Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

heading to Montreal in June... looking for BGE dealer.

Options
2»

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Whenever you have a moment, please do share the secret as to how one gets onto @Canugghead’s guest list. That, in and of itself, must be worth a drive from Texas. 
    Let's be clear.  If Caliking made the list the bar isn't that high.  Just sayin...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• CMH88
    CMH88 Posts: 40
    Options
    Sorry to hijack, but would prefer not to make a new thread... What are the top poutine spots in Montreal? It will be my first time there and the trip is only two days so I need to be efficient!
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    @CMH88 That’s highly subjective… SWMBO like a “soup” of sauce with french fries and cheese curds; I prefer just a little sauce.  There is often a choice of sauces: classic brown, white/yellow, bbq chicken.  My personal recommendation for a classic poutine is to find a “La Belle Province” (they have multiple locations).  They use real fresh fries and as an added bonus you can get a steamed hot dog.  For something fancy, if you can manage to make a reservation at “Au Pied de Cochon”, you can get a foie gras poutine (sauce made of foie gras, chunks of foie gras, fries fried in duck fat).  Just a word of warning, many of the recommended places when you do a google search are using frozen fries which IMHO is a nonsense.

This is the menu from one of the “La Belle Province” restaurants.  I am not sure if they all have the same owner or if they are franchisees but i’ve had good luck with most of the ones I tried.

Options
    Make sure they have Spray Cheese @caliking
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Make sure they have Spray Cheese @caliking
    (Inside joke)... I had to hide it. Snacks of crackers with spray cheese were more like spray cheese with crackers. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Looks like you did it up right, @caliking. Congrats to the radiant niece and nephew. 

Could that be the venerable Caliprince observing the noodle manufacturing process, perchance?
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392
    Options
    caliking said:
    Returned from our Montreal jaunt earlier this afternoon, so thought I should update this thread. 

So much to love in that city. We rented an apartment near the McGill campus, and didn't seem like we were far from so many things that we wanted to visit. Between sampling just a few of the many wonderful joints in Montreal, and some cooking/grilling/baking in the apartment, we ate very well. I didn't take enough pictures to do it all justice, but here are a few. 

Nouilles de Lan Zhou in Chinatown is a must. If you dig xiao long bao, Sammi & Soupe Dumpling (also in Chinatown; not pictured) is the spot.  

St. Viateur for bagels.

We did stop by Schwartz’s for Montreal smoked meat, and although it was delicious, I am almost certain that @Canugghead likely does it better.

My niece and nephew, the proud grads  :)

Came home with some goodies (including St. Viateur's bagels!), that I am very much looking forward to getting into.

Thanks to so many of you for the tips and recs. We will definitely be going back. 
    So cool! Thanks for sharing. I've never been to Montreal but have visited Quebec City a few times and it looks similar.
    Never seen Maple Syrup in a can before. I bet it's amazing!
    Too bad the air quality was sub-par during your trip.
    That is a new thing for us that live in the vicinity.
    Looks like you had great visit to GWN! Hope to have you back!
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    @keener75 Cans is pretty much the standard for maple syrup around here.  Bottles are for tourists 😂🤣

Options
    good call on the everything bagel seasoning @caliking I forgot to mention it.

Options
    Looks like you had a great visit, nice photos and summary. Thanks for sharing.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    keener75 said:
    caliking said:
    Returned from our Montreal jaunt earlier this afternoon, so thought I should update this thread. 

So much to love in that city. We rented an apartment near the McGill campus, and didn't seem like we were far from so many things that we wanted to visit. Between sampling just a few of the many wonderful joints in Montreal, and some cooking/grilling/baking in the apartment, we ate very well. I didn't take enough pictures to do it all justice, but here are a few. 

Nouilles de Lan Zhou in Chinatown is a must. If you dig xiao long bao, Sammi & Soupe Dumpling (also in Chinatown; not pictured) is the spot.  

St. Viateur for bagels.

We did stop by Schwartz’s for Montreal smoked meat, and although it was delicious, I am almost certain that @Canugghead likely does it better.

My niece and nephew, the proud grads  :)

Came home with some goodies (including St. Viateur's bagels!), that I am very much looking forward to getting into.

Thanks to so many of you for the tips and recs. We will definitely be going back. 
    So cool! Thanks for sharing. I've never been to Montreal but have visited Quebec City a few times and it looks similar.
    Never seen Maple Syrup in a can before. I bet it's amazing!
    Too bad the air quality was sub-par during your trip.
    That is a new thing for us that live in the vicinity.
    Looks like you had great visit to GWN! Hope to have you back!
    Thanks! The air quality didn't seem bad at all. I didn't know about the wildfires until I read about them in the news. Or, maybe I'm just used to lousy Houston air.

The maple syrup was bought from the Atwater market. The big jug was too big, and the little jug was too small, the can was just right :) Atwater market is a dangerous place... too many cool, delicious things there.

• caliking
    Options
    Looks like you did it up right, @caliking. Congrats to the radiant niece and nephew. 

Could that be the venerable Caliprince observing the noodle manufacturing process, perchance?
    Thanks. It was wonderful to see them enjoying their graduation over the past few days. Oh, to be young again.

And,yes, that is caliprince in the pic :)