Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide or not Sous Vide, that is the question.

Options
Yno
Yno Posts: 529

I am having some guests over next month for a BBQ. I will be doing smoked shogun shells as an appetizer, which take almost two hours. The main course will include double cut pork chops, which can also take almost two hours, but I don’t want them ready at the same time. I am considering a couple of methods. 

First is to put the shells on a raised grid for ease of glazing. I can pull the grid off temporarily after an hour or so and throw the chops on the lower grid and go from there. 

Secondly, I could sous vide the chops and sear when we are ready to sit down for din-din. I have only used the Joule for chuck roasts for OTT chili, so I don’t have much experience with this. 

Third choice would be to sous vide the chops the day before and refrigerate them. I don’t know how well this would work.

I am also planning on a bourbon pecan pie on the Egg, so it will be getting a lot of use that day.

I am open to suggestions, although I may just wing it when the time comes.

Thanks, all!

XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    SVing the chops the day before will definitely work.  You’ll know they’re cooked for sure and then all you need to do is sear them to finish.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    totally new concept . . . shogun shells (shotgun?)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    Put the apps on 1 hour before they arrive, then throw chops on
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Shotgun shells Bacon Wrapped Manicotti stuffed with Sausage 

That’s a new term to me! Look delicious! Mind sharing the recipe?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    RRP said:
    lkapigian said:
    Shotgun shells Bacon Wrapped Manicotti stuffed with Sausage 

That’s a new term to me! Look delicious! Mind sharing the recipe?

@RRP , sky is the limit, i stuff with whatever homemade sausage I have on hand , uncooked manicotti shells and wrap in center cut bacon use your favorite rub , I do use a thicker cut bacon, smoke 275 till desired doneness and glaze 

you can stuff by hand pressing the sausage in the shells, I use a sausage stuffer 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's a pretty fabulous menu you have planned!

As mentioned about, I'd consider throwing the shells on well beforehand, maybe keep them warm in the big clock. 

SV the chops. Sear when ready to serve. 

Do the pie the day before. When dinner is winding down, throw it on the egg to warm up. 

I think this may let you have more time with your guests, vs. tending the grub the whole time. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Yno
    Options
    I will have to think carefully about this with a nice glass of wine.....

Thanks for the comments!
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I vote SV the pork ahead of time. You'll be a lot less stressed when you can pull them out and hit it with a sear. Then you can concentrate on your other cook
  • caliking
    Options
    I'm intrigued by these shotgun shells.

What does the texture of the manicotti end up like? Does it soften like boiled pasta? Chewy? Crunchy?

• lkapigian
    Options
    caliking said:

What does the texture of the manicotti end up like? Does it soften like boiled pasta? Chewy? Crunchy?
    @caliking , I would call it "al dente" you could par boil , but I have never felt the need, it is even softer if prepped a day ahead 

They are very rich
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    I vote SV the pork ahead of time. You'll be a lot less stressed when you can pull them out and hit it with a sear. Then you can concentrate on your other cook
    If you do them ahead of time, they will be cold from the fridge.   How do you get them back up to temp, before you add the sear?

I like the original idea to do SV about the same time as the others.  That way, they will be at temp to add the sear.
    Raleigh, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    rekameohs said:
    RyanStl said:
    If you do them ahead of time, they will be cold from the fridge.   How do you get them back up to temp, before you add the sear?

I like the original idea to do SV about the same time as the others.  That way, they will be at temp to add the sear.
    The sear heats them up plenty well.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Larry, assuming you make the manicotti wrapped with bacon to be able to use the stuffer, is that accurate? 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Moleman said:
    Larry, assuming you make the manicotti wrapped with bacon to be able to use the stuffer, is that accurate? 
    Yes, make it a multi use tool then 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    caliking said:

@caliking , I would call it "al dente" you could par boil , but I have never felt the need, it is even softer if prepped a day ahead 

They are very rich
    Never heard of these before, but now I want some. Thanks for the clarification!

• Yno
    Options
    I have made them before, and everyone likes them. I learned of them when someone posted a video of a Texas gal making pig shots. I watched it on YouTube and then went down the BBQ video rabbit hole. These came up and I thought they would be good. They are!
  • Yno
    Options
    If you are a Michelin star chef, you could improve them by using a three cheese blend, but that might be too hard for we mere mortals to make.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I would have the chops sitting in the sous vide bath ready to take out to sear. They can sit there for quite a while. Makes timing easy. How sure are you of the timing for the appetizer and the time your guests will take eating it?  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Yno said:
    If you are a Michelin star chef, you could improve them by using a three cheese blend, but that might be too hard for we mere mortals to make.
    I believe it would need at least five cheeses.
  • Yno
    Options
    I would have the chops sitting in the sous vide bath ready to take out to sear. They can sit there for quite a while. Makes timing easy. How sure are you of the timing for the appetizer and the time your guests will take eating it?  
    The timing on the appetizer is pretty well known. I plan on them being ready just after the guests arrive, and we can then have an hour of conversation and a few bottles of wine. So I have a fair amount of time to ready the chops.

These guests are also (Thank God!) punctual. Others that I have had in the past can show up at the appointed hour plus or minus two bottles of wine!