Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opinions. Ribs vs appearance not doneness

Options
Cooking Ribs had me evaluating.  Not referring to doneness as in fall off the bone.  Or they can fold without tearing.  Or slight Give and pull to remove the bone. Ignore this part of ribs.

None of those factors.  Simply the look or appearance of ribs whole or cut after the cook.  Different techniques can produce light colors and same doneness.  

Examples.  Some prefer them molasses dark.  Some prefer them more subtle red in appearance.  What's your thoughts and why?

Not my photo but excellent example.  3 racks.  Same cook.  Left much more pronounced than the right.  Which is more accepted or better from your thoughts and why?  I'm also a JB fan so no negative thoughts here....

Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    From the first picture, I’d choose right, center then left. Just on appearance.    
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Me too.  But a lot of people near me that has southern roots would say them ain't done.  Interesting where this will go.  Thanks.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    I’ll take the baby backs, those look right to my taste.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Top photo looks like bark vs glaze.  I'd much prefer the left rack, I could add sauce at the table if they weren't seasoned well.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I trust my Thermapen to,tell me that the meat between the bones is 140 degrees…the heck with that James Brown pix comparison! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I don't rely on anything more than a toothpick to determine doneness when it comes to ribs. I also tend to take them a little longer than the top photo for sure.
    Stillwater, MN
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    ribs are done at @203 IT.  Come on Ron! 😁Safe to eat at 140 but less than pleasant. 

Just like with every cook, temp them. Use a thermapen or similar and you get a toothpick test free with every temp you probe. 
  • jdMyers
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Lol.  Again I'm not asking about doneness. Everyone has a method.  Toothpick, thermopen, fold, pull out the bones, 3.2.1. That part I get.

But if I laid a rack of ribs in front of you what do you expect it to look like to be considered perfect?  I'm curious from around the regions.   

Example again. This is made up. but all three of these pictures.  Ribs are up to temp and fall off the bone.  They all bend without tearing. All pass a tooth pick test.  Show me examples of what your ribs look like when perfect.  Appearance wise.

Columbus, Ohio
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I would view the color as simply the amount of sugar in the rub/glaze.  Sometimes it is dark, sometimes light.  I just want to see some moisture on the surface, and some color, not all black.

Clinton, Iowa
  • jdMyers
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Thanks.  I know sauce plays a role.  But it's from a discussion I had.  From a cooks perspective.   Just curious from different regions.  Competition cooks ribs never seem dark.  
    Columbus, Ohio
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    i’d go with the one on the left and add a bit more sauce!

Options
    i cooked a butt once that turned out white like the last cook.   never had one stay white in an egg ever again.  black butt is more desirable......

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    A vote here for the ribs with the darker appearance.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    Left for sure. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Is it just me, or does anyone else not like fall off the bone and or lots of sauce?
    For me its the paler ones
  • TideEggHead
    Options
    I like some color but not all black, that is not a deal breaker though. As long as the taste/texture is where I want it, I am good to go.
    LBGE
    AL
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I much prefer a dark rib, with rub only.  I enjoy the bark/texture better than a wet glazed rib…photo below as an example of what I like to eat  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• jdMyers
    Options
    ryantt said:
    I much prefer a dark rib, with rub only.  I enjoy the bark/texture better than a wet glazed rib…photo below as an example of what I like to eat  
    Is your darkness from a result of time/heat or sugar content in the rub?
    Columbus, Ohio
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I like a Mahogany Color that you get from quality smoke.....Heavy Rubs tend to block that natural color, and the sugars tend to darken if cooked at higher temps....Caramelizing Sugar around 320 to Burnt @ 350....Iprefer no sugar, but that's just me 

these are just SPG color from Oak Wood ..light glaze when done 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    ^^^^^Agreed^^^^^^
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    NOW.
    I
    WANT
    RIBS!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @jdMyers the color is a result of the time/temp/brown sugar in the rub. We have reduced the sugar content over the years and haven’t seen much change in color or texture; however I find it hard to believe it isn’t a contributing factor.   I’ll list our basic pork rub below.  It’s nothing all that different from commercially available stuff; however, we like to tinker with it in the kitchen together.    

We cook ribs 275-300 

We list all measurement in parts (typically make it using a cup as a whole part) 

1part kosher salt 
    1 part 16 mesh pepper 
    1/2 part ancho chili powder 
    1/2 part smoked paprika 
    1/4part dark brown sugar
    1/4 part garlic powder 
    1/4 part onion powder 
    1/4 part Worcestershire powder 
    1/8 part mustard powder 

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• jdMyers
    Options
    Looks amazing 
    Columbus, Ohio
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Color does not matter to me     But like dry and almost fall off the bone.   Can add sauce as wanted to eat
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    I like them dry rubbed no sauce no wrap, rest of the people in the house like the sauced and foiled.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Hiw long did these take?  What temp curious
    Columbus, Ohio
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited September 2022
    Options
    @pgprescott - Incredible ribs. Incredible.

Would you please share your technique for your "sorta jam"?
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.