Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking with Wood Planks

Options
The_Buffalo
The_Buffalo Posts: 459
edited April 2023 in EggHead Forum
We recently put up a blog about cooking with wood planks.
https://biggreenegg.com/cooking-with-planks/
So my question is how many of you use them and are you willing to share your recipe? 
Also share pictures or it didn't happen =)

Coming to you from the Mothership!

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    I use them for salmon a few times a month. Soak for awhile, put it on the grill until it starts to char a bit, add salmon, throw the plank away afterwards. I used to put the plank and fish on at the same time but I don't think that's the best way
    Boom
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    Been a while but kicked up mash potatoes on cedar crisps up nicely with a soft interior. Probably my favorite planked. Will look for pics tomorrow
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AprèsSki
    AprèsSki Posts: 131
    Options
    Usually use them for salmon or other fatty fish but they truly shine for pork chops.  For salmon; S&P then a light coating of mustard followed by some brown sugar before hitting the plank. For pork, brine and then season to taste.
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    My former bass player put up a cedar fence around his backyard, he wanted it 5' tall but could only get 6' planks, and I acquired a lifetime supply of smoking planks!  Then someone asked if it was untreated cedar fencing, I didn't know, so now I don't have a lifetime supply.  I prefer alder to cedar anyway, and years ago Macbeath's Hardwood in SLC gave me a good discount on a couple boards as they were too warped to use for any kind of construction.  

I know the common knowledge on this site is that soaking your chips/chunks doesn't help, but for planking I do soak the wood overnight (a little extra steam certainly can't hurt salmon).  I also bought a 2' length of plastic-coated chain from Lowe's, which holds a plank under the water in the sink nicely.  I put the plank on the grill first, and as soon as I see a whisp of smoke add the salmon.  

No specific recipe for the salmon (nor photos) other than salt-n-pecker, but I have developed a finishing sauce that I'm fond of on smoked fish:  1 cup mayonnaise, 1 minced chipotle in adobo, and maybe a teaspoon of honey or agave nectar; mix thoroughly and let it set in the frig overnight; that's it!  (minced chives too if I have some growing)

Will have to try poke chops, with a side of mashed potatoes!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Botch said:
    My former bass player put up a cedar fence around his backyard, he wanted it 5' tall but could only get 6' planks, and I acquired a lifetime supply of smoking planks!  Then someone asked if it was untreated cedar fencing, I didn't know, so now I don't have a lifetime supply.  I prefer alder to cedar anyway, and years ago Macbeath's Hardwood in SLC gave me a good discount on a couple boards as they were too warped to use for any kind of construction.  

I know the common knowledge on this site is that soaking your chips/chunks doesn't help, but for planking I do soak the wood overnight (a little extra steam certainly can't hurt salmon).  I also bought a 2' length of plastic-coated chain from Lowe's, which holds a plank under the water in the sink nicely.  I put the plank on the grill first, and as soon as I see a whisp of smoke add the salmon.  

No specific recipe for the salmon (nor photos) other than salt-n-pecker, but I have developed a finishing sauce that I'm fond of on smoked fish:  1 cup mayonnaise, 1 minced chipotle in adobo, and maybe a teaspoon of honey or agave nectar; mix thoroughly and let it set in the frig overnight; that's it!  (minced chives too if I have some growing)

If it’s treated it will be labeled (by law).  Not to say everyone follows the law but highly unlikely you will find treated cedar from a big box store.
    Botch said:

Lol
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Botch said:

If it’s treated it will be labeled (by law).  Not to say everyone follows the law but highly unlikely you will find treated cedar from a big box store.
    The label had a 5/6ths chance of being printed elsewhere on the board, so I'm still not concerned about my decision.  :wink:  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    This is no lie…for some reason just this past month very near to me there have been cedar shake roofs on 3 residential units and 1 very large bank building all which had their shake shingle roofs replaced. As I would drive by all those days I kept thinking…are those shingles any good for smoking, or have them been contaminated by air? Or could a guy just take a few hundred out of the trash bins, check for nails and then run them thru my surface planer and presto-change-o have more than a lifetime of cedar planks? 
    I just find it hard to believe those shingles were going into a landfill someplace!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Can we get a boil water blog?
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    I love them.  This is my first attempt back in 2014, or so.  That egg is my original egg that I lost to divorce.  I really miss that egg.

Does your ex (or her new dude) even use it?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Rumor has it she sold it.  Many of my buddies saw it on FB Marketplace.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    Rumor has it she sold it.  Many of my buddies saw it on FB Marketplace.
    And none of them covertly bought it back for you?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Langner91
    Options
    My nephew tried to buy it, but it was gone.  I had a loaner egg shortly after moving into my apartment, and bought my current Large before she put my original egg up for sale.  She wasn't going to sell it until she knew I had replaced it.

You know why divorce is so expensive?  Because it is worth it!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    Langner91 said:

LOL 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    This is no lie…for some reason just this past month very near to me there have been cedar shake roofs on 3 residential units and 1 very large bank building all which had their shake shingle roofs replaced. As I would drive by all those days I kept thinking…are those shingles any good for smoking, or have them been contaminated by air? Or could a guy just take a few hundred out of the trash bins, check for nails and then run them thru my surface planer and presto-change-o have more than a lifetime of cedar planks? 
    I just find it hard to believe those shingles were going into a landfill someplace!
    Looks like my stupid question doesn't even deserve a reply! =) 

Oh well...I didn't really need 270 years worth of cedar singles any way at my old age! =)
  • RRP
    Options
    HAR HAR HAR...looks like the disliker clown in his widow mommie's basement has waken up so that he can jerk off looking at the 10 o'clock weather girl!

WHAT a loser that poor sumb*tch must be!  

Hey, clown...better listen for mommie's footsteps coming down the stairs! If she keeps catching you "beating the deacon" she just MIGHT raise your rent!!!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Between this thread, and what are you drinking/listening to now, I think we hit the trifecta of sex, drugs and rock n roll
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    I love them.  This is my first attempt back in 2014, or so.  That egg is my original egg that I lost to divorce.  I really miss that egg.

Does your ex (or her new dude) even use it?  
    **** cold man.  Even the deacon disappeared.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    RRP said:
    HAR HAR HAR...looks like the disliker clown in his widow mommie's basement has waken up so that he can jerk off looking at the 10 o'clock weather girl!

WHAT a loser that poor sumb*tch must be!  

Hey, clown...better listen for mommie's footsteps coming down the stairs! If she keeps catching you "beating the deacon" she just MIGHT raise your rent!!!!
    Even @The_Buffalo 's own legit BGE cooking thread is not immune from the Dislike disease. Could this be the final straw? I doubt it.

If @The_Buffalo acts on this then it would truly be the Dislikowart's I did Nazi that coming priceless moment.

canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    My nephew tried to buy it, but it was gone.  I had a loaner egg shortly after moving into my apartment, and bought my current Large before she put my original egg up for sale.  She wasn't going to sell it until she knew I had replaced it.

jeez... that's fvckin' mean. Petty, and mean.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Does anyone soak their planks in anything except water? Wine, sake, etc
    Boom
  • Langner91
    Options
    I don't soak mine in water, so I never thought of wasting using wine or sake.  

I soaked one once, and realized the water doesn't soak into the wood.  The water on the bottom surface was gone in about 2 seconds.  Alcohol would evaporate even faster.

You could marinate the salmon in the wine or sake, and I bet that would give you more flavor.
    Clinton, Iowa