Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Any NYC or Brooklyn live fire cooking restaurant recommendations-OT

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,381
Headed there in early September (2-4).  Would appreciate any recommendations as noted in the title.
Beyond that would also like your favorite Italian place.  
If you have a "must try" that is not in the above, please offer it up as well.  
Thanks for any suggestions.  
BTW-the search function here did not yield a whole lot and Google couldn't differentiate between live fire and wood fired ovens.   B)
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Following. Headed there a few weeks after you for our 30th anniversary trip. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You could try APL’s bbq place Daisy Mae BBQ. Just found an awesome review on Trip Advisor:

We tried the brisket, pulled pork, wet and dry ribs and four sides. Of the things we tried the diet cokes were the best”.

I’m pretty sure Justin Timberlake is a partner or something a bbq joint (Southern Hospitality) and they brought in none other than Dr. BBQ as consultant to make sure things were up to snuff. 

Just saw it closed so we are back to square 1

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    No personal experience but have heard positive things from friends in the past - https://www.peasantnyc.com/

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HighHeat
    HighHeat Posts: 218
    Options
    Good luck and be safe.  DiBlasio totally destroyed America's greatest city.
    Memphis, TN
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    HighHeat said:
    Obvious troll is obvious.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HighHeat
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Sorry for getting a little sideways to start, but here's a great no the best pizza in Brooklyn.

Memphis, TN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    HighHeat said:

Options
    To amplify- the live fire is a place that cooks on a rig(s) like a Santa Maria grill or other full oxygen fire.  A Francis Mallmann wanna be had one going but is now closed.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Frank-doesn’t sound good to use the phrase “live fire” and NYC/Brooklyn in the same sentence.  Just kidding buddy!  Have a good time in the city and hope you get some great food!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Ron is innocent here- 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Ah, the edit!
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Ah, the edit!
    Frank-my bad.  Was “multi-tasking” on another forum (Snipers Hide), to ship a rifle to Ron tomorrow. Have a great time in NYC.
  • HighHeat
    Options
    HighHeat said:

Rudy may be bat$hit crazy now, but he had NYC rockin' and rollin' when he was in charge.
    Memphis, TN
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @HighHeat - Will agree with that.  Then somewhere he went off the rails.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HighHeat said:
    HighHeat said:

Rudy may be bat$hit crazy now, but he had NYC rockin' and rollin' when he was in charge.
    Most major American cities were rockin' and rollin' from 1994-2001.  That was dot-comm boom times man.  Rudy wasn't exactly some kind of wizard.  
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Our last trip to NYC last October we had a solid pre-theatre meal at Barolo East on E 49th.  If you’re not in midtow I wouldn’t go seeking it out, but it was much better and reasonably priced than anything near Times Square needs to be.

Asian Shanghai Manor is always a place we stop, my daughter could live on their soup dumplings.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• slick_rick
    slick_rick Posts: 55
    Options
    Hi Lou - In terms of live fire cooking Peasant is supposed to be great and Ci Siamo is a new place that is getting a ton of buzz (may be tough to get a reservation).

For other recs - Italian - https://www.campagnola-nyc.com/ is an awesome old school Italian joint in my neighborhood that is always a hit with visitors. 

Some of my other favorite places are https://www.cervosnyc.com/ - awesome seafood and https://www.nowonnyc.com/ for Korean fusion food and cool vibe.

Some places take reservations, but if you cant get one most places take walk ups where you can put your name in and they will say 2 hours, but it usually is never that long and you can go to bar nearby for a few pre dinner drinks and they'll text you when the table is ready.

I live in the city, so feel free to shoot me a message if you have any more questions. 
    MED - Manhattan
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @lousubcap - I've been wanting to go to this place. 

https://www.lucalibrooklyn.com/

Featured on Dave Chang's Ugly Delicious some time ago. Read up about Mark Iacono's story. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    caliking said:

Featured on Dave Chang's Ugly Delicious some time ago. Read up about Mark Iacono's story. 
    @caliking Tried to get there when last in NYC in 2018.  Showed up at around 4 pm (opens at 5) and was told Aaron Franklin type wait; likely 4+ hours.  Bailed.
    Given all the options in the City the time spend is serious.  Am reconsidering but need to better lay out the mosaic for this one.  
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @slick_rick - Wow.  I have some research to do.  Great info right there.  Thanks for that.  Much appreciated.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    caliking said:

@caliking Tried to get there when last in NYC in 2018.  Showed up at around 4 pm (opens at 5) and was told Aaron Franklin type wait; likely 4+ hours.  Bailed.
    Given all the options in the City the time spend is serious.  Am reconsidering but need to better lay out the mosaic for this one.  
    This was my experience the last time I was in Brooklyn as well.  Went to Lucali, was told of a several-hour wait, and so we bailed.  We went to some place just down the street that had no wait and had an excellent meal (I do not remember the name, sorry).  
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    Looking forward to your reviews, I suspect Burger King is not on the menu, even though they cook over a flame?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    never been impressed with upscale high end italian places, i usually look where the old italians eat.  pretty sure i ate with the mafia back in the 80's. to get in , it was through a bakery, down a hall thru a pizza type kitchen, thru another door into a small restaurant where folks were eating with guys wearing suits standing each side of the table. to leave it was out the back next to a dumpster in an alley, two more suits. no exterior door knob. it was way after hours. a block and a half from the gardens in boston. best italian food ive ever eaten. go with the flow.......nyc its the little guinness bars for me. did eat  in an italian place on lower south side seaport area back in the 80's, it may have changed but the overwhelming male population seemed a bit much......
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I deferred to my oldest son (travel companion while wife and two daughters with grandma visit friends in Dallas (the initiating trip that opened the NYC option)) and he and wife have spent some time in Scandinavia.
    So, he wanted something "we ain't gonna eat that around here" cuisine.
    The top dead center eats are at a place called Aquavit ( quite a unique liquor, as well) opening night in the city.  Bottom feeding (other than nailing pizza) after that.  It should be quite a dining experience.  
  • lousubcap
    edited August 2022
    Options
    In search of any good pizza places the collective here has to offer in NYC-(Lucali's is out due to Franklin like wait time).  
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @lousubcap

Sounds like a great trip; no doubt heightened by enjoying it with one of your own. Colour me jealous. 

For the record, aquavit is a staple in my wife’s family. Her father travelled to Norway years ago (I still hear stories of the exorbitant prices, even though he was there long ago) and still enjoys the stuff to reminisce, I suppose. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations - for the past few weeks I have been reacquainting myself and son with aquavit.  Depending on the Scandinavian country, the consumption style is different (freezer kept or room temp is the big variable I have sorted out).    I was introduced to it around 40+ years ago from a Danish family.  The dinner is not for the juice but the totally one off quisine.  From a prior post-
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,294
    edited August 2022
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @GrateEggspectations - for the past few weeks I have been reacquainting myself and son with aquavit.  Depending on the Scandinavian country, the consumption style is different (freezer kept or room temp is the big variable I have sorted out).    I was introduced to it around 40+ years ago from a Danish family.  The dinner is not for the juice but the totally one off quisine.  From a prior post-
    Please enjoy a pickled herring smorrebrod or lutefisk for me (and two fingers of aquavit - I hope it goes without saying). 
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,863
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Hawksmoor is certainly one of the best in London.
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay