Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bagels Egged or Oven?

2»

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    edited April 2023
    LetsEat said:
    The culinary dream I have been chasing is the dark golden exterior color, shattering crunch of the crust, open textured crumb, and deeply flavored bread. 
    I just finished reading an article on pretzel-making in Cooks Illustrated.  To get the full-mahogany color on a German pretzel they are dipped in a lye (!) solution for 15 seconds before baking; had half a page of safety precautions included and sounded kind've fussy.  They also included an alternative, baking soda in the dipping water (1/2 cup soda for 8 cups water).  The soda pretzel wasn't near as dark as the lye version, but I bet you could apply the idea to bagels.  

Thanks for the recipe.  Do you have a good way of storing/reviving them the next day?  I usually buy one at Einstein's, as they're best cooked that day, but would like to try these.  EDIT: never mind, I saw in the recipe to freeze and reheat.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 456
    Botch said:
    LetsEat said:
    The culinary dream I have been chasing is the dark golden exterior color, shattering crunch of the crust, open textured crumb, and deeply flavored bread. 
    I just finished reading an article on pretzel-making in Cooks Illustrated.  To get the full-mahogany color on a German pretzel they are dipped in a lye (!) solution for 15 seconds before baking; had half a page of safety precautions included and sounded kind've fussy.  They also included an alternative, baking soda in the dipping water (1/2 cup soda for 8 cups water).  The soda pretzel wasn't near as dark as the lye version, but I bet you could apply the idea to bagels.  

Thanks for the recipe.  Do you have a good way of storing/reviving them the next day?  I usually buy one at Einstein's, as they're best cooked that day, but would like to try these.  
    @Botch I’ve always utilized food grade lye in making pretzels. I grew up watching my German grandmother making them so I never gave it a second thought. Now I have pretzel cravings!

My recipe yields a dozen bagels. They freeze perfectly. Once baked, cool and place in a freezer grade ziploc bag and pop into your freezer. Defrost, toast/warm as needed. 

Give the recipe a go and let me know if you have questions. Enjoy!
    IL 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Lye bath critical in pretzel and most bagel formulations. Changes crust texture as well as gives color. There are no bagel makers/bakeries in Louisiana 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Those look darn good.

I've  done long ferments with sourdough before, but not with instant yeast. Thanks for the clarification re: timeline. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I might try adding baking soda to the bath. Thanks for the tip @Botch.

I started to dip my toes in the pretzel rabbit hole some years ago, then came to a hard stop when I read about the lye bath. Caliprince was a toddler back then. 

PSA - if you have little kids, please don't store lye in the house. Anywhere. I've seen horrible things happen to kids who accidentally ingested lye. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 456
    caliking said:
    Those look darn good.

I've  done long ferments with sourdough before, but not with instant yeast. Thanks for the clarification re: timeline. 
    The added 24 hours wasn’t intentional but the result of being distracted with the dog’s surgery. When I remembered the bagels were still in the refrigerator, I figured had nothing to loose.  I’m still maintaining my three day bake. 
    IL 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    24 hour cold proof shouldn’t do anything but make them better! More fermentation.