Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cutting boards 30% off sale

jdMyers
jdMyers Posts: 1,336
edited November 2022 in EggHead Forum
I have posted and been searching for a butcher block style about 2 inch or slight less.  I wanted a custom edge or end grain.  I wanted drip valley around the edge but yet reversible flat on the other side.  I wanted Recessed cut out handles.  I really wanted it etched and filled but couldn't afford it.  There was a member here making them but lost touch.

I settled for this for now.   Teakhaus has a sale 30% off and free shipping.  Got a 24x18x2 for $120 At the Atlanta Grill Company.  Wife found the smaller one at home goods.  Then I found the sale site online to share.  Ignore the 3ft spaghetti.

https://teakhaus.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=17740059010&utm_content=&utm_term=&tw_source=google&tw_adid=&utm_campaign=17740059010&gclid=Cj0KCQiAj4ecBhD3ARIsAM4Q_jF2hkxPVxOPT0QZme5wK0RKwPPuTKNi2lKEkdWALMDqWLnWmT9KXL8aAsTDEALw_wcB
Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    @CTMike makes some beautiful boards.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @CTMike makes some beautiful boards.
    He most certainly does. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited November 2022
    JD-you will love the thicker boards. They don’t move under pressure.  I made my shop board 2 1/2” thick, and it’s a workhorse & heavy beast.
    The walnut boards in the house are 1 1/2” thick, and the wife uses them daily.
    Enjoy your new toy!

• jdMyers
    Beautiful 
    Columbus, Ohio
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Good finds on Craigslist as well 24x24x9

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    WeberWho said:
    JD-you will love the thicker boards. They don’t move under pressure.  I made my shop board 2 1/2” thick, and it’s a workhorse & heavy beast.
    Enjoy your new toy!

If you go too thick on a counter top cutting board it will force you to change your motion and technique while cutting. My Boos block has to be pushing 3.5 - 4" thick. It was quite the adjustment coming from a half inch cutting board. Something to be mindful for when looking at cutting boards. 

i usually use the cutting boards on the kitchen table because of this. even my boos block table is lower than the countertop
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    I just wear heels when I am prepping.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • I just wear heels when I am prepping.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    Enjoy your new toy!

Regardless of the thickness that is one beautiful board!
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • @TechsasJim …thanks.  That one was made with some scrap oak pallet lumber.  The ones in our kitchen are walnut, maple, and cherry wood.  
  • jdMyers
    Wow those look amazing 
    Columbus, Ohio
  • fishlessman
    then get a large hdpe cutting board to keep those clean =) my workhorse is 24 x36 inches 1/2 inch thick, i use it more than my 4 inch endgrain 24x48 inch rustica boos block table.
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    then get a large hdpe cutting board to keep those clean =) my workhorse is 24 x36 inches 1/2 inch thick, i use it more than my 4 inch endgrain 24x48 inch rustica boos block table.

Ditto. My workhorse boards are either HDPE or UHMW. No muss, no fuss, no oiling. Most will fit in the dishwasher if needed.
    A lot of cool looking boards on the market but so many of them have patterns that would probably give me vertigo, which is the last thing I need when chopping veg.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    HeavyG said:

Ditto. My workhorse boards are either HDPE or UHMW. No muss, no fuss, no oiling. Most will fit in the dishwasher if needed.
    A lot of cool looking boards on the market but so many of them have patterns that would probably give me vertigo, which is the last thing I need when chopping veg.
    I have a hole on one corner to tie it to a rope, nice to toss it in the river over night after cleaning and filleting fish. Quick bleach in the morning. It's a better board, just doesn't present a cheese spread well😁
    fukahwee maine

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    If I can’t fit a cutting board in the dishwasher, I don’t want it. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave