Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Grates

Options
Shpping for Christmas gift for Son-in-law -
What is you thinking/opooinion/review of GrillGrates

Thank you  -  Mr Toad
See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    As replacement grill grates I think they suck. They scorch grill marks into your food while leaving pale under-developed areas between the ridges.  Stock stainless grates are 1000% better. 

As a heat deflector for the egg I think they're wonderful. 

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1230153/lightweight-alternatives-to-stone-heat-deflectors#latest
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Some people love the sharpie looking grill marks, but I agree with @SonVolt I do not like the way grill grates leaves the bulk of my meal totally pale and steamed.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 366
    Options
    When I got it for my Medium, the edges were so sharp that cleaning it was a hazard. I got rid of that thing ASAP. My opinion was that I didn't need the hazard.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I use mine as a griddle 90% of the time. Rarely use the slotted side 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    I bought a set for the small Egg.  I used them twice.  Not my thing.  I didn’t like the way they cooked or dealing with cleaning them.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    They are another grilling tool. If you cook with them at to high of a temperature they will put char lines on your food and leave the part in between looking pale. I have only used them on my XL and like them. Great for wings and I like them for slower grilling burgers. They are used by most of the completion steak cooks with great success. I think the biggest mistake is cooking with them at to high of a temp. They are different than cooking with stock grates so there is a learning curve if you really want to do it right. It’s a pretty hard split for like and don’t like on this forum.
    For cleaning, they come apart in sections so easy to soak if you want to throughly clean them. I normally just leave them on the grill when I shut it down to burn off most of the drippings and the rest flakes off during start up for my next cook.
    Search YouTube for some cooking videos or links on their site.
    Watch a few videos done by people who know how to use them and decide from what you see.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    If you are in SCA comps, EVERYONE uses them.  I use them for all my steak cooks with great results.  Facebook has a good Grill Grates group if you want to see some awesome cook pics.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Wish they weren’t so DAMN EXPENSIVE. I have them for my rigs. My best friend has an Alfresco grill that flares uncontrollably. The grill grates for him are over $400. Crazy…
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Wish they weren’t so DAMN EXPENSIVE. I have them for my rigs. My best friend has an Alfresco grill that flares uncontrollably. The grill grates for him are over $400. Crazy…
    Ouch
    Been lucky to catch their yearly clearance sales.
    They also make a thicker commercial series but the price is even higher.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options

I've got an Aflresco grill also. For fatty steaks like Ribeye you gotta keep the steak moving or you will get flareups. If I need to sear on a gasser I'll set a baking steel on top of the grates. No flareups, better sear.  
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    They are doing a Black Friday sale at 25% off right now.  I bought a set of 3-15” panels w/spatula tool at my local dealer for $50.  Much less than on line prices.  The custom sets are overpriced.
  • AprèsSki
    Options
    I use them on my gasser, great for burgers. Haven't seen a need on my eggs.
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I only cook fish on the grill side as the spatula makes a really nice way to work with fish without having scrape it off a grate. I do use the griddle side for smash burgers. I’ve never tried steak or chicken on them and never will. Not the way I like to grill that kind of stuff. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I love mine.  Those that get "Sharpie" lines, and pale meat are not doing it right.  Mine don't do that.

That steak isn't "pale" in between the grill marks.  But, whatever.

Here's a lot of other cooks I have done with them.  I am not a pro-photog, and this was all very good food!

And, of course, if you flip them over, you can make great smash burgers, etc.

You still gotta regulate your egg.  If you want something (or someone) else to get your steak to the correct temperature, go to a restaurant.

They work as advertised in my opinion.

Your son-in-law will LOVE them!  Buy them!  If he makes a steak with sharpie lines and pale in the middle, tell him he isn't good enough for your daughter!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    My Grill Grates have taken up residence in my gas grill. I use them on the griddle side. I use them for burgers. I preheat the grill on high for 30 minutes before making the burgers. The Grill Grates do a good job on the burgers creating a nice even crust. After I finish the burgers return the heat to high and close the lid to burn off the grates. I try to burn them off for 30 minutes on high- but I have on occasion forgot to turn the grill off and found it still on the next day. In this case everything is extremely clean.