Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Cost per lb of an XL

Interesting approach to selling premium kamado cookers... 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I’ve always thought that brown scaled thing looked like a 2 peckered, 4 legged dragon that would cause a person serious nightmares! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I guess it would be a better comparison against the BGE XXL.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,866
    edited May 2022
    I’ve never really understood the appeal of the Komodo Kamados.  Seems to me you’re paying a lot more for a bunch of stuff (like the exterior) that ultimately doesn’t actually impact the functionality all that significantly.  

It’s like paying Ferrari prices for a car that looks great but has a four cylinder engine under the hood.  People will point and stare at your wheels, sure, but let them drive it and they’re going to discover you’ve got more money than sense.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Photo Egg said:
    To be fair to the KK folks, they addressed that in the comments of the post and I think the cost/lb went up to something like $5.65. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    I’ve never really understood the appeal of the Komodo Kamados.  Seems to me you’re paying a lot more for a bunch of stuff (like the exterior) that ultimately doesn’t actually impact the functionality all that significantly.  

It’s like paying Ferrari prices for a car that looks great but has a four cylinder engine under the hood.  People will point and stare at your wheels, sure, but let them drive it and they’re going to discover you’ve got more money than sense.  
    I completely get the appeal. If I had @SGH money I would surely buy one.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,866

I completely get the appeal. If I had @SGH money I would surely buy one.
    Well sure but that's not really keeping things in perspective, is it?  With SGH money, all sorts of gluttony becomes within reach. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323

Photo Egg said:

Compare the 2XL to the 42" Serious Big Bad - $5.00/lb  vs. $6.40/lb (+/-).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    HeavyG said:

Photo Egg said:

Inquiring minds want to know, what do you run per pound @HeavyG ?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 364
    They say that the kk cooks a lot better. i don’t even think they’re made out of ceramic I think it’s concrete or something. What’s funny is the first burn in they leak and crack on the outside because of the moisture in them. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Mr1egg said:
    They say that the kk cooks a lot better. i don’t even think they’re made out of ceramic I think it’s concrete or something. What’s funny is the first burn in they leak and crack on the outside because of the moisture in them. 
    Imagine the lump required to heat soak 1000# s of ceramic/concrete/tile.
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 364
    Mr1egg said:
    Imagine the lump required to heat soak 1000# s of ceramic/concrete/tile.
    I know I’ve thought about that before, it must take forever to get that thing up to heat. I think they even sell special charcoal made out of coconut husks that has no flavor at all but it’s expensive. 
  • HighHeat
    HighHeat Posts: 218
    The KKs are fugly, but that's just my opinion. To each his/her own.
    Memphis, TN
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I found a nearly brand new one for $800 a few summers ago.  I had the cash but called my brother in law instead and had him pick it up.  It was a beast getting it to his house and back in the yard.  He is in love with it.  Too fussy for me IMO.
  • HeavyG
    edited May 2022
    HeavyG said:

Photo Egg said:

Inquiring minds want to know, what do you run per pound @HeavyG ?
    Doesn't matter - you couldn't afford me.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    I think the most surprising part of this is that the thing has over 120 lbs of stainless in it...
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    I don't think being a thousand pounds is a good selling point. Is this company still run by that guy that stole a yacht and ripped a bunch of other people off?
  • HeavyG
    edited May 2022
    RyanStl said:
    I don't think being a thousand pounds is a good selling point. Is this company still run by that guy that stole a yacht and ripped a bunch of other people off?

No. Different guy and different company.
    Don't a lot of grill manufacturers tout the weight of their grills to indicate "quality" (thicker steel, etc.)?

• bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Hey fellas, can we all just admit that ANY Komodo style cooker is really just an expensive flower pot? And that BBQ is like golf, it's all operator error; buying expensive tools does not make up for the shortcomings of the chef.

That being said, Komodo Kamados are sexy as hell and I would love to have one.
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    HighHeat said:
    Agreed!  However, if we are talking about ridiculously expensive grills that I do want, something from Kalamazoo would do nicely.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • HeavyG
    HighHeat said:
    Agreed!  However, if we are talking about ridiculously expensive grills that I do want, something from Kalamazoo would do nicely.

The Kalamazoo Gaucho is nice but when my winning numbers come in I'll likely go with  Grillworks:

• Slkegger
    Slkegger Posts: 40
    Isn't the KK more like a kamado than the XL?  better distance from fire to deflector and then better distance from deflector to food? The thing I hate most about the XL is the platesetter  sits right on top of the coals then there is a small 2inch?, gap to the grill dropping to 1inch with a drip pan and then 12+inches to the dome completely loosing all the radiant heat advantage of a kamado and... way too much radiant heat from the bottom, very uneven heat distribution. I do turbo brisket flats/leans regularly and even heat distribution is key to a successful cook. The large Bge is a better design?, like the KK and I'm sure I've read people think it cooks the best of the BGE's. Rambling on, I think the KK is built like the Space Shuttle tiles? You're not heat soaking it, you are cooking in a very insulated oven with very even heat distribution due to design.