Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rodney Scott’s BBQ Sauce Recipe

Options
I decided to try the Rodney Scott Vinegar based sauce yesterday to use with pulled pork.
All I can say is that this sauce is the best vinegar based sauce I have had,
I followed the recipe with the exception of adding Paprika and Accent.
https://destination-bbq.com/rodney-scotts-bbq-sauce-recipe/

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited January 2023
    Options
    LOL - then if your excluded 2 of his ingredients then it REALLY wasn't Rodney Scott's recipe - was it? Some here used to say just change one more thing then it becomes YOURS...BUT expect a fist fight from him if you try to post it as "YOUR" recipe! =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    RRP said:
    LOL - then if your excluded 2 of his ingredients then it REALLY wasn't Rodney Scott's recipe - was it? Some here used to say just change one more thing then it becomes YOURS...BUT expect a fist fight from him if you try to post it as "YOUR" recipe! =)

That's the thing that cracks me up when I read so many comments on a recipe on a website that go like... "Great recipe! I didn't have celery so I substituted brussels sprouts and instead of grape jam I used orange marmalade. The family loved it and will be making your meal again!".

That said tho, I am a fan of vinegar based sauces and I'm sure even with those omissions it would still be pretty tasty.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    This is a very simple recipe.  I’ll definitely give it a try sometime.  I love vinegar based sauces with pulled pork.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    I love the fact that he gives you temperatures to cook to.  I can and have followed the same recipe for chili and have gotten different results because of overcooking (drinking) the spices and cooking the flavor out of them.

Even if he left out a few ingredients, the temperature instructions make it a home run to me.
    South Buffalo, New York
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    RRP said:
    LOL - then if you’re excluded 2 of his ingredients then it REALLY wasn't Rodney Scott's recipe - was it? Some here used to say just change one more thing then it becomes YOURS...BUT expect a fist fight from him if you try to post it as "YOUR" recipe! =)
    I did not have paprika on hand  and it would only have added some color not a lot of flavor plus I avoid adding MSG to any recipe. The base recipe was very good and much better than Apple Cider vinegar versions.  
  • dstearn
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    RRP said:

That's the thing that cracks me up when I read so many comments on a recipe on a website that go like... "Great recipe! I didn't have celery so I substituted brussels sprouts and instead of grape jam I used orange marmalade. The family loved it and will be making your meal again!".

That said tho, I am a fan of vinegar based sauces and I'm sure even with those omissions it would still be pretty tasty.
    Do not try the recipe then! 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Guys…
  • RRP
    Options
    dstearn said:
    RRP said:
    LOL - then if you’re excluded 2 of his ingredients then it REALLY wasn't Rodney Scott's recipe - was it? Some here used to say just change one more thing then it becomes YOURS...BUT expect a fist fight from him if you try to post it as "YOUR" recipe! =)
    I did not have paprika on hand  and it would only have added some color not a lot of flavor plus I avoid adding MSG to any recipe. The base recipe was very good and much better than Apple Cider vinegar versions.  
    Fine! I was trying to explain that if you deleted 2 of his his ingredients then it really wasn’t his recipe, was it?

Way back when I joined the original BGE forum 22 years ago there was such a “fire fight “ when JJ  changed a recipe by a smiggen and then called it his rub recipe! 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• dstearn
    Options
    RRP said:
    dstearn said:
    RRP said:
    Fine! I was trying to explain that if you deleted 2 of his his ingredients then it really wasn’t his recipe, was it?

Way back when I joined the original BGE forum 22 years ago there was such a “fire fight “ when JJ  changed a recipe by a smiggen and then called it his rub recipe! 
    Did you bother to read the article first? The last 3 ingredients were suggestions. 
    I just thought that I would share the recipe since it turned out so well.

You could have said thanks for sharing but instead you have to make a lame a$@ comment about it.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    This is a very simple recipe.  I’ll definitely give it a try sometime.  I love vinegar based sauces with pulled pork.

Isn't this just flavored vinegar?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    Options
    dstearn said:
    RRP said:
    dstearn said:
    RRP said:

Did you bother to read the article first? The last 3 ingredients were suggestions. 

You could have said thanks for sharing but instead you have to make a lame a$@ comment about it.

Oh please forgive me for having sinned against thee for trying to explain what I meant  about changing recipes.  
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options

I used to have a t-shirt with this on it.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • dstearn
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Wow, this went sideways in a hurry.

@dstearn thank you for sharing, I for one, will be trying it.  I love vinegar based sauces.

