Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Gas Stoves And Indoor Air Pollution

Options
13»

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    the camp is pretty air tight, turn the clothes dryer on and the smoke alarm goes off from smoke from the woodstove. 20 below outside and the windows open up to vent the smoke.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I removed all the weather stripping from my doors and windows.  Now I can use my stove with impunity.
    IAQ has gotten far worse at the expense of "Weatherization", I have a leaky old house and I'll keep it that way 
    My uncle has an incredibly airtight house in Northern Wisconsin.  He has the most complex AC system I have ever seen.  He has to pull in a lot of fresh air to keep good IAQ.  He pulls it in, conditions it, then pumps it into the house.  He utilizes some of the return air in heat exchangers then exhausts the return air outside.  He has a huge room dedicated to all the equipment.
    Sounds like yet another engineer in the family mix, huh?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    RRP said:
    lkapigian said:
    I removed all the weather stripping from my doors and windows.  Now I can use my stove with impunity.
    IAQ has gotten far worse at the expense of "Weatherization", I have a leaky old house and I'll keep it that way 
    My uncle has an incredibly airtight house in Northern Wisconsin.  He has the most complex AC system I have ever seen.  He has to pull in a lot of fresh air to keep good IAQ.  He pulls it in, conditions it, then pumps it into the house.  He utilizes some of the return air in heat exchangers then exhausts the return air outside.  He has a huge room dedicated to all the equipment.
    Sounds like yet another engineer in the family mix, huh?
    He is a plumber by trade, and an HVAC hobbyist by choice.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Yes Sir, HRV/ERV , a must in that area, probably has an ERV 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    edited March 2023
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:
    Yes Sir, HRV/ERV , a must in that area, probably has an ERV 
    Not sure which one, I do no he has a massive dehumidifying/humidifying setup too.  Each room is independent, but routes back to his equipment room.

His house is two stories, but all floors are concrete with radiant heating.  His main complaint is seasonal weather swings.  There is a lot of thermal inertia so during seasonal changes, especially winter to spring, it will just about bake you for a few days.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Imagining the multitude of other systems that probably reside in his house is giving me anxiety. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Energy recovery systems pay for themselves fast.
    Options
    We lived in an older "well ventilated" home for nearly 20 years. Now we are in a modern very tight and energy efficient home, hence the induction cooktop. Power bills are down 70%. And if/when IAQ becomes a concern...I open windows.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    HRV's are mandatory here in our building codes. I retro-fitted one into my house (built before the mandates) and it made of world of difference on my allergies, not to mention no more condensation on the windows, etc.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options

Interesting project a group from Stanford is doing.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Interesting project a group from Stanford is doing.

Hmmm, I wonder if those “scientists” just lug their equipment in for kicks and giggles or if they expect to be fed, entertained, bathed and what ever else while and after doing their research.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Gas stoves now.....except for the elite, of course.  But what when they come for our gas grills or *gasp* evil stick burning smokers, and even lump charcoal and our beloved Egg?   Lmao......it's coming.  And sooner than anyone thought.  

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• RRP
    edited June 2023
    Options
    KennyLee said:
    Gas stoves now.....except for the elite, of course.  But what when they come for our gas grills or *gasp* evil stick burning smokers, and even lump charcoal and our beloved Egg?   Lmao......it's coming.  And sooner than anyone thought.  
    Ah sh*t...there goes the financial basis of my estate...(BGEs, lump and even some well hidden chucks of wood)... =)

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I agree, science is bad and we've never really benefitted from it anyway, just the elites.