Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Ribs But what kind

Options
I did search the forum but could not find an explanation of which Pork Rib I am looking for.  You know how some ribs are smaller and its just the rib and meat, and then some ribs are the rib the meat and this extra part at the end that is sort of grissley.  Im looking for the ones without that?  Any one know what that is called?  Baby Back? St Louis? Spare?  Thank you

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    You want St. Louis which are spare ribs with the tips trimmed off
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    This might be helpful.

https://www.smokedbbqsource.com/baby-back-vs-spare-ribs/#:~:text=Baby backs come from the,Go for baby backs.

You probably want either baby backs (or back ribs) or St. Louis cut ribs - but not spares.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SmokeyLosAngeles
    Options
    Thanks everyone.  I bought Baby back ribs as they looked like the least work in trimming.  And they looked really good.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Just pull the membrane before cooking.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    edited July 2022
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Just pull the membrane before cooking.
    A couple things I figured out over the years about pulling the membrane:
    - Room-temp ribs, the membrane pulls off much easier; pull them out of the frig an hour ahead of time
    - Don't try to slide a butter knife in between the membrane, and the meat in between the bones; instead, keep the knife directly over a central bone
    - Once the separation is started, don't try to continue to slide the knife forward, against the bone.  Instead, push the handle downward, prying the membrane upward, away from the bone; slide forward, and repeat.  
    - I try to start in the middle of the membrane, so I can just wrap my fingers around the fully-loosened center section, and pull the rest off from both ends.  This doesn't work most of the time, so have a paper towel close by to grip the remainder (a dedicated pair of pliers doesn't work).  
    - About one out of a dozen racks of ribs are Born Evil.  You won't be able to pull the membrane, it'll continue to tear, or come off in postage-stamp sized pieces.  I don't fight the Born Evil ribs anymore, just cook 'em with the membrane on, it's not the end of the world.  

EDIT:  And, thanks to the video that @Langner91 posted above, I learned one more thing!   :)   

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SmokeyLosAngeles
    Options

Botch said:

- About one out of a dozen racks of ribs are Born Evil.  You won't be able to pull the membrane, it'll continue to tear, or come off in postage-stamp sized pieces.  I don't fight the Born Evil ribs anymore, just cook 'em with the membrane on, it's not the end of the world.  

Thank you for this info.  I saw on a video some people score the membrane.  perhaps that would be good in this situation.  
  • SmokeyLosAngeles
    Options
    The ribs pork ribs are in the top left (no salt) and the bottom left with salt.  The bottom right is a tritip I made incase the ribs did not come out and the top right was two small beef ribs my wife bought becuase she thought I would like them.  ALL OF IT WAS GREAT 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    That's all kinds of wins there.  Great cook and post.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Scguy1869
    Scguy1869 Posts: 9
    Options
    Try turbo sometime! 350 - no wrap , 1 hour 40 min
  • SmokeyLosAngeles
    Options
    Scguy1869 said:
    Try turbo sometime! 350 - no wrap , 1 hour 40 min
    Those look great.  Does the meat fall off the bone like the low and slow?
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Baby backs all the way....and instead of 321 at 250 try 4 2 1 at 220.

Sublime
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Spares are cheaper than baby back. Just do what ColtsFan said in second post. The cut off parts also smoke real nice
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i get the smallest packs of st louis i can find, like them alot better than babybacks. theres still a strip. papertowel to remove the membrane, after a few racks you pick up the technique, quickestway for me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Options
    Wanna see all ribs cut from carcass and trimmed by expert butcher?  See the Bearded Butchers video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nChuBZHquf8 
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    I much prefer baby backs, but Memphis is a baby back town…
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis