not the carrier).  I haven't seen it anywhere else around here at all.  Ordering direct is easy, but I've thought about asking the ACE in Lafayette. I wish JAX stocked it.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    @Legume Just a thought- you might try mentioning it to the manager/owner. My local ace use to have the same issue. To the point I drove to a different ace about 30 mins further for about a year. Finally one day I didn’t feel like going so far so I went to my local and bought a bag. I spoke with the owner and mentioned the issues I was having and told him I had started going to another ace when I needed lump. 2 months later I was in there for something else and saw him, he gave me a bag to try, would not let me pay for it. Night and day difference. It was a simple mishandling problem. They take it from one pallet to another and when doing so the employees were just tossing it around. Now he makes sure they everyone is aware that it’s brittle and can’t be tossed around like sand or mulch. Hopefully this could be a solution for you. I’ve never had it shipped direct but I would think it would be a little cheaper if you could source locally. 
    Snellville, GA

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Thanks @Eggdicted_Dawgfan, but these guys are really very proud of themselves.  It is a cool store, big and lots of interesting stuff, well beyond a hardware store.  Family owned forever and a real anchor in the community.  That being said, they don't take feedback very well.  They're over staffed and you pay for it.  They were an ACE for a hot minute but apparently that union didn't work out. I made the mistake of mentioning ACE about a year ago and one of the old timers sneered at me and said "we are NOT an ACE hardware." I had a good laugh, but then, hardware isn't my life.

I go there for some things, others I hit HD or somewhere else.  I'll pickup Rockwood when they have a good bag or two and order when I need to.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Understood. I didn’t realize this was not an ace. Too bad they aren’t open to suggestions, sounds like they have it all figured out.
    Snellville, GA

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Congrats on the 10 year anniversary!  I enjoyed the pics and history.  Thanks for sharing it.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Congrats Jonathan, that's awesome you made it 10 yrs and going strong!