Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse sear New York Strips

Options
First time for steaks on the egg and first time trying the reverse sear method. And during an incoming storm.

For seasoning, I think that we'll go with salt/pepper. Looks like I add that with olive oil prior to the grill in a baggie for about an hour?

Cooking indirect at 250, using my meater+ to keep an eye on it until it reaches 110-125 (roughly 30 minutes), then pull the convEGGtor and raise temp to 550 for 30-45 seconds.

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Good plan overall.

Some additional info:

1) How long you can sear depends on the temp you pull them off.  At 110 you can sear for about 2 minutes per side and get a great crust - and still not overcook them.  Anything north of 120 I try to keep my sear time to a minimum and will take a less developed crust in return for the right inside temperature.

2) Sear with the lid open - so you are not simultaneously roasting the steaks at a high temp.  Many of us actually keep the bottom vent closed for the sear as well.  You want the fire on the top of the coals.

3) The longer you can salt them the better.  At least 40 minutes although one taste test said to do it at least 6 hours.

https://www.seriouseats.com/perfect-pan-seared-steaks-recipe#:~:text=Moral of the story: If,worst way to do it.

Good luck and get us some good pics.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    Thanks! Steaks are seasoned and waiting. The rain came gushing down about 5 minutes after lighting, so I had to close lid and hope that it doesn't go down the top to extinguish it. 

We'll see. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    You can sear even hotter than that ... I normally sear at 600F minimum. And they only need like 15 to 20 seconds per side ... Literally I put down ... wait 7 to 10 seconds, change angle 45 degrees to get those nice hatched grill patterns, wait 7 to 10 seconds ... flip over and repeat that on other side.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    it took longer than I thought just to get close to 500, so I couldn't wait and I seared them. Wow...we loved them. 

paired it with Bush grilling beans. So good!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bbracey21
    bbracey21 Posts: 319
    Options
    Great looking cool right there! I cooked some Costco NY strips over the weekend. Last week they ran their prime NY strips on sale at 12.99 per # which is worth the extra money imo. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    That looks tremendous @JohnfromKentucky!

@Foghorn offers some great suggestions above. I also like to remove from indirect heat closer to 115 degrees.
    Stillwater, MN