Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rick Bayless pops his BGE cherrry

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,471
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vRYVrQZLRo

Kinda fun to see his first experience with his Large.  FWIW.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Recipe looks worth trying too!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Silly Rick; you don’t need no water in that pan!

Though I must say, the water does help keep the drippings from smoking.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    He added salt to the adobo twice.  Once on the plate, once when he was using his measuring spoons.  

Probably not a big deal on a pork butt rub.  But, it triggered me.

I don't know what it is about him, but I always feel like he should be on the evening news.  I always feel like Lester Holt is showing me how to cook.  I respect his skills, that's a "me" problem.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Silly Rick; you don’t need no water in that pan!

Though I must say, the water does help keep the drippings from smoking.
    Total rookie move!

But yeah, you’re right about the drippings.  I add a bit of water to the pan for precisely that reason.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Langner91 said:

I don't know what it is about him, but I always feel like he should be on the evening news.  I always feel like Lester Holt is showing me how to cook.  I respect his skills, that's a "me" problem.
    That’s funny I’ve always thought he should be co-hosting a sports talk show on ESPN… 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    the pork looked a little dry to me. But that adobo sounds wonderful!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Hard to tell if it was dry b/c he didn't take it all the way up to 205F+. Without that rendered collagen sheen it may not appear as moist as traditional pulled pork. I bet it was delicious. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Welcome to the Green side Rick. We smoke with liquids in the drip pan most of the time, with great results. Rick looks like he may have overcooked that pork.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Maybe he can try it again with a fattier Boston Butt? The rest of it sounds good but maybe coming k it lower and slower.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Welcome to the Green side Rick. We smoke with liquids in the drip pan most of the time, with great results. Rick looks like he may have overcooked that pork.
    or undercooked if he wanted to pull but zero chance it was right after 6 hours ha ha. Good to see you smitty. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX