Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Running :OT

Options
ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
I’m trying to have less of a BBQ body than last year… down 50lbs so far and want to start running again….it’s been a few decades.   Any suggestions on a good running program for a fat guy starting? 

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Go swimming instead.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    May I ask how old you are?

The reason I ask is I was an off again, on again runner most of my adult life.

When I turned 45, I decided I wanted to "get serious" about running.

So, I signed up for a Half marathon six months out and started training for it. I was running about 8-10 miles a week. Then 10-14 a week, then 15-20 miles a week, then 20-25 miles a week. You get the idea. 

I ran half's, 10ks, 6ks, 5ks, whatever. This was all on the streets and lakefront path in Chicago. All while running 20-25 miles a week.

I now have a new left knee and will need the right totally replaced within the next 12-18 months.

I've also had 3 meniscus surgeries. I'm 62.

So, my advice, get a bike. I can't run any longer so that's what I do at Orange Theory 4 days a week.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I forgot to add that I commend you on your decision to lose weight and I wish you continued success on your journey.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    Yeah man, losing 50 lbs is no joke.  Way to go.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    I ran 10-12 miles every week since Jr. High, but had to stop for 2 years when I worked at Thiokol (3-hr commute daily).  I began running again in earnest when I took at job at Hill AFB, and within 2 months couldn't walk anymore, plantar fasciitis.   Took two years of therapy before I could walk without pain, so I don't dare try running again.

My only suggestion is to get shoes at a dedicated runner's store, with computerized pads you stand on to get fitted with the right shoes.  Don't go to Wallieworld and buy a pair of skechers off the shelf.  Good luck, and Congrats on the first 50!    

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Full marks @ryantt for the weight loss. Stay the course. The only program I offer is the mental piece as addressed below.  
    Taking a different approach here, you were running before, life got in the way and priorities changed then.  If you roll back into it again, be clear about what caused you to roll out decades ago.  Then assess what in that regard has changed to support this latest drive.
    Coming from one who dropped a lot of weight in my early thirties and got serious about running (to the tune of 340+ days/year at a minimum of 3+ miles/day once a land-lubber for many years, including two marathons (always had to beat the opening time))  and stayed with it til genetic arthritis won the day some 30 years on.   
    I found it to be a great mind clearing event and my target run time was always during the lunch hour.  
    I could go on about how much I miss that capability but will stop now.  
    Feel free to PM me if I can offer more.
    Since I'm here-
    My best to CNG.  I'm sure she is maturing at a pace that is a true challenge.  But you and you wife have done a great job of supporting and nurturing her cheffing prowess. She is a forum inspiration. We are all better for it.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Amen with @Botch and the shoes.  That is the critical piece of the puzzle.  
    When I was rocking it I was logging a solid 40+ miles a week and sustained that while on a treadmill underway.  Submarines are remarkably stable when deep.   B)  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ryantt
    Options
    @dmchicago I am now 41band have set a small goal of running the Christmas Story 5k currently only able to run 1.2 miles.  

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    When I was rocking it I was logging a solid 40+ miles a week and sustained that while on a treadmill underway.  Submarines are remarkably stable when deep.   B)  
    I had no idea there were treadmills on subs; I thought you guys had to be really quiet, and pad around in your bunny slippers....

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    ryantt said:
    @dmchicago I am now 41band have set a small goal of running the Christmas Story 5k currently only able to run 1.2 miles.  
    The Couch to 5k app is perfect for this. Still, get the good shoes. Like $200 shoes and  insoles. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ryantt
    Options
    @Botch got fitted for shoes last week and that did make a difference.   I am not experiencing the shin pain I had before.  Who knew…. 

@lousubcap I stopped running bc I was working tons and didn’t find it to be “fun”. Now I am trying to get back to running a few miles at a time 3-5 days a week.  It’s very therapeutic for me to get out and just pound the pavement or local trails.  

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Botch - everything was sound isolated and we always used high tech bunny slippers when on the treadmill.  Some how we made it work.   :D
  • ryantt
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker downloaded and looking forward to trying it out.  Thanks for the recommendation 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Sorry my bad…when I saw the thread title I thought it has something to do with JIC’s avatar  ;)
    edit: triple OT played a part in my thinking too  B)
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    Sorry my bad…when I saw the thread title I thought it has something to do with JIC’s avatar  ;)
    edit: triple OT played a part in my thinking too  B)
    LOL Gary
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,297
    Options
    Is a stolen generator involved?
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Is a stolen generator involved?
    Close, stolen election (apology to op)

canuckland
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    edited July 2022
    Options
    ryantt said:
    I’m trying to have less of a BBQ body than last year… down 50lbs so far and want to start running again….it’s been a few decades.   Any suggestions on a good running program for a fat guy starting? 

You'll get all of the benefits and none of the injuries by walking instead. I'm not talking about a nice stroll with the dog, I mean working hard enough to sweat and wondering how long you can keep up that pace. You should be able to get down to a 12-13 minute mile with just a normal gate; once that is no longer difficult look up 'racewalking'. Some weird looking Pinocchio steps will have you down in the single digits. Used to be a guy named Dave McGovern that did racewalking clinics around the country. They are worth the price of admission.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories