Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Committed A Mortal Sin - How Best To Atone?

Options
Left it outside overnight while in a brown water induced haze. 

What’s the best method to bring back to serviceable condition?
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    Six cornbreads, two cobblers and a roast chicken.
    Bless you, father. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    My best guess would be to steel wool rust areas and reseason
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    at least the pan went sideways under similar conditions.   

Steel wool or a course scouring pad is your friend.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Coarse
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Left it outside overnight while in a brown water induced haze. 

What’s the best method to bring back to serviceable condition?
    Does it have any heritage ID? If so just send it to me for proper disposal (hehehe)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I see an excuse for a blasting cabinet. I'm just saying... 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    Maybe a cutting board raffle?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Honestly, if it's just a lodge pan or some other mass production pan, I would not put much effort into it vs replacing it. Just rough sand or heavy duty wire wheel, oil it back up and re-season it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Rub down with oil. Fixed. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I would just I would just wash it and oil it up. That rust should just wipe right off. Use one of those chain things if you have it, if not a plastic scrubber and warm it up a bit to make sure the water is all gone 
    post your results
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Get some course kosher salt in there to act as an abrasive and wash it well then reseason and roll
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I had one rusted and just hit it with an orbital sander with first 60 grit then 150 grit and it turned out smoother than before and looks great

I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Agree with all of the casual reseasoning responses above.  My camping ci is prone to rust, I use it over campfires, I use it in my pizza oven hotter than I should, etc.  It gets abused and I get rust. I don’t put it away rusty, so it’s never there for very long and I don’t try to maintain a glass like finish on it either, so I scrub the rust, oil, heat it up a bit and put it away.  Some is cheap Walmart ci and some is lodge.  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    My cs wok sits upsidown over my big burner. Takes a few minutes scraping and reoiling. Oil and wipe a few times  while hot for white foods til the paper towel looks clean. Same with a frypan.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options

Just being left out overnight that rust is not much more than flash rust. A simple scrubbing pad and some elbow grease then rinse/dry/oil/use is all I'd bother with.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    The pan is an easy fix. When I read the title I thought you might have purchased a propane grill. It's hard to recover from that.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Just surface rust. Will clean up like new with soapy water and a Scotchbrite pad.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I've cooked on worse.  Get 'er hot and cook something with lots of fat (bacon).  
    Clinton, Iowa