Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RIP - Gordon Lightfoot

Options
Sad day.  True Canadian treasure.  Glad they shared him with the world.
A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,088
    Options
    Guy went through a lot of health issues and nothing could stop him from performing.  Legend.

I just spent 40 minutes researching the SS Edmund Fitzgerald because I played the song in his honor.
    I grew up listening to GL, and continue to listen to him regularly.

I remember visiting the Great Lakes Ship Wreck Museum as a kid and seeing all the stories, pictures, and detritus from shipping.  Amazing how big everything is and how treacherous a job it was.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I was always amazed a ship that size could be damaged by the sea .... That was until I went out on it.  Then I realized how small we were.
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    Options
    Great musician.  It’s rare for me to go a week without listening to something of his…
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    My parents were fans and so I grew up hearing his music playing all the time at home.  For whatever reason, this song will always be what I remember of him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5tr_L31StI

Something about it just captures the essence of that time period of the early 70's for me.   Incredibly sad and human and touching, expressing the regret around the collapse of his first marriage.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    Options
    Great voice, always enjoyed his music.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    I just spent 40 minutes researching the SS Edmund Fitzgerald because I played the song in his honor.
    Any ex NT/Nortel folks know that name well.
    Raleigh, NC
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Big fan of his - a CD of his greatest hits seldom leaves my car system. He performed here a month ago and we just could not attend that night.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    RRP said:
    Big fan of his - a CD of his greatest hits seldom leaves my car system. He performed here a month ago and we just could not attend that night.
    Would have figured you still rocked his 8 tracks  :)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    RIP Gordon - The past two years have not been kind to the makers of the sounds of my youth; slowly leaving in bits and pieces that hurt. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • RRP
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    RRP said:
    Would have figured you still rocked his 8 tracks  :)
    I haven't progressed to 8 tracks yet - I'm still spinning 78s
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Jamming out with 78s
    Options

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down

Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee

The lake, it is said, never gives up her dead

When the skies of November turn gloomy

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• RRP
    Options

Jamming out with 78s
    No offense meant, but I was born with only one ear drum. I was diagnosed in grade 3 after an 80 year old spinster B*TCH made fun of me in class after my Mother sent her a note asking that I be moved to the front row since I could not hear well...that old B*TCH teacher then decided to embarrass me by  demonstrating to my classmates that I needed A BIG HEARING HORN similar to that one without the record player of course...
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    RRP said:

Jamming out with 78s
    No offense meant, but I was born with only one ear drum. I was diagnosed in grade 3 after an 80 year old spinster B*TCH made fun of me in class after my Mother sent her a note asking that I be moved to the front row since I could not hear well...that old B*TCH teacher then decided to embarrass me by  demonstrating to my classmates that I needed A BIG HEARING HORN similar to that one without the record player of course...
    The people we remember is always interesting.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    edited May 2023
    Options
    "I love Edmund Fitzgerald's voice..."
    https://youtu.be/zOaFHmMYikc

Seriously, a loss. Sad to hear this. 

Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Today the "Professor of Rock" did a very nice tribute, and an outline of the history of the Edmund Fitzgerald.  At about the halfway point of the video it gets a bit nit-noidy, but the first half is well worth watching.  Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/VLg83dMCShs

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options