Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vacmaster 230 On Sale

Options
124»

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    GregW said:
    He is a photo of my setup. Hopefully it will allow me to make better use of the Sous Vide setup and the Robot Coup/Vitamix. I tend to collect things that do not readily fit in my small kitchen.
    My Dream Processor right there 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    @lkapigian
    The Robot Coupe is a beast. Way overkill for home use. It also has a shredder attachment- it can shred enough cabbage for 50 people in a few minutes. It is also an incredible salsa maker, although I do tend to use the Vitamix Vita Prep more often for salsa. The beauty part of the Vitamix is it is self cleaning, just rinse, add water and a dash of detergent and place on the base and turn it back on for a little bit and its clean.
  • GregW
    Options
    I've got a 3# chuck roast I'm tempted to do in the SV- but I'm afraid I won't like the results- 
    Does anyone have any experience with this cook?
  • GregW
    edited February 2023
    Options
    GregW said:
    He is a photo of my setup. Hopefully it will allow me to make better use of the Sous Vide setup and the Robot Coup/Vitamix. I tend to collect things that do not readily fit in my small kitchen.
    Beautiful cart you got there, and it's free?! Love the shelf for the bags.
    GregW said:
    I'm actually a little embarrassed that I got a full refund. The store was somewhat backed into a corner- with the box being destroyed, there was no way to ship the table back. When I look back at the photos of the shipping boxes, They plainly didn't care what condition the table arrived in. It's hard to imagine a company like Web restaurant could be operated like it apparently is- how can they afford to simply give away a expensive order- simply because they did not do a good job packaging.    
  • alaskanassasin
    Options

This is the chamber sealer at the butcher shop I took the hogs to.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options

This is the chamber sealer at the butcher shop I took the hogs to.
    Looked into those, unfortunately you need 220 volt 3 phase.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    GregW said:
    GregW said:
    GregW said:
    I'm actually a little embarrassed that I got a full refund. The store was somewhat backed into a corner- with the box being destroyed, there was no way to ship the table back. When I look back at the photos of the shipping boxes, They plainly didn't care what condition the table arrived in. It's hard to imagine a company like Web restaurant could be operated like it apparently is- how can they afford to simply give away a expensive order- simply because they did not do a good job packaging.    
    I don't know if it is an insurance scam or what, maybe the $99/month membership fee that pays the bills.  I ordered about $1k worth of random stuff during my free membership month, it all came packed terribly.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    3 phase is where the deals are. I think @nolaegghead has 3 phase but not sure he has tapped into it yet. You can buy industrial sheet for nickels
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Couldn't agree more on how some companies don't care about proper packing.

My most recently experience... two separate orders from same company, total five boxes with two 40lb bags of pellets in each box. So far three boxes arrived and two missing. Looking at the 3/3 ripped boxes below I think the other two boxes probably fell apart and lost their contents.

Just opened one bag and transferred to a bucket, surprisingly the pellets are in great shape, there's virtually zero dust at the bottom of the bag!

canuckland
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    GregW said:
    I've got a 3# chuck roast I'm tempted to do in the SV- but I'm afraid I won't like the results- 

Whenever chuck roasts are on sale I buy two - one for Mississippi roast in the Instant Pot and the other to sous vide.
    I do those frequently. I usually run 137°F for 48 hours. Some folks only do 24 hours. Some folks sometimes do 72 hours. I've tried all three and settled on 48 hours.
    I consider it to be a poor man's prime rib. I generously coat each side with Montreal then bag it. I don't always bother to get a good sear but do always make a big batch of chimichurri to go with it.
    Since you apparently have some trepidation about this I have no idea if you would like the results but you never know until you try.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    GregW said:

Whenever chuck roasts are on sale I buy two - one for Mississippi roast in the Instant Pot and the other to sous vide.
    I do those frequently. I usually run 137°F for 48 hours. Some folks only do 24 hours. Some folks sometimes do 72 hours. I've tried all three and settled on 48 hours.
    I consider it to be a poor man's prime rib. I generously coat each side with Montreal then bag it. I don't always bother to get a good sear but do always make a big batch of chimichurri to go with it.
    Since you apparently have some trepidation about this I have no idea if you would like the results but you never know until you try.
    Do you sear before or after sous vide?  I have always seared post sous vide.  I pull it, let it rest to drop the temp, pat ot dry, then sear.  As hot and fast as I can.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    3 phase is where the deals are. I think @nolaegghead has 3 phase but not sure he has tapped into it yet. You can buy industrial sheet for nickels
    Yeah man, the industrial market where the minimal power standard was 3-phase are going in and out of business....there's plenty of everything, mostly fixed appliances. Just have to monitor and jump on a deal.  Or build relationships.

Options
    HeavyG said:
    GregW said:

Do you sear before or after sous vide?  I have always seared post sous vide.  I pull it, let it rest to drop the temp, pat ot dry, then sear.  As hot and fast as I can.

In my opinion, that's the best way, when you can. Unless you're going for smoke and smoke them (half cook or so) before bagging, maybe aggressive enough to build up some bark. But I suppose even better would be refreshing that bark on the end.
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    GregW said:

Post sous vide.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    GregW said:
    Good use of space!

I have the same problem, but have resisted the urge on the chamber sealer.  My tax refund may go toward one, but I am trying to resist as I just don't have room.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • GregW
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    GregW said:

In my opinion, that's the best way, when you can. Unless you're going for smoke and smoke them (half cook or so) before bagging, maybe aggressive enough to build up some bark. But I suppose even better would be refreshing that bark on the end.
    What temperature and time do you recommend?

• GregW
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    GregW said:

One thing that worries me, does the fat render out at this temp/time? That is my main dislike of doing Ribeye's in the Sous Vide- I can't get the fat to render in the short post sear.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    GregW said:
    HeavyG said:
    GregW said:

One thing that worries me, does the fat render out at this temp/time? That is my main dislike of doing Ribeye's in the Sous Vide- I can't get the fat to render in the short post sear.

Any hard fat won't render out. I used to trim out any hard fat beforehand but I don't bother with that anymore as it is easier to just trim away any thick fat when serving/eating. The fat from marbling is not a problem (to me anyway).

• GregW
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    GregW said:
    HeavyG said:
    GregW said:

Any hard fat won't render out. I used to trim out any hard fat beforehand but I don't bother with that anymore as it is easier to just trim away any thick fat when serving/eating. The fat from marbling is not a problem (to me anyway).
    I'm going to give it a try- the worst that can happen is a wasted roast and 48 hours. No risk no reward they say
  • HeavyG
    Options
    GregW said:
    HeavyG said:
    GregW said:
    HeavyG said:
    GregW said:

I'm going to give it a try- the worst that can happen is a wasted roast and 48 hours. No risk no reward they say

That's the spirit!

Let us know how it goes.