Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon Price Gouging

Options
13»

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I don’t know about the rest of you guys, but all this talk of bourbon prices is making me want to go to the local repository and investigate for myself.  Seems timely in advance of the long weekend.
    What better way to drown your sorrows about rising bourbon prices than to drink?  They got you.
    Right?  Fock!
    When they lower the prices again. . .there will be cause for celebration!  Drink!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,946
    Options

First time trying the Conviction.  The Sagamore was $35 and the Conviction was $45.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    The gubmint just needs to tap the bourbon strategic reserve.   B)
    Related, Some numbers of bourbon barrels aging in the distilleries rickhouses.  
    1968 8.7 M+  The high point until 2019.
    So, 51 years of playing second fiddle to the clear spirits as that number was not topped til 2019 with 9.1M+ barrels.
    2021 yielded 10.3M+.

Of course it takes time (measured in years) to age a quality bourbon while the clears have a life cycle of months.
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
    Enjoy the weekend and focus on Monday, the day that allows all the rest to be enjoyed!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Of course it takes time (measured in years) to age a quality bourbon while the clears have a life cycle of months.
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
    Enjoy the weekend and focus on Monday, the day that allows all the rest to be enjoyed!
    Time or frequency….ultrasonic frequency speeds up the time.  Or so I seem to have remembered.
    Options
    Picked this up for $47.  Heard decent things, trying to expand my horizons.

Good bottle. Enjoy the pour
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Picked this up for $47.  Heard decent things, trying to expand my horizons.

That’s a good one and the right price.    
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Does anyone ever compare wine cost / serving to bourbon?  If a $10 bottle of wine is four servings then each glass is $2.50.  Depending on the size of your bourbon pour if you get 15 pours that’s just under $40 at $2.50/pour.  So while I think chasing msrp is the goal, it is actually expected that some of these really good $25 bottles go up a bit. It takes about the same amount of effort and drinking through some so-so product to find really good $7 wines and $25 bourbons.  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    It takes about the same amount of effort and drinking through some so-so product to find really good $7 wines and $25 bourbons.  
    And then when you find that really good item, Wine Spectator figures it out, blabs, and suddenly my $7 Australian Shiraz is now $15.   :s 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• JohnfromKentucky
    Options

Ok unicorn hunters what 5 would you go for?  They sell at msrp which is not listed. 
    Guess they fired the proof-reader :smiley: 

Old Carter #11
    Heaven Hill collection
    Elijah Craig Barrel proof
    Elijah Craig 18 year old
    Larceny barrel proof
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

Ok unicorn hunters what 5 would you go for?  They sell at msrp which is not listed. 
    Old carter
    heaven hill
    elijah Craig BP
    elijah Craig 18
    EC toasted.