Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

APL Whole Beef Tenderloin

Options
My wife signed me up for the entree portion of a progressive dinner for 26 people. With that said, I’m doing 3 tenderloins via APL’s whole beef tenderloin recipe. Plan is to sear on one Egg and smoke them around 275° after. Each one is roughly 4.5 pounds. Any idea how long this should take to reach around 125° internal? I’m trying to map out the cook and having a hard time guesstimating the length of the cook. Thanks!

Answers

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina probably has the most experience with this.  I’ve made it 3x, can’t recall the timing, but it’s a great recipe.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    All I remember is that it tends to take a bit longer than the recipe in APL’s book calls for.  I want to say you should plan on about an hour to 90 minutes.  

It’s a crowd pleaser for sure.  I recommend doing the board sauce with the herbs and everything if you can.  When you get the crust just right on this one it’s as good as it gets.  Smoke with post oak too.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited December 2022
    Options
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    I love the recipes in the APL cook book but am I the only one that finds them a little hard to read?  I can’t remember which recipe off the top of my head but it read like it was missing a page but it wasn’t. Several recipes have ingredients in the list that are never mentioned in the instructions. Great recipes though and as far as timing I think 60-90 minutes sounds about right too but it’s been a year since we cooked one. 
  • slick_rick
    Options
    Just did a little research on this recipe and I think I'm committing to giving this a go for Christmas day.

Looks like some really good comments here:

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1210685/serious-barbecue-adam-perry-lang-whole-beef-tenderloin-with-worcestershire-sauce
    MED - Manhattan
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Just did a little research on this recipe and I think I'm committing to giving this a go for Christmas day.

Looks like some really good comments here:

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1210685/serious-barbecue-adam-perry-lang-whole-beef-tenderloin-with-worcestershire-sauce
    It’s a really good recipe. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Great recipe. 

Whenever I’m cooking for a crowd and timing is crucial, I tend to sous vide. If you have a unit, it’s a great way to keep the meat at the ready for a quick sear and then serve. 
  • SonVolt
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I love the recipes in the APL cook book but am I the only one that finds them a little hard to read?  I can’t remember which recipe off the top of my head but it read like it was missing a page but it wasn’t. Several recipes have ingredients in the list that are never mentioned in the instructions. Great recipes though and as far as timing I think 60-90 minutes sounds about right too but it’s been a year since we cooked one. 

I use his books more as a general guide book for outdoor coking. I don't make the unique/fussy rubs called for in each recipe, I just use my generic homemade seasoning (salt/pepper/onion/garlic/paprika) on everything.  Now, the herb-brush glazes, marinades and board sauces I will follow more closely. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Like I’ve said before, the first unofficial and unlisted step of many APL recipes I’ve consulted is taking the week off work to prep. I joke, but he is no doubt an incredible cook with a lot of phenomenal recipes. I just don’t like to have to make ribs, herb brushes and board dressings for all of my cooks.  ;)
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Above should read “rubs”, not “ribs”.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Not to confuse things, but this tenderloin recipe is amazing - I posted it here a few times as I have used BGE I believe, but link to take a glance is here https://youtu.be/gVgq_bSOH2U 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    NDG said:
    Not to confuse things, but this tenderloin recipe is amazing - I posted it here a few times as I have used BGE I believe, but link to take a glance is here https://youtu.be/gVgq_bSOH2U 
    That does look good.  I bet you could do the roasting phase on the BGE and add a bit of smoke to it to put it over the top.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I think this will be my fourth year making this recipe for Christmas. I like doing a reverse sear on the egg, mostly because it's easier to raise the temp of an egg than lower it. Low and slow until it reaches an internal temp of 118 to 119 and then crank up the egg and give it a good sear on all sides. This is always a crowd pleasing recipe! Good Luck and Merry Christmas!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• SonVolt
    Options
     I just don’t like to have to make herb brushes and board dressings for all of my cooks.  ;)

Herb brush is easy, I just snip a few branches of Rosemary and tie it up with butcher's twine. The board dressing it just the herb brush minced up and mixed with the resting meat juices, and maybe a squeeze of lemon. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    Here is my tenderloin thread:

Tenderloin — Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...

In short, high temp direct 500F to 600F, 3 min per side x 4 sides = 12 min. Then go indirect ... but not 275F, more around 375F ... takes less than 1h to get to 125F internal. My last few cooks were 50 minutes all in (excluding rest period) ... including rest 1h.

Note ... tenderloin is tender, but it lacks fat, so I find taste can be somewhat bland. It is super critical to build a nice crust ... which is why the initial high temp direct sear is necessary. You want a nicely seasoned outer crust. 

On my recent cooks, I have also injected my tenderloins with flavoring, to just enhance the taste of that inner meat. I have been mostly using honey, which I warm in the microwave to get liquid, then use my syringe to inject ... probably about 1/3rd cup to a 6 to 7 lb tenderloin. I normally pat dry the tenderloin, inject flavoring, then apply binder and seasoning. Let that sit overnight in the fridge ... it tastes amazing!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited December 2022
    Options
    @Mark_B_Good How do you inject a tenderloin - lots of small injections all over? No real pockets or space for an injection to travel.

Have you flavored the honey at all?  This made me immediately think of infusing honey with rosemary.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I cut them into steaks, wrap them in par-cooked bacon, and slap them on a screaming hot grill to get some good crust on both sides.  I can, using this method, insure each person gets a piece that is done to their desired level of done-ness.

Oh, a little S&P and a spritz of EVOO to help the crust.

Never a complaint.

Edit to add, the APL deal looks good, but I don't know that I am patient enough.  I like to eat!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Legume said:
    @Mark_B_Good How do you inject a tenderloin - lots of small injections all over? No real pockets or space for an injection to travel.

Have you flavored the honey at all?  This made me immediately think of infusing honey with rosemary.
    Yeah, I probably put 1/5th ounce into each point (I'm assuming my needle is about 2 ounces ... and I make 8 to 10 injections with that full needle.  Probably 30 to 40 injections in total ... to get that honey spread through the meat. I do it really fast ... injection only takes me like 5 minutes to finish.

I haven't tried to infuse the honey ... that could be a great idea! You'd probably need to strain the rosemary out though, before injecting, as I imagine that would block the needle. The other idea is something in a powder form, like garlic powder ... or finely crushed herbs? Jeeze ... now you have me thinking ... Imagine chilli powder in there to give it a bit of bite!

Coincidentally, I am doing this exact meal tonight ... it's already prepped, so I will have to save the infused honey idea for the next one.  Cooking a 7.7 lb tenderloin ... can't wait.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • slick_rick
    Options
    Did this on Xmas day and it was a big hit! The flavor was great and overall not really too difficult. It was a tad spicy for some people, but my sister's Cajun mother-in-law loved it. 
    MED - Manhattan
  • mehsrea
    mehsrea Posts: 25
    Options
    Just did this for Christmas and it was awesome by all accounts. Just followed the recipe in the book (with a few of my own spice tweaks). Thought about injecting but didn’t. It didn’t need it.