Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alternative for 321 ribs

Options
Does anyone have a solid rib technique that isn’t 3-2-1? I’ve been doing it that way since I started smoking and kind of want to try and different method. Any suggestions for turbo rib method 300 degrees or so? 

Best Answer

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Answer ✓
    Options
    rekameohs said:
    lkapigian said:
    Cut the ribs into singles or doubles, gets you a nice bark all the way around, quicker cook and delicious 
    I was thinking of doing this in the JoeTisserie, but was concerned they would get beaten to death.   Anyone tried this?
    Never have but probably no worse than chicken wings 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian

Answers

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    No turbo info here as that cuts into adult supervisory beverage time as you know:
    Let me offer the following as a means to experiment and likely no new info but...:
    All rib cooks are some variation around X-0-0 which translates into the following: Basically ribs are cooked as usual (bone side down for me) for the first X hours. Then they are removed from the cooker and wrapped with liquid (Q sauce, some other liquid for flavoring etc) in a foil pouch with the meat side down. This becomes step -0- mentioned above. The sealed ribs are then returned to the cooker.  At the end of the "0" time-frame, the ribs are removed from the foil and then put back on the BGE for the final "0" time-frame.  This is when sauce is added if your desire.  X-X-X defines the cook cycle.  Those of us X-0-0 run without any of the above extras.  It's all in what you like  

And to determine when they are finished-the bend test if you have full racks-pick them up on one end and if they bend around 90* they are finished.  Another method-use a toothpick and insert in the thickest meat-in and out with no resistance and finished. Also look for a good meat pull-back on the bones.  Big fan of the toothpick for the win. 

For the record- I will expend maximum effort in the protein and fire prep stage but once underway, as much hands off as I can manage.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Cut the ribs into singles or doubles, gets you a nice bark all the way around, quicker cook and delicious 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Wooderson
    Options
    350, raised,  I go indirect,  140 minutes.  Done.  Eat those bad boys
  • Scguy1869
    Options
    Turbo is the way to do it 
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    I've had great results with season and place in a rib rack 275 ish till done.  
    Columbus, Ohio
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    I go X-0-0 til done for all beef and spare ribs.  Baby backs will benefit from populating the zeros.  Being somewhat lazy, that is why I stay away from them.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    Yes, my technique is 2.5, 1.5, 0.5 ... no joke.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Mine is 2,.5,.75 @250-275

wrapped too long makes for fall off the bone. My crowd prefers some bite 
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Is this a joke?
  • lkapigian
    edited September 2022
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    lkapigian said:
    Is this a joke?
    Not at all, trust me ...These are Greek/Armenian 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i like raised direct 220 dome if im actually present to cook it that way which i never am. increase the distance by lowering the lump quantity, a direct cook at 220 doesnt use much lump at all and you want to maximize the distance to the fire. there is no foil stage
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The type of rib is a big factor. Baby backs are way leaner and will overcook in a wrap very quickly. The spares and Stl cut lend themselves to a wrap much better. I never leave mine in a wrap more than an hour. I’m like 2.5/.75/.25. Prefer to cook Stl cut. 
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    Same as @pgprescott sometimes I have to go 1 hour in foil if the ribs are thicker.  Shoot for 260-275 to ensure fat is rendered properly.
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • rekameohs
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I was thinking of doing this in the JoeTisserie, but was concerned they would get beaten to death.   Anyone tried this?
    Raleigh, NC
  • lkapigian
    Options
    @RyanStl See, No Joke ...Bradley must have seen this thread LoL 

https://youtu.be/nKuwxFXKoyo

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian