Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Papa Murphy's - A suggestion

Options
We really like doing Papa Murphy's pizza on the BGE, and generally do it successfully.  However, I have learned through observation and a few less than stellar experiences to not order the pizza any earlier than you have to.  The reason is that the longer the pizza sits around, the more time available for the tomato paste water to migrate into the crust and make it soggy.  This makes it easier for the. wet crust to stick to the baking stone.  I think what happens is if you order your. pizza mid-afternoon for an evening pickup, they make it right away since mid-afternoon is their slow time.  So wait till the last minute to order your pizza.  (obviously, we order online and then have to drive to town for pickup)

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    So… ordering many years in advance generally wouldn’t be a great idea?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,473
    Options
    I'm surprised your pie is sticking to a baking stone; are you preheating the stone for 30 minutes or so first?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Hmmm, I never take my Papa Murphy raw pizza out of that oven proof baking material they come in. Granted after 12 to 14 minutes I will slip my metal pizza peel under the pizza to separate it from that baking material so that it can brown up better on the pizza stone for 3 of 4 minutes. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WoodworkerBED
    Options
    Yes, I. always heat the stone up to target temperature 30+ minutes in advance and I also start the pizza on the slip sheet for 10 minutes and finish directly on the stone.   I use corn starch liberally on both the stone & the peel.  Maybe all Papa Murphy's are not created equally.   Bruce
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    Yes, I. always heat the stone up to target temperature 30+ minutes in advance and I also start the pizza on the slip sheet for 10 minutes and finish directly on the stone.   I use corn starch liberally on both the stone & the peel.  Maybe all Papa Murphy's are not created equally.   Bruce

do you have a infrared temp gun? It would be nice to know the temp of your stone.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RRP
    Options
    Your term of "slip sheet" puzzles me. My PM pizzas are always made on an embossed cardboard-like coated material "pizza pan" as it is even called in the baking instruction sheet. Could your PM franchisee  be a rouge businessman using that "slip sheet" and not wanting to buy those PM pizza pans? I mean they are even embossed with the name Papa Murphy clear across the "pan". That might also be why I have never that problem you describe of  tomato paste water to migrate into the crust and make it soggy. And BTW I typically buy my PM pizzas 6 to 7 hours before I bake them plus the fact after I take delivery my trip home is another 30 minutes merely resting on the back seat of my car - then into my refrigerator for the next 6 to 7 hours.
  • WoodworkerBED
    Options
    I used the term slipsheet loosely.  I get the pizza on the same material you described.
  • RRP
    Options
    But then you remove the raw pizza from that before baking it? 
  • WoodworkerBED
    Options
    Please review m previous comments.
  • BuckeyeFork
    BuckeyeFork Posts: 191
    Options
    Same is going to be true for TV dinners.  If you get them out too soon and they defrost, the cherry cobbler gets soggy, that’s what my father always did, mom never liked it much though on account of her cherry allergies.  I never know if I should put the fried chicken right on the grate or leave it in the foil tray.  You have to leave the Salisbury steak in the tray or the gravy falls through the grate and don’t get me started on the corn.

Ybabpmuts
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    There is no way we can have 2 Papa Murphy’s threads go sideways in 2 weeks. 

I feel like we are crossing the streams here. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Someone forgot to switch their troll accounts back.....

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    There is no way we can have 2 Papa Murphy’s threads go sideways in 2 weeks. 

I feel like we are crossing the streams here. 

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I agree @The Cen-Tex Smoker

In the history of the forum(s) has there even been one?  And now two?  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited June 2022
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I agree @The Cen-Tex Smoker

In the history of the forum(s) has there even been one?  And now two?  
    A Papa Murphy’s thread… divided against itself… cannot stand.  
  • kl8ton
    Options
    When two worlds collide.  . . 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,473
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Someone forgot to switch their troll accounts back.....

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• kl8ton
    Options
    Love it @botch

Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,046
    edited June 2022
    Options
     I wonder if BBQ messes with peoples heads or people with messed up heads gravitate to BBQ.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
     I wonder if BBQ messes with peoples heads or people with messed up heads gravitate to BBQ.
    Why can’t it be both?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Mark Zuckerberg also has a BGE, so we might be on to something here…

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    Same is going to be true for TV dinners.  If you get them out too soon and they defrost, the cherry cobbler gets soggy, that’s what my father always did, mom never liked it much though on account of her cherry allergies.  I never know if I should put the fried chicken right on the grate or leave it in the foil tray.  You have to leave the Salisbury steak in the tray or the gravy falls through the grate and don’t get me started on the corn.

Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts- Carey…need to log off one troll account before you post on another account… with same signature.  I understand it difficult when you have so many troll accounts to manage😀😂🤣
  • RRP
    edited June 2022
    Options

Ybabpmuts- Carey…need to log off one troll account before you post on another account… with same signature.  I understand it difficult when you have so many troll accounts to manage😀😂🤣
    Trust me…this poster is NOT a troll and IS NOT Carey!

He has a been a long term WITTY poster who started on the original BGE as @StumpBaby. He has as issues trying to be able to post on this company forum.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    Is it me, or were there a hundred papa murphy posts started/posted yesterday??? Holy smokes.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    It is you.  Almost all of them are from the past 10 years.  Great reading!  Some real legendary names.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    this place is amazing. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    this place is amazing. 
    Whatever, Nola.  
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    It is you.  Almost all of them are from the past 10 years.  Great reading!  Some real legendary names.

Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!