It’s a great sauce. Unfortunately we have some old forum members that spend too much time selling gaskets out of their garage and have no filter.
  • dstearn
    edited January 2023
    Options
    dstearn said:
    Wow, this went sideways in a hurry.

@dstearn thank you for sharing, I for one, will be trying it.  I love vinegar based sauces.
    It’s a great sauce. Unfortunately we have some old forum members that spend too much time selling gaskets out of their garage and have no filter.

• dstearn
    Options
    RRP said:
    dstearn said:
    RRP said:
    dstearn said:
    RRP said:

Oh please forgive me for having sinned against thee for trying to explain what I meant  about changing recipes.  
    Just stick to selling gaskets out of your garage. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• HeavyG
    Options
    dstearn said:
    RRP said:
    dstearn said:
    RRP said:
    dstearn said:
    RRP said:

Just stick to selling gaskets out of your garage. 

Lighten up Francis!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dstearn
    Options

And is this supposed to be funny? It’s actually very offensive. 
  • HeavyG
    Options
    I have a copy of Rodneys bbq cookbook and I was curious what he wrote in that regarding his sauce. Here it is from page 211...

BACK in Hemingway we used to make barbecue sauce right next to the pit. The pots we used were too big to really fit on a kitchen stove, plus it was more efficient to use hot coals from the pit as our heat source. We'd put a piece of roofing tin down on the floor and then set some hot coals on top of that, and then we would put the pot right on top of the hot coals. When I was a kid, it was mostly men making the sauce-but I was always the designated stirrer.
    You can still do it that way if you want to do all the cooking outside, but these days at the restaurant, we make sauce on the stove.
    The two main ingredients are vinegar and pepper, so you have to balance them right. You don't want the vinegar to be overwhelming. Distilled white vinegar has less acid than other white vinegars, so it helps keep the bite in balance. Also, heating the vinegar takes away some of its sharpness.
    When it comes to the pepper, you want a little spice, but you don't want it so overwhelming that you can't take it. The goal is to get an immediate heat that goes away just as fast as it started. If it lingers too long, you added too much pepper. You know you have it right when you taste a few drops of the finished sauce and, after you taste it, your mouth forms a kiss.
    If you are cooking a whole hog, you'll need a gallon of sauce. But if you're using it for any of the other recipes, you can make only half a gallon.

MAKES 1 GALLON

1 gallon distilled white vinegar
    1 lemon, thinly sliced
    ½ cup ground black pepper
    ⅓ cup cayenne pepper
    1¼ tablespoons red pepper flakes
    2 cups sugar

In a small stockpot, warm the vinegar over medium-high heat. After about 5 minutes, when the vinegar reaches 150°F on an instant-read thermometer, just before it starts to simmer, add the lemon slices and continue to cook until the lemon peels begin to soften and wilt, about 10 minutes more.

Whisk in the black pepper, cayenne, pepper flakes, and sugar. Continue to cook over medium-high heat until the sugar is completely dissolved and the sauce reaches 190°F, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to completely cool before using. Once the lemon is removed, the sauce can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 8 weeks.

I've never made it as I don't like sugary sauces on pulled pork (I stick with just the basic eastern NC/VA type of sauce - usually just the well known "Shack Attack" sauce which I always keep a big bottle of at hand).

It is obvious that Rodney seems to play/tweak his recipe as he sees fit and that's a good thing. Maybe in his next cookbook "Rodney Sauce 2.0" will include some or all of the possible things mentioned earlier.

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dstearn said:

And is this supposed to be funny?
    I think Far Side cartoons are only funny to people who get the joke.  
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    Well this is a nice Sunday morning gem. 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Well this is a nice Sunday morning gem. 

The gold on this forum truly is buried in some of the threads you'd least expect.  
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    dstearn said:
    plus I avoid adding MSG to any recipe. 
    Why ?  There is no proof that it causes issues for people, and it actually adds taste.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/monosodium-glutamate/faq-20058196  

https://foodinsight.org/the-umami-factor-4-surprising-facts-about-msg/
    Raleigh, NC
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,532
    edited January 2023
    Options

I remember seeing this in an OT thread  ;)
    canuckland
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    It's a good school, that's just the entrance exam.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    rekameohs said:
    dstearn said:
    plus I avoid adding MSG to any recipe. 
    Why ?  There is no proof that it causes issues for people, and it actually adds taste.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/monosodium-glutamate/faq-20058196  

https://foodinsight.org/the-umami-factor-4-surprising-facts-about-msg/
    Here is another good explanation of why MSG is wrongly villified.

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4706
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin