Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My attempt at Galbi off my minimax

Options
Thatgrimguy
Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
edited November 2022 in EggHead Forum
Great flavor but not tender at all. 

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Try this recipe next time:

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/la-galbi
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    use that marinade with shaved beef for tacos with cooked and raw kimchi, red onion and a rooster sauce or make steak and cheese subs.  ive never come across short ribs cut that way and thin. they do look good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    They look pretty tasty!

Did you add the pear that the recipe calls for? That's the tenderizer. They need just  a kiss of blazing heat when grilling, to get some char. They cook darn fast because of how thin the cut is.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    caliking said:
    They look pretty tasty!

Did you add the pear that the recipe calls for? That's the tenderizer. They need just  a kiss of blazing heat when grilling, to get some char. They cook darn fast because of how thin the cut is.  
    I used Maesilaek as that was an option and I figured it was more authentic and used a 1/4 of a kiwi as the tenderizer which obviously wasn't enough.

Actually as I go to look at the bottle I just realized I grabbed the wrong bottle and instead of 
    Maesilaek I put pomegranate molasses which explains a lot, lol. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    caliking said:
    They look pretty tasty!

I used Maesilaek as that was an option and I figured it was more authentic and used a 1/4 of a kiwi as the tenderizer which obviously wasn't enough.

Actually as I go to look at the bottle I just realized I grabbed the wrong bottle and instead of Maesilaek I put pomegranate molasses which explains a lot, lol. 
    That very well may have been the issue.

When a recipe calls for some kind of tenderizer, I typically lean towards using the fresh fruit itself (apple, pear, pineapple, lime juice, etc.). I'm not sure how much enzymatic activity is retained after the bottled stuff has been prepared for sale. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I'd them a KCBS Appearance score of 9
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